I'm looking to build a foam insulation castle in 28mm scale for a young lady. I plan on populating it with some Bonesium Heroines and Heroes and Monsters. My current plan is to paint the walls to look like Rose Quartz.

The reason I bring this up is I would appreciate direction to any good resources for said castle. I have found some through Google, but it's hard sifting through all the unrelated information I get.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

• Like 6
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to build a foam insulation castle in 28mm scale for a young lady. I plan on populating it with some Bonesium Heroines and Heroes and Monsters. My current plan is to paint the walls to look like Rose Quartz.

The reason I bring this up is I would appreciate direction to any good resources for said castle. I have found some through Google, but it's hard sifting through all the unrelated information I get.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Talk to sappet102 - he builds stuff like that all the time, check out his Guard Tower and wall for example.

• Like 3

Castles & other types of fortifications are something I've never had occasion or inclination to try...other than an odd tower, like my Rapuuzel's Twisted Tower

FSCN0028.JPG

However, one of the fellows from Lead Adventure Forum has an ongoing (18 page) step by step thread on his castle building project...in insulation foam:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=69816.0

• Like 8

Are you going for a traditional medieval stone castle made from rose quartz blocks or a more fantastic crystalline-walled style--as in a given wall may be a single sheet/crystal of quartz?

Here's my (unfortunate) sole castle:  For the former, I used textured wallpaper--prime it first or any washes will soak right through and dilute--over cardboard boxes and rolls.  You could also build the walls directly from thinner insulation (say 3/4" might be the thinnest normally available--perfect for 25-30mm) and use a ballpoint pin to "draw" the joints between stones.  It can be tedious but it looks good.  Same trick can be used on egg-carton styrofoam for a facade.

For the latter you could do something similar to the terrain base.  It's blue insulation cut with various hot-wire cutters, hacksaws, sandpaper, etc.  Hope that helps.  And definitely keep us posted!

Ed:  yes, it sparkles--I made it for my (at the time) 5 year old.  I think it's a premixed glitter suspension, but lose glitter in PVA and water, or acrylic medium works too.

post-11248-0-51947300-1435406819_thumb.jpg

post-11248-0-23361700-1435406826_thumb.jpg

post-11248-0-51792900-1435406832_thumb.jpg

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Annie
      Hi chums!

This is the latest Kickstarter project, expanding our fantasy range this time, and bringing light to the ones we have that might not have been noticed. Along with some super cool female minis, we have some brand new scenics too, and a whole bunch of add on bundles.
      I'll post more on the lead up, but for now if you're interested, could you click the "notify me" on the pre launch page and it will help the algorithms, and you know algorithms are the new gods!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/definitely-not-damsels-28mm-women-warriors-for-ttrpg

• By Inarah
      This could be more exciting, but it's not.  I chose this as a test piece before I tackle Dragons Don't Share II.  Nice piece, it came together in a jiffy. I'm trying to copy the local limestone, and didn't quite get there with this, but it's a starting point. 

• By Inarah
      These look like fun.  26 hours left.... 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1004971769/skrap-runtz-3d-printable-miniatures-0?

• By Mckenna35
      Stumbled across this and thought others might find it of interest.  They certainly have some different figures.  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wildspire/monsters-of-solan-fantasy-monster-miniatures

tory

Welcome!
       Need generic and predictable miniature designs?? We are not for you. 
       Imaginative fantasy absolutely requires imaginative miniatures.  Our primary aim is to provide miniatures that surprise backers and enhance their creativity and spark their imagination. Made for fantasy tabletop role-playing games, like Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder, but also for painters and collectors. 
      Special thanks and recognition to 3D modeler, Miguel Zavala, aka MZ4250. Many of the designs in this set were designed and crafted by him.  See his Patreon for many FREE 3D printable STL file for download. From this set, his works include: the Lamia, Wyrmling, Lizardfolk, Tiefling Outlander, Deep Gnome, Sharkenbear, Beer Golem, and Ratmancer. The design and size of some of these have been modified for this campaign. 

• By Mckenna35
      I know there are a few folks that do Bolt Action and similar 28mm wargaming (@buglips), so I thought I'd bounce this out there.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tftb/world-war-ii-soviet-railroad?ref=discovery_recommendations

Story
      Railroads are an important means to transport troops, equipment, ammunition and all other kinds of supply to the front. Especially in a country as vast as the Soviet Union with it's endless steppes, only few reliable roads and no major rivers running in the direction of the German advance during Operation Barbarossa in World War II. 
      With this set of detailed buildings and rolling stock in 1/56 scale for 28mm figures you get the opportunity to recreate the crucial fighting around the Soviet railroad system.
      The kits focus on the major pieces of rolling stock available to the Soviet defenders: box cars, gondola cars and flat cars. And the mighty ALCo RSD-1 Diesel Engine which was made available under the US Lend-Lease Act.
      Also included is a typical rural train station with optional additional platforms for all who want to depict a Soviet - or captured German - supply depot, where heavy equipment like tanks and guns are being unloaded.
      And for all of you looking for an armored train - don't worry! We have you covered.
        Talking about railroad tracks:
      We did not see the need to reinvent the wheel, so all kits are designed to be used with
      4Ground Railroad Tracks (available as add-ons to the Kickstarter) or O Gauge Model Railroad Tracks The kits include optional parts enabling you to choose your favorite system while assembling. Going this route has allowed us to concentrate on designing and producing the rolling stock only, which has the advantage of an earlier fulfillment date for the Kickstarter.
      All models are highly detailed on the outside and inside. The interiors are easily accessible, as roofs are removable. In addition, all doors are moveable, which means you can open or close them during gameplay.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 1 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)