Sign in to follow this  
Loim

Castle Building

I'm looking to build a foam insulation castle in 28mm scale for a young lady. I plan on populating it with some Bonesium Heroines and Heroes and Monsters. My current plan is to paint the walls to look like Rose Quartz.

The reason I bring this up is I would appreciate direction to any good resources for said castle. I have found some through Google, but it's hard sifting through all the unrelated information I get.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

• Like 6

I'm looking to build a foam insulation castle in 28mm scale for a young lady. I plan on populating it with some Bonesium Heroines and Heroes and Monsters. My current plan is to paint the walls to look like Rose Quartz.

The reason I bring this up is I would appreciate direction to any good resources for said castle. I have found some through Google, but it's hard sifting through all the unrelated information I get.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Talk to sappet102 - he builds stuff like that all the time, check out his Guard Tower and wall for example.

• Like 3

Castles & other types of fortifications are something I've never had occasion or inclination to try...other than an odd tower, like my Rapuuzel's Twisted Tower

FSCN0028.JPG

However, one of the fellows from Lead Adventure Forum has an ongoing (18 page) step by step thread on his castle building project...in insulation foam:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=69816.0

• Like 8

So I know this guy in Tulsa that has a bunch of foam, and a band saw, and craft glue, and Hirst molds, and....

• Like 4

There are plenty of terrain videos on the YouTubes as well.  Terranscapes has regular videos on Terrain that he builds.  

• Like 2

Are you going for a traditional medieval stone castle made from rose quartz blocks or a more fantastic crystalline-walled style--as in a given wall may be a single sheet/crystal of quartz?

Here's my (unfortunate) sole castle:  For the former, I used textured wallpaper--prime it first or any washes will soak right through and dilute--over cardboard boxes and rolls.  You could also build the walls directly from thinner insulation (say 3/4" might be the thinnest normally available--perfect for 25-30mm) and use a ballpoint pin to "draw" the joints between stones.  It can be tedious but it looks good.  Same trick can be used on egg-carton styrofoam for a facade.

For the latter you could do something similar to the terrain base.  It's blue insulation cut with various hot-wire cutters, hacksaws, sandpaper, etc.  Hope that helps.  And definitely keep us posted!

Ed:  yes, it sparkles--I made it for my (at the time) 5 year old.  I think it's a premixed glitter suspension, but lose glitter in PVA and water, or acrylic medium works too.

post-11248-0-51947300-1435406819_thumb.jpg

post-11248-0-23361700-1435406826_thumb.jpg

post-11248-0-51792900-1435406832_thumb.jpg

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 2

Could always use Hirst arts.... Will be a little heavier but more stable and rugged as well.