ReaperCon 2011 Adventure Sophie

I've been staring at an assembled, partially painted Adventure Sophie for the last year or so. However, I was able to make some process over the last few weeks. Critique/advice most welcome!

post-7750-0-92672000-1434552260_thumb.jpg

Progress:

- Shirt and pants done

- Flesh mostly done. Her lower face looks weird in the picture due to the bad lighting, but much better in person

- Hair

- Whip

Main ToDos:

- Leather bits: boots, belts, gloves, etc.

- Wings: going to be using the Dark Skin triad for this. Based with Dark Shadow. Bone triad for the claw on each wing.

- Gun: Doing good, realistic guns still eludes me. Any advice?

- Base stone, etc.

Edit: Sorry the post title doesn't conform to guidelines.

Edited by paedia
  • Like 9

I'm not sure about the guns. Do you have a finished pic of a previous gun project to reference? I always shade and highlight with metallics, although I haven't done a lot of guns either...

I think you need to up the contrast quite a bit yet to really make her pop. Start by deepening the shadows, and I mean all the shadows from the skin and hair down through her clothes and boots.

Thanks for the advice! Any recommendations on color choices for deepening the shadows? My first thoughts would be:

- Mahogany Brown in the deepest recesses of the hair. I did do a mahogany wash prior to highlighting, but more is needed it seems.

- The skin is Rosy Shadow triad + Fair Skin HL at top end. Maybe Dark Skin for the shadow?

- I used the Khaki triad on the pants and True Blue triad on shirt. Perhaps Walnut + shadow portion of the triad?

- haven't started shading the boots, but I was planning on using the Ruddy-Oiled-Burnt Orange triad on them (and gloves, belts, etc.)

• Like 1

I think you need to up the contrast quite a bit yet to really make her pop. Start by deepening the shadows, and I mean all the shadows from the skin and hair down through her clothes and boots.

Thanks for the advice! Any recommendations on color choices for deepening the shadows? My first thoughts would be:

- Mahogany Brown in the deepest recesses of the hair. I did do a mahogany wash prior to highlighting, but more is needed it seems.

- The skin is Rosy Shadow triad + Fair Skin HL at top end. Maybe Dark Skin for the shadow?

- I used the Khaki triad on the pants and True Blue triad on shirt. Perhaps Walnut + shadow portion of the triad?

- haven't started shading the boots, but I was planning on using the Ruddy-Oiled-Burnt Orange triad on them (and gloves, belts, etc.)

Loving how she is coming along. Here are my ideas for your shadows and such although do what you like and feel free to ignore any or all of my ideas. :)

Consider a burgundy wine or purple red for most of your shadows. I think the hair could use a bit of more shadows and highlights, maybe try the highest points of the hair to a blonde.

Her pants would look great with a bit of burgundy wine mixed into your deepest color I think. I use burgundy wine a lot to shade my greens even olives.

For the blue try adding a bit of deep red to the blue and apply it in the areas of deepest shadow if it leans to red just glaze a blue over it to bring back the focus to blue.

I think the browns would also work with a purple red shadow to help tie all your shadows together.

The skin though may be easier to shade with Chestnut brown mixed with a bit of tanned shadow of even your darkest rosy flesh, females skin shouldn't have too much shadow or you risk making her look old. A bit of linen white would help pull the fair skin a bit higher in spots. Although after looking at her skin again maybe start with glazing a ruddy color softly in her shadows and even a bit to ease some transitions.

Oh and try adding a white relection to her eyes.

Overall she looks like she is off to a good start I like the blue vest it helps add a pop of color. Her face is very pretty and I look forward to seeing her finished.

Edited by Marsya
  • Like 4

Loving how she is coming along. Here are my ideas for your shadows and such although do what you like and feel free to ignore any or all of my ideas. :)

Consider a burgundy wine or purple red for most of your shadows. I think the hair could use a bit of more shadows and highlights, maybe try the highest points of the hair to a blonde.

Her pants would look great with a bit of burgundy wine mixed into your deepest color I think. I use burgundy wine a lot to shade my greens even olives.

For the blue try adding a bit of deep red to the blue and apply it in the areas of deepest shadow if it leans to red just glaze a blue over it to bring back the focus to blue.

I think the browns would also work with a purple red shadow to help tie all your shadows together.

The skin though may be easier to shade with Chestnut brown mixed with a bit of tanned shadow of even your darkest rosy flesh, females skin shouldn't have too much shadow or you risk making her look old. A bit of linen white would help pull the fair skin a bit higher in spots. Although after looking at her skin again maybe start with glazing a ruddy color softly in her shadows and even a bit to ease some transitions.

Oh and try adding a white relection to her eyes.

Overall she looks like she is off to a good start I like the blue vest it helps add a pop of color. Her face is very pretty and I look forward to seeing her finished.

Thank you for the extensive advice! I'll try some of those tips out.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to get some more work done on Sophie. I added more shadow to the boots, hair, and flesh. I still need to do some shadow work on her shirt. Looking at the picture, I notice that I need to smooth out some of the transitions on her boots. Still todo: Wings, pistol, base.

post-7750-0-63635700-1435943733_thumb.jpg

Edited by paedia
  • Like 8
  • 8 months later...