I started this piece about a month back, slowly finding time to work on it piece by piece between other projects.

It is the second in a series of small dioramas made using minis from various companies that I had lying around going unused. This one uses some Kings of War Dwarves and a Reaper Ogre. This is also my first major attempt sculpting with foam to create a more interesting base than just rocky terrain that is my usual fall back. 

As an illustrator and designer, all my work tends to start with drawings first.

Early concept:

post-14255-0-72222800-1435082319_thumb.jpg

• Like 22

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First work in progress shots:

photo_2015-06-23_11-35-17_zpskebpuobk.jp

Rough foam placement  onto cork base. This the test fitting of the tree armature, making sure it hangs right over the Ogre.

Then I glued and spackled the foam in place with wire pins to secure it and prevent sheering. Next, the tree armature was coated and roughly sculpted using milliput.

photo_2015-06-23_11-35-27_zpsqaaycf0w.jp

• Like 22

Great work on the tree, is it possible to have a few more angles to see how the roots go within the building ruins?

Yeah, I can try and show the back a little more in subsequent shots. It is all painted up now, so those particular images will have to come a little bit down the road on the WIP shots.

• Like 4

Ditto on the tree! It is really believable. It looks great. This is a very evocative diorama. That ogre doesn't know what's coming, with that racial training.

If I may toss my two cents into the wishing well...one concern is that your floor bricks look just like your wall bricks. If they get the same paint treatment/color, it may look a little odd. Also, it's hard for me to tell for certain, but the lower right dwarf looks like he's not looking at the ogre. Maybe it's just the camera angle.

• Like 3

Ditto on the tree! It is really believable. It looks great. This is a very evocative diorama. That ogre doesn't know what's coming, with that racial training.

If I may toss my two cents into the wishing well...one concern is that your floor bricks look just like your wall bricks. If they get the same paint treatment/color, it may look a little odd. Also, it's hard for me to tell for certain, but the lower right dwarf looks like he's not looking at the ogre. Maybe it's just the camera angle.

That is a reasonable critique. I didn't really think of of the flooring thing. Thanks for the suggestion as the big project after this is a ramped up set of ruins so I will keep that in mind. Got any good reference for how to do the floor/paving stones better?

As far as the dwarves go, I found the sculpts kind of mediocre and limited. I did notice the eye-line issue but was working with it the best I could. I suppose I could have played back and forth a bit with the landscape to get them to fit better. (Also, a different dwarf was supposed to be on the far right, but I didn't like how the mini looked after assembly). 

Thanks so much for your input, more to think about going forward.

• Like 1