Cranky Dog

Hobgoblins vs half-orcs. Difference?

Something's been bugging me ever since I saw the desire to have more hobgoblins in Bones 3.

What is a hobgoblin's distinctive features? Often, I see them as basically normal humanoid shape and size, with some beastly facial features who aren't as exaggerated as orcs.

Yet, we already have plenty of minis that fit that description in the form of half-orcs. Same basic shape, different skin colour, may have body hair.

So the question to my fellow Peepers:

"What should be the difference between hobgoblins and half-orcs minis?"

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

Half Orcs have some Human features mixed with Orc.

Hobgoblins are a pure race, longer faces indeed, look at the old Goblin War Giant from Grenadier - those are hobgoblins on him.

And the first Hobgoblins from Citadel did look very different from Orcs.

Also, most of the Half-Orcs Reaper has in Bones are more PCish than monstrous. I'd like a few in pretty standard armor, something that'd have a unified look if I put a half-dozen on the field with a group of goblins.

• Like 3

Well, according to the old (2nd ed and earlier) monster entries on hem, they should look like bigger, tougher goblins, and they should a have a somewhat uniform, regimented, militarized look with better gear that's kept in better condition.

• Like 6

I liked it when Hobgoblins had a quasi-feudal-Japanese look to their armor.

• Like 13

I liked it when Hobgoblins had a quasi-feudal-Japanese look to their armor.

I like that in Eberron Hobgoblin and Orc culture is so different.

Hobgoblins have kind of a feudal Japan feel to them, while the Orcs are the anvient druid society that keeps evil at bay.

• Like 3

Never used a hobgoblin in a game in my life. Always felt they were kind of redundant.

• Like 1

Always found orcs and hobgoblins sort of filled the same niche.  The real difference to me was always the level of civilization and style.

The uniformity is the big thing for me. They are generally portrayed as a very lawful group, and tend to be well equipped, trained and disciplined. Physically they look very similar to humans, except for the faces, which are very distinctively goblinoid.

Orcs on the other hand are larger, stronger, more brutish and chaotic. In my games, even though both groups are evil, it is much easier* to interact and negotiate with hobgoblins.

I wish Reaper had a bones set of them similar to the Otherworld Hobgoblin line, with several different models wearing the same armour. Imagine a line similar to the Reaper Warlord Templar Knights, only with Hobgoblins in Japanese styled armour and open-faced helms.

I even have the two groups fight differently. Orcs rarely use much co-ordination beyond attacking en masse, and are prone to break and flee much sooner (often a single fireball will scare off dozens to hundreds of Orc troops), whereas once Hobgoblins have committed to battle they typically fight until the bitter end. They also tend to use much better tactics, drawing enemies into unfavorable terrain for instance, rather than charge blindly the way Orcs tend to do.

*while they are easy to communicate with, hobgoblins easily offended by slights. I feel this is in keeping with the Japanese theme where honor is very important. PCs who don't show proper respect will definitely find them an implacable enemy.

• Like 5

Never used a hobgoblin in a game in my life. Always felt they were kind of redundant.

I agree. Having hundreds of sapient humanoid races, for every little thing, is a bit… much. I just merge Bugbears, Hobgoblins, Orcs, etc together into one race. Some are more lawful some are more chaotic. I like to merge a lot of the various concepts together. Like by making all the different Elf types one race for example. With individuals of the race being all over the spectrum of wood/wild/snow/light/high/grey/dark/etc. It makes for much more fleshed out and dynamic races in my opinion. Rather then just tropeish stereotypes.

If you want to keep it all split up then Orcs are bulky and green while Hobgoblins are lean and yellow.

• Like 1

I am weird - for my homebrew I go with goblins and hobgoblins being fey - and the hobgoblins are the good ones.

Some goblins are outsiders - aligned with Hell. (She's gone where the goblins go, below, below, below.....)

Orcs are closely related to humans - closely enough that they can freely interbreed. (The difference really is racial, not special....)

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Half orcs are sexy. Hobgoblins are not.

This probably depends a lot on the art style.  Hobgoblins seem like something you could sexy up.  Kind of like how orcs have done in recent years, thanks primarily to WoW I think.

f9a775d22af292a9fbced452cf2b5e4b.jpg

yd6Mj.jpg

4a5da854d1e7a7143ac1d0315222d0c4.jpg

uhe_hobgoblin.gif

hobgoblin_by_the_mirrorball_man-d47nrqt.

Edited by VitM
  • Like 3