czebas

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:wow: WOW! :wow:

I just used Scale 75 for the first time. :wow:

I bought the Blood and Fire set, and the Metal n' Alchemy Gold set since they are on sale, and I just used the SC72 Viking Gold to base coat 2 Candelabra (P02990B:)

That has got to be the best metallic paint I have ever used! It covered in one coat, went on smooth as silk, and is in no way grainy / gritty in the way that other metallics in my experience have acted. I am including dim memories of enamel metallics as well.

If the Reds work like this I am going to go broke quick replacing all my GW paint with this stuff... and I have almost every color they make.... :down:

post-14271-0-44598300-1440311752_thumb.jpg  post-14271-0-11785600-1440311765_thumb.jpg

8)

George

• Like 10

Yeah. I have identified from my use a couple paints I hate, mostly due to the glooby consistency issue, but for the most part they are awesome.

I still like other brands MORE for some paints. RMS pure white and linen white, plus some of the skin colors for example. VMC for the greyish colors and kakhis...

• Like 1

The reds go on pretty well. You'll always see some issues with red and yellow but they cover quite nicely.

Yeah. I have identified from my use a couple paints I hate, mostly due to the glooby consistency issue, but for the most part they are awesome.

I still like other brands MORE for some paints. RMS pure white and linen white, plus some of the skin colors for example. VMC for the greyish colors and kakhis...

Which paints from the Blood and Fire set do you guys dislike? I just received mine but haven't tested any paint yet. Are they better than MSP reds in any way?

What about Scale75 greens? I didn't like the viper green from LTPK, but perhaps is just my lack of skill, as I have painted only 4 miniatures...

The reds go on pretty well. You'll always see some issues with red and yellow but they cover quite nicely.

Which paints from the Blood and Fire set do you guys dislike? I just received mine but haven't tested any paint yet. Are they better than MSP reds in any way?

What about Scale75 greens? I didn't like the viper green from LTPK, but perhaps is just my lack of skill, as I have painted only 4 miniatures...

I love all the ones from the Blood and Fire set. I have issues with some of the Wood and Leather, and Flesh sets. But again, those are like the first batch ever, bought them in France when there where only the first 4 sets available and nobody knew them, so, I am told they have improved. Basically, the medium/pigment ratio is not nice on all the paints, and I have issues thinning them. Main problems are with Gobi Brown, Indian Shadow... YMMV

For what it's worth, I find the blues and greens in their sets gorgeous. The reds are good for... well, red, which always have coverage issues. I don't own a lot of MSP paints, but Blood Red is very similar to SC74 Blood Red. I could use one or the other without noticing a lot. Just keep in mind, MSP flows easier off the bottle and off the brush, and SC75 will require experimenting and dillution to get there, so work with them for a while. 

• Like 2

I have gotten in the habit that when I'm going to use the Scalecolors I don't work with any other paint that session unless there is an instance where its part of the layering scheme. The regular line just takes that much getting use to, the fantasy line is much, much closer to Reaper's HD line as far as consistency and coverage right out of the bottle. Like Willen's my sets are quite "old" and are likely first formula paints. I agree that overall the metals are fantastic. The blues from both the regular series and that fantasy series are my favorites and I struggle a lot with their Flesh set, to the point that I went in and color matched their flesh tones to Reapers.

I thought I would add the link to how I match colors on my blog: http://www.wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-new-skintone-receipe.html

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 3

If you are like me you may thin your paints a lot... I like to glaze, not great at it yet, but it is my fav way of painting.

The Fantasy Scale75 were breaking up with just water. So last night I mad a mix of flow improver a bit of retarded and distilled water. No more breaking up. They are so translucent and nice for glazing. I love them so much! Now if only I was a better painter....

• Like 3

I mix Windsor&Newton Flow Improver with water by their directions (1-6 I think) and add that to all my paints while still in the container. I will thin them down more usually when I start painting. It comes out of the bottle a little easier, and I do this when I am adding the split shot agitator....

George

The fantasy line isn't as thick as the other line (per my understanding of what others have posted)

It comes out of the bottle easily.

I have also thinned it with Secret Weapon washes when I was making the red more pink. I used cotton candy wash and it pumped up the color and thinned it.

• Like 1

The fantasy line isn't as thick as the other line (per my understanding of what others have posted)

I have also thinned it with Secret Weapon washes when I was making the red more pink. I used cotton candy wash and it pumped up the color and thinned it.

Adding anything INSIDE paint bottles is risking contamination, undesired reactions, and tears down the road. Be warned.

• Like 3

Adding anything INSIDE paint bottles is risking contamination, undesired reactions, and tears down the road. Be warned.

I haven't put anything in the bottles. I like my minis like my bourbon, mixed in small quantities.

• Like 2

Been doing it for years....

No damaged paints yet....

George