MissMelons

The Air Brush Compendium

I know absolutely nothing about airbrushes, besides how loud they can be. It may be on my Christmas List this year if I can figure out/learn about it first.

What are the different types of handles? How can you tell a good one from a bad one? What mechanisms do you need for it? Are there are technical things I should know about compressors? What's the benefit of where the paint goes in (side, top, back or bottom).

General advice for anything not asked is welcome. This is for everyone who is airbrush curious.

There have been like 4 very recent threads dealing with Airbrushes (and their general components) and even a big discussion in the Acquisitions thread, all within the last 2-3 months. 

To the MODS - IMO we need to merge and sticky these threads into 1 advice thread for people as it's a very valid thing to have for people looking to get into airbrushing our figures.

ETA:

Threads:

Airbrush Masks

Airbrush for Hubby

Care & Feeding for Airbrush

My Next & Last Airbrush

Airbrush Assistance

Airbrush & Paint Question

Airbrush Cleaning and Advice

Airbrush Newb Help

Help Setting up First Airbrush

Cheap Airbrush and Cheap Paints

Learning to use Airbrush

To Brush with the Air

Airbrush Equipment & Recommendations

Airbrush & Thinning Reaper Paints

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 4

Agreed.

I will state, though, that I have found that a $100 compressor with tank performs just as well as the $300 ones.

Spend your money on the brush and not the compressor.

• Like 3

Ack There are?!? My bad guys. I'll hunt more. I hadn't seen one recently.

I just edited my post to add in threads found with just a quick search of "airbrush" in the forum search area.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

Agreed.

I will state, though, that I have found that a $100 compressor with tank performs just as well as the $300 ones.

Spend your money on the brush and not the compressor.

QFT! I really like my new cheap compressor. Its quiet and I have plenty of air. Plus my 15' hose reaches both my paint area and the bathroom sink to aid in cleaning it out between colors.

• Like 3

Miss Melons, I can bring my small compressor and airbrush to the CMON expo if you want to play around with it.

• Like 3

Miss Melons, I can bring my small compressor and airbrush to the CMON expo if you want to play around with it.

Yes please!

Edit: Awesome Ub3r thanks!!!!

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 2

The Mr and you could also come down south and I would be happy to teach what I know!

• Like 3

The Mr and you could also come down south and I would be happy to teach what I know!

Next time we venture to South America sure. :P

• Like 3

Edit: Awesome Ub3r thanks!!!!

No problem, I think everything you want to know is within those threads, but I still think it all should be merged into 1 easy to find "compendium" for forum members.

• Like 2

Plus you get to practice Spanish, and we can do a youtube series "The Melons and the Noob try Airbrushing". Family fun  :blush:

• Like 4

Plus you get to practice Spanish, and we can do a youtube series "The Melons and the Noob try Airbrushing". Family fun :blush:

LOL! Uh huh with Willen and Mr Melons giggling at my jumbled poorly pronounced Spanish. :P

• Like 3