Hi sculptors.

When you are building up layers of green stuff and using Vaseline on your tools, do you have to wash your work off between applications? I hadn't really seen this addressed in posts I've read. I'm worried my next layers won't stick.

Gene tells it like this. Putty mixed with Vaseline on your fingertips will stick to putty mixed with Vaseline on your fingertips. No need to wash or otherwise prep the surface for the putty to adhere. If one has vaseline and the other doesn't, that's when you run into problems with the putty sticking.

• Like 2

Gene tells it like this. Putty mixed with Vaseline on your fingertips will stick to putty mixed with Vaseline on your fingertips. No need to wash or otherwise prep the surface for the putty to adhere. If one has vaseline and the other doesn't, that's when you run into problems with the putty sticking.

This is curious.

I wonder why this would be the case...

DixonGfx beat me to it.  As long as you lube your fingers before mixing the putty everything with stick together fine. Gene had a better more scientific answer for why this works, but I don't remember that whole discussion.

• Like 1