Looking to assemble something... strange

Hey, everyone. First time here and whatnot. Anyway, a friend of mine had a somewhat awesome idea for a character. I've been looking for miniatures to suit this character, but, understandably been unable to find any. As such, I thought it might be a good idea to kitbash one together instead.

He mentioned a mechanical version of the Mad Hatter, something akin to a combination of Workshop Shaco from League of Legends and the Motorized Patriot from Bioshock Infinite (In a top hat of course), wielding a comically large pair of scissors. I was immediately entrenched with the idea. So, now I'd like to assemble this Mecha-Joker-Hatter for myself. Any ideas for what parts to use, or of an existing mini that mostly or entirely fits?

• Like 4
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure my local game store sells Malifaux, so I'll have to check that out. The big problem with that seems to be that you can't buy figures individually, and I've no interest in undead hookers. I've also come across 50307: Mr Grimm from the Chronoscope line. He seems like he might also be a decent starting point, but I get the feeling he might be a bit... tall. Can anyone verify? Also, does anyone have any experience with Reaper's Cyborg Parts Conversion Kit (50201)? Thanks for all the help.

Edited by Oudynfury

The big problem with that seems to be that you can't buy figures individually, and I've no interest in undead hookers.

If you look to go this route, you might be able to sell off the other models to a Malifaux player. 

• Like 1

Malifaux was my first thought too.  Trying to keep him in 28mm humanoid scale?  Or could he be size Large with extra-huge scissors?

Anyway, find an old watch or destroy any appliance with working parts.  They're treasure troves of gears and bits and sprockets and whatsits.  I'm imagining a humanoid done like Wyrmgear, with cogs as pauldrons and/or at each joint. VCRs and sewing machines are among the best for scavenging.

Edited by BLZeebub

Either the upper end of medium or lower of large for his size, I think. He was envisioned somewhere between seven and nine feet tall and fairly thin. (But he's a Hatter after all. He can probably shrink and grow on a whim). Neat idea with the watch. I'll have to see if I have any old watches I'm not too attached to, as I can't just scavenge the one my Great Grandmother gave me. As for the scissors, they're probably large in comparison to him - think either ribbon cutting scissors or Kill la Kill.

Edited by Oudynfury

What about using the Wildwest Tin Man or Blood Nebula Mercenary or Slade Cyborg Hero as your body.  Then taking Jack the Ripper's Head.  Adding a cloak from Judas or Selthak.

Alternatively, look at Selthak the Poisoner.  His armor could very easily be painted to look mechanical, and then add some greeblies.  He's got a great cloak.  Just swap his head with the Jack the Ripper, and swap the daggers with the scissors from the Evil Jack in the Box

You might be able to find a small scissors charm in the beading or scrap booking section too that would be more cartoonishly large.

Edited by Qwyksilver