Sign in to follow this  
Kang

Rab-bots

Hey,

I cast these in aluminum for the family just before Easter using the lost foam method, some dollar store cheap Styrofoam Easter decorations, and a handful of small screws.  My gnome bard PC, Dingle, uses one as his special mount.  So far that is only in an imaginary sense, but I still manage to sneak him onto the battle grid at some point every session and I *will* convince my DM to allow it eventually.  Dingle calls him "Rab-bot".  His special iron golem mount that is, not the DM...

The "shading" was super easy to do - the foam rabbits came coated in a glitter/glue mixture that turns black when it gets burned up by the molten metal.  I just gave them a quick once-over with a scotchbrite pad (AKA scrubbie) to remove this "poor man's patina" from the high points, and this is what they looked like after that.  Other than the Easter coloured felt I glued to the bottoms to save the furniture - my kids like to play with them too, and the underside is where I cut the sprues off, so they're a little less smooth down there without the felt.

Kang

post-4296-0-53929300-1435251967_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Thanks Marineal & David!

Froggy: google Lost Foam Casting, click on some of the many youtube links and there's your demo.  But don't imitate them, they almost all make some dangerous mistakes that could be avoided by doing more reading (edit - I refer here to the obvious hobbyist ones, not car factories or what have you, but don't imitate them either as there are cheaper easier ways than that).  They're fun to watch though...  AlloyAvenue.com is the go-to for backyard metal casters to ask questions and share info if you find you are interested enough to want to actually try it.

The most interesting thing about these rabbots from a casting perspective is that the screws I used for their eyes were screwed into the Styrofoam originals, not the casting itself; no drilling, gluing, or tapping of threads required.  On the downside, they can never be unscrewed as they are fused in place.  I wanted to remove the screws from one rabbot that didn't turn out right so I could remelt him to make other things without contaminating my supply with dissolved steel.  Would.  Not.  Budge.  I wound up beheading him and keeping his misshapen head and melting his body back down.  It's part of something else now.  A key rack shaped like a big aluminum key that I made, I think.  That one has embedded steel too - hooks for hanging rings of keys on.  But it's not a mini.  There's a story behind that, but I'll save it for another time.

I'll be going out of town to try sand casting this weekend for the first time, as well as picking up ingredients for a bigger, better, hotter furnace which I will build this summer.  I hope to cast a sand rammer tool tonight using lost foam, which should help us build the hatchet head molds for my buddy's first casting project, ie. the original reason for the road trip.  The fact that the foundry products store is near his town is just icing.  We don't have a place like that where I live.

Edited by Kang

One of these days when I ever get around to having a job that allows me to do more than just pay the bills I really need to build both a forge and a foundry in my back yard...

• Like 2

Really impressed with your experiments into casting. I'm not familiar with the lost foam method so now I'll have to go look into it, even though I'm probably not adventurous enough to try. Anyways, they look rather nice. Cute with nice shadows, yet still cold and robot. Merciless cute bunny robot overlords.