Shelving suggestions?

I have picked up several of these at a store called "Daiso."  They are great at fitting inside bookshelves or on table-tops to display and keep dust off models.  Daiso is a japanese dollar store. I have only ever seen them in the Seattle area, Vancouver, BC and San Francisco (I have heard they're actually in Japan, too).  They do have an online store, as well.  They stores may exist in other cities.  They are called "Collection Box Arch"  They're between $3-5 each depending on the size.  Good luck finding your storage solution!

attachicon.gifIMG_20140901_185205.jpg

These come in packs of 12?

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it helps, I've found US websites selling MYTOKA Box World display.  very similar concept to the Daiso ones

They have those MYTOKA Box World display on Amazon for about $30. I've never seen them before, thank you for sharing. I'm going to add that to my wishlist.

I will also suggest checking local Goodwill/Salvation Army/estate sales for glass-fronted display cabinets, if you have room for such a piece of furniture. Secondhand, you can often find them pretty cheaply, and they make nice display cabinets. Ours (which was inherited when my father-in-law decided to retire and move) has a nice glass-enclosed hutch as well as ample storage in the lower cabinetry for other game-related material. I intend to add LED tape to the inside edges of the hutch, but that's about all the modifications it needs (I have lots of risers for display, so no need to add shelves in my case).

I acquirred two camera display cases when the local Source stores (Canadian Radio Shack) changed out their fixtures.  They are 6'X3'X10" metal cabs with ten glass shelves, sliding glass doors, and a built-in florescent lighting fixture.  Total cost?  Free!!! 

The Egg

• Like 2

I have picked up several of these at a store called "Daiso."  They are great at fitting inside bookshelves or on table-tops to display and keep dust off models.  Daiso is a japanese dollar store. I have only ever seen them in the Seattle area, Vancouver, BC and San Francisco (I have heard they're actually in Japan, too).  They do have an online store, as well.  They stores may exist in other cities.  They are called "Collection Box Arch"  They're between $3-5 each depending on the size.  Good luck finding your storage solution!

attachicon.gifIMG_20140901_185205.jpg

These come in packs of 12?

Not if you buy them at a store, but it seems like they do if you buy them online.

if it helps, I've found US websites selling MYTOKA Box World display.  very similar concept to the Daiso ones

They have those MYTOKA Box World display on Amazon for about $30. I've never seen them before, thank you for sharing. I'm going to add that to my wishlist.

those ones with the steps are super cool!

• Like 2

So I am looking into a case with a door on it that I can hang on a wall. I'm looking two of them on Amazon.com 

1. Shot Glass Display Case
  2. Thimble Display Case

The Shot Glass Case that I am looking at should work more than enough and I have no doubt it will work.

• 71 Shot Glass Rack Wall Display Case Holder Cabinet with glass door, SC08-WALN

The Thimble Display Case also seems like it will work but my concern is not having enough space in the case.

• 100 Thimble Display Case Wall Cabinet Holder Shadow Box, with Real Glass Door and Felt Interior Background-Mahogany Finish (TC100-MAH)

The reason for the debate is price: What do you'll think?

• Like 1

Consider searching for:

Glass Door Curio Display Cabinet Wall Mount with Solid Pine Wood Frame

Wall Curio Cabinet / Wall Shadow Box Display Case for Figurines, CD06-WA

Small Wall Mountable Curio Cabinet Shadow Box, with Glass Door, Mirrored Back, CD06 (Black)

I'm not a fan of having a tiny cubby for every model with the shot glass display cabinet route.. tends to be pretty dark in the middle, imo.

• Like 2

Hey there all!

The printer trays work well for me, they do not have doors, but you could buy some plexiglass and hinges and make some...

I knew them as "California Job Cases" and I have 2 of them. 1  the wife found on e bay, the other my folks gave me when they moved.

I cut out some of the dividers with an X Acto saw, painted them with GW 'Rough coat' and screwed them to the wall with toggle bolts.

post-14271-0-68435300-1436138822_thumb.jpg

post-14271-0-80060800-1436138849_thumb.jpg

These are full of 'monsters' and are hung up by where we game for easy access. There have been more added since.... :mellow:

They are not good for larger minis, mainly 'human' size and smaller. The length / width of the base is the deciding factor as to weather you want to put a figure there...

• Like 3

Ikea has some new display case options I hadn't seen in the past

the black/white comes with one glass shelf.  The small square in the birch doesn't have any extra shelves, but it is the same width of another case in the series that is long and skinny and hangs on the wall (not pictured). If Ikea has spare parts on hand in their warehouse, they'll give them to you if you go wait in line for it.  I figure with either of the small cases, it would not be too hard to get another glass shelf (you could even have a glass shop cut them to size not too expensively) and drill holes to add additional shelves.  If you got the larger case as pictured you could also try to get spare shelves from their warehouse.

The birch comes with 3 different background color options, so you don't have to have orange. :)

I think you'd want to put a light inside the black or white one, since the edging on the door is much thicker, but it doesn't obscure line of site to as much inside as you'd think.  

the small squares were only $39, which is pretty reasonable.  I think the larger one was around 90.

Ali

post-1467-0-76971300-1439774748_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-64413400-1439774802_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

IKEA also has a bookshelf called LAIVA that works great for displaying minis.  We got one to put next to the entertainment center and it got filled up quick with minis and console game stuff and pictures.  About a week ago we bought a second for the other side and dedicated it to my daughter's minis she has painted and console gaming.  It still looks pretty full.  Downside is if your place is as dusty as mine then you will need to clean the shelves/minis 2-3 times a month or it will get out of hand.

Edit: forgot to mention the best part.  The bookshelf is only $29.99!

Edited by hungerfan