I have been wanting to do some things like doors that actually open you know along the lines of some dwarven forge ones.  My question is whats the best way to go about doing that I know its much easier to get the doors in their little holes if its made out of a pvc type material but mine will be resin.  Also what if the top is enclosed like say with an armoire?  Thanks for the info in advance let me know if the information I gave was lacking lol

• Like 1

I use strips of Tyvek envelope material for my 'hidden hinges' since it's well nigh untearable.  I make that hinge the length of the door so it will be secure.

Then I can create decorative hinges on the door itself.

• Like 1

Resin won't bend at all, so it's going to be impossible to simply have a one-piece door with little pins on it that just pop into place in divots in the frame like a plastic one. If you don't want to use Rastl's method, then either the frame or the door itself would need to be multiple pieces that you could glue together after putting them in place.

Two options:

- One, you could use a metal pin to attach the door, just like a regular door in your house. If you drill a hole up through the bottom of the piece, you could insert the pin through it and then seal it off, which would allow you to do it without messing up any of the visible details.

- Or Two. Sculpt either the door or the frame in one piece, and make the other in multiple pieces.

For example, make the door just like the plastic ones, with little pins on the top and bottom. Then sculpt the frame so that the bottom divot is whole but the top of the frame has a slot in it so that you can just slide the top pin into it. Then make a second piece to fit over that slot. Say, the bottom part of the frame has both the front and back of the frame as part of the first piece, but the top only has the back half with an open slot the top pin on the door fits into, and the front part of the frame is a separate piece you'd glue on like assembling a plastic model that had moving parts.

Or you could sculpt the bottom and sides of the frame as one piece, and the entire top as another, which you'd glue on after inserting the door.

Or, you could sculpt the entire frame as one piece, and then make the door in two parts (top and bottom halves, or part of the hinged side as a separate piece) which you'd glue together as you were inserting them.

Probably less complicated to just use a hidden hinge made of some flexible material, though. When I used to make papercraft buildings, I used duct tape for both door hinges and to reinforce the corners.

I like removable doors. So I can switch them out as needed, or just to be able to take them off for carrying. This uses a simple method a lot of people use, but without making it permanent.

I take very thin styrene tubes, just wide enough that they can take a thin paperclip. I cut four small pieces of the tube and mark off the door jamb and the side of the door, so that when the door is in place, the door tubes will be on top of, and touching the jamb tubes.

Next, I snip off two short bits of paperclip, add glue to the ends and jam them into the door tubes so that half their length is still sticking out. Now I glue the door tubes onto the side of the door, paperclips down.

Next, I glue the last two tubes to the door jamb.

Now I can hang my door onto my door jamb and remove it at will.

IMPORTANT NOTES: Remember to space the tubes on door and jamb so that the door has clearance to swing one way. Think of it as a FedEx or UPS truck; the back end will want to swing out wider, so you want to position the tubes on the door jamb closer to the edge of the frame in the direction the door is swinging. And you'll want to position the tubes on the door closer to the "inside" of the door, as well. Otherwise, the jamb will block the door.

Typically, I will build the door frame up on the outside of the room with very thin strips of whatever material I am building my structure from, to help conceal the hinges and make the thing look more uniform.

That's one way to do it, anyway. And yes, styrene loves to be superglued to resin, so long as the resin is clean.

Dwarven Forge PVC doors are made in three pieces:

1. Door, which has pins top and bottom
  2. Door frame and floor, which has a socket to hold the bottom pin of the door.
  3. Capstone, which has a socket to accept the top pin of the door.

For their pieces, the capstone is glued down to the frame capturing the door pins permanently. Nothing would prevent you from making a removable capstone so you could change out your doors at will. To do that, you would probably want a pin (or possibly two pins to keep the capstone from moving) going down from the capstone into the hinge side of the frame.