An alternative to sanding needles/sticks

Loim

So, apologies if this has been brought up before. While prepping Gandorf for paint I have found a good viable alternative to sanding sticks and needles. Sand paper, or emery cloth. I've been using very small squares of it. About 180 grit. Rub it across the mold line against the sharpest edge and it slices it right off. It it also easier, in my opinion, to get it into the very fine areas, since it can be shaped or folded to match the contours. Hope this helps some of you out. I know it has helped decrease my Bones prep time. 

• Like 14

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to start a thread about prepping Bones figures.  I had a figure cleaned and primed and picked up mold lines.  I thried a scalpel blade and a file, but they seem to rough up the figure -- not leave a clean surface.

I'll try the small chunks of sandpaper technique.  I am familiar with it since I use it on plastic models to clean up putty/cyno/sprue fillers in tight spaces.

• Like 1

• Artists

Reaper's brush-on sealer can work for that. Many of us use it often for smoothing issues on metal figures all the time. It'll take more coats than a heavy gloss varnish, but if it's all you've got handy, it'll do the job. (And with thicker varnishes, make sure to smooth out the edge line where you apply it or you'll be adding texture unintentionally.)

• Like 1