So the theme of today is "Does SigmaOne need a highlighting intervention?"  I started this guy a couple of weeks ago, mostly because I didn't care about the figure that much (at first) and I haven't done a mini in a while, so I wanted something to brush-up with. Now I care enough that I want it too look decent. The skin is (was?) intended to be complete, aside from cleaning up its border. I felt pretty good about the highlighting and shading of the skin the day I did it. Coming back to it two weeks later I see a few things that certainly should be touched up, but I'm wondering whether or not it works at all. 

I'd be happy for any gentle advice.

KJr2d51.jpg  b2ocXiP.jpg

ugCR2dQ.jpg  5PGqFO3.jpg  loI7Td0.jpg

Now that I've got some pigments on it, I think this is a sculpt with a ton of character, and I like it quite a bit. I hope I can do it some justice.

I wish my skills were commensurate with my standards, one way or the other. 

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 9

I think it looks good, but the paint seems like it's chalking up on you a bit in places which makes it look pretty rough.

How are you thinning your paints?

Just tap water.  I had tried using a "version" of Anne Foerster's recipe found in The Craft, but didn't match the brands properly (I mostly used Liquitex stuff I think, but I'd have to check), and so it led to the paint having a glossy character I didn't want.

I think it looks good, but the paint seems like it's chalking up on you a bit in places which makes it look pretty rough.

How are you thinning your paints?

Just tap water.  I had tried using a "version" of Anne Foerster's recipe found in The Craft, but didn't match the brands properly (I mostly used Liquitex stuff I think, but I'd have to check), and so it led to the paint having a glossy character I didn't want.

I suggest matte medium (a drop or two). The other thing that works is a tiny drop of brush-on sealer from Reaper (the stuff is magic in a bottle), but if you do the brush-on sealer you'll have to make sure to hit the whole thing in a dull cote sealer afterwards to bring shine back down for sure.

Basically when you think with just water down to where you are, the pigments are leaving the suspension and you are losing coverage, which results in chalkiness, another thing is you may not have your brush wet enough and the paint is drying leaving behind pebbling of the paint. 

So thin paint with the matte medium such as from Golden or Liquidtex, usually I do a ratio of around 2 drops paint, 1 drop water and 1 drop matte medium for a good thin paint that I like which won't pebble and dry chalky. YMMV depending on what brand of paint and what brand of matte medium you use. Again, always make sure your brush is wet enough with water too otherwise you'll still get the drying effect.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

Ub3r has the right of it. Good advise to be sure. Fixing chalky once I have it on the mini already, I will thin the base coat color down to a glaze and paint the whole area once. LET IT DRY. Then coat again till the chalky effect is gone. Works pretty well.

• Like 2

Thanks Uber, I'll try that. I do have some liquitex matte medium, so I'll try the 2 paint : 1 water : 1 matte medium mixture. I'll also try the glazing you mention DixonGrfx. When you thin for a glaze, do you keep the proportions the same? 

• Like 2

Thanks Uber, I'll try that. I do have some liquitex matte medium, so I'll try the 2 paint : 1 water : 1 matte medium mixture. I'll also try the glazing you mention DixonGrfx. When you thin for a glaze, do you keep the proportions the same? 

Glazes should be thinner, so try the 1 paint: 1 water : 1 matte medium. They need to be thin enough to see through and you want to take most of the paint off your brush (you can use a paper towel, a sponge, a coffee filter, or a piece of palette paper for example) so it's like a thin water color you are applying in thin layers that may take 5+ coats to tint it back to where you want it. That's basically what the glazing is doing, it's tinting in small amounts.

• Like 2

Glazes should be thinner, so try the 1 paint: 1 water : 1 matte medium. They need to be thin enough to see through and you want to take most of the paint off your brush (you can use a paper towel, a sponge, a coffee filter, or a piece of palette paper for example) so it's like a thin water color you are applying in thin layers that may take 5+ coats to tint it back to where you want it. That's basically what the glazing is doing, it's tinting in small amounts.

Oh, I'm an idiot, I wasn't thinking when I asked that. Of course I could have the same proportions!  But if it's not thin enough with 1:1:1 do you think its better to up the matte medium rather than the water to help avoid the chalkiness?

Thanks for all the advice!  

I always get annoyed with myself because I spend months not painting, and I imagine I could be so much better by now if I did it more consistently. I need to remember that its the journey that's important. 

• Like 1

Oh, I'm an idiot, I wasn't thinking when I asked that. Of course I could have the same proportions!  But if it's not thin enough with 1:1:1 do you think its better to up the matte medium rather than the water to help avoid the chalkiness?

I always get annoyed with myself because I spend months not painting, and I imagine I could be so much better by now if I did it more consistently. I need to remember that its the journey that's important. 

Should be fine with an added drop of water as that shouldn't thin it too much as to make it lose suspension. You'll probably want to play around with the mixes a bit and get a feel for them and maybe test out on a different primed figure you don't mind trying things out on and then stripping it afterwards.

• Like 2

to add to Ub3r's comments. Typically base coat colors don't "chalk" as much because they don't tend to have as much white or titanium pigment. So the the chalking effect is less likely to to occur no matter your "dilution solution"  (hehehe,  just made that up) and the mixture should be easier to get the consistency of a glaze without problems.

• Like 2

Should be fine with an added drop of water as that shouldn't thin it too much as to make it lose suspension. You'll probably want to play around with the mixes a bit and get a feel for them and maybe test out on a different primed figure you don't mind trying things out on and then stripping it afterwards.

Heh, this might be the figure I reprime.  I made several attempts at the eyes this afternoon, and ultimately the first were the best. The weren't very good, but the corrections never quite got better and eventually, even as I was getting more comfortable placing the brush for the eyes, I had built up too much gunk, and his left eye jutted out so far it seemed his eyeball was nearly popping out. He didn't deserve that.  I've scraped the paint off with a hobby knife, and I'm hoping that I can just prime over the part I scraped again and retry the eyes. Will that work, or will I have to worry about issues where the old paint meets the newly re-primed part?

Shouldn't have issues, but trying is how you will find out if you will have issues :)

In my experience, you can level-up even with very spaced-apart painting sessions, so don't worry too much about that, just paint when you can, and look for more chances to do so, and when you DO sit down... more paint! Less worry!

• Like 1

Shouldn't have issues, but trying is how you will find out if you will have issues :)

In my experience, you can level-up even with very spaced-apart painting sessions, so don't worry too much about that, just paint when you can, and look for more chances to do so, and when you DO sit down... more paint! Less worry!

I definitely  do feel like I'm much better than when I started; but I am just very self-conscious since I feel out of place trying to be visually artistic. I'm just hoping that I'm right in believing its very much a "craft" in the sense that with practice and technique I'll eventually get consistently good results, as opposed to an "art" that requires a special something I don't think I have.

. more paint! Less worry!

This should be my mantra. :-)