So, I'm heading to Connecticon next month; a multi-genre convention about 30 minutes from home.  While there I plan on getting some gaming in, most likely some Pathfinder Society and some of the 5th edition Adventure League.

I have never actually played either one of these games in a con setting.  I've downloaded and read the player guides for each and have a general grasp of the rules:  Make a character, join a level appropriate game and have fun.  Beyond that I'm not sure. 

Does anyone have any advice for a first timer?  Anything in particular to avoid?  Recommended classes, factions, and so forth?

I haven't played recently, but a few years back swarms and other tough resistances made frequent appearances in low-level PFS adventures. Grab an alchemist's fire or two if you can spare the cash. And once your character's established, I think it's still the expectation to buy your own cure wand, which you then loan to the party's divine caster for the duration of the scenario.

• Like 1

I'm a regional coordinator for Pathfinder Society and I play Adventure League pretty frequently. If you have any questions I should be able to help. Just email me at [email protected]

Both campaigns have characters start at 1 and work up from there. PFS has Pregen characters at level 1,4 or 7 of many of the available classes. AL only has 8 level 1 pregens to pick from. PFS allows you to pretty much change 99% of your character and their gear before you play at level 2. AL allows you to change your character anytime between levels 1-4, but you're stuck with your starting gear.

All adventures have a level range. PFS scenarios breakdown into 1-2, 1-5, 3-7, 5-9 and 7-11. AL Expeditions range from 1-4 and 5-10 currently. You can only play a character that is within the range offered by the adventure. Look at the convention schedule or their Warhorn page if they have one, and try to sign up for games that allow a level 1.

• Like 1

I usually ran across Two types of players: min-maxers who take the game very seriously, spend a lot of time crafting their characters toward combat, and can leverage the rules to their advantage in most situations. If you do something they think is sub-optimal or for the sake of role-playing, they'll let you hear about it.

The second group was role players who just wanted to be a part of the experience, and usually picked more esoteric classes, races, or gear.

Both groups can be fun or challenging to be grouped with.

I've played a bunch of Pathfinder Society over the last year or so (about 3 scenarios a month), so here is some advice for it.

Death is permanent unless you can afford raise dead. So my advice is to save us the prestige points (PP) you get from scenarios to have enough for a raise dead spell. (You will probably want to get a wand of cure light with your first two PP, though.) If you don't get too attached to your characters and don't mind them dying too much, there are some fun things you can do with PP.

A level 1-5 scenario divides into a level 1-2 challenge and a level 4-5 challenge based on the levels of the players. It isn't a lot of fun to play a level 4-5 challenge with a level 1/2 melee character (playing up), but ranged and casters can still be fun despite the high risk of dying (you get more gold though!) Playing a level 1-2 challenge with a 4-5 level character (playing down) can be pretty easy, though you can still die especially as caster. You get less gold, so I usually try to match my level with the difficulty. Level 3's get the right amount of gold for their level playing up or down.

Remember to use anything you find in the scenerio. You don't get to keep the items you find, so it is great chance to have fun with them.

Swarms are still a popular choice to toss in low level adventures, so prepare for those. (Alchemist's Fire, Burning Hands (or other AoE))

Most scenarios feature 3-4 battles. The pacing often doesn't leave time for rest. When it does, you need to tell the GM (and party) that you think it would be a great time to rest so you can regain spells (and other daily use abilities). Because you often base 3-4 battles in a row, casters won't have enough spells for all the battles at low levels. If you are playing a caster, make sure to give them something to do in battle. Using a crossbow is better than standing there. Wands can be useful. A wand of magic missile is nice for sorc/wiz. Some domains, schools, etc can give you fun things to do at level 1.

Melee people should have to ways to deal with damage resistance. Season 5 (The Year of the Demon) has lots of demons. Season 6 (Year of the Sky Key) has constructs with hardness, but often they are weak to electric. Undead are pretty common.

Edited by FireElemental
  • Like 1

Hmm, 'nother question.  So people normally bring minis to Orginized Play games?

If so then I best get painting.  Or create some characters that match stuff I already have painted.

ETA: Also, thanks to all who have replied.  I'll be playing this weekend.  You've all been a big help.

As far as minis it's like any other game. Got a character bring a mini for it. At Rcon I use the pathfinder prepaints for the basic pregens when running pfs games.

• Like 1

I will tel you if you bring a painted mini bring a Bones, many DMs are use to preprinted plastic and tend to be very abusive with models.

Try to build a character who is a team player so if you can buff the party or heal you will be golden. Creating a small placard of your character with name level, and a small portrait is not mandatory but adds to the game.

• Like 3

The one time I played PFS it was very combat/encounter driven with little to no chances for role playing or deviances from the written adventure.  For example, we were in a town and were supposed to get some clues from a merchant. A couple players tried to be subtle and just look around, or ask questions, and when we didn't outright attack the merchant the GM dropped a bunch of thugs on us and forced the combat.  Then it was like *bam* we're outside town on a road and he's asking us to roll initiative... with no story or RP in between. 

Maybe it was just the GM's style of play, but we felt pretty railroaded.  Maybe he was rushing us because of the timed event slot. Personally I prefer a more casual game with more open ended options and chances for side-line adventures. 

There was also a jerk at the table who screwed about half the players out of rewards at the end of the game. In character, of course. 

YMMV. 

There are good and bad GMs as well as good and bad players. Misbehavior can be reported to the local venture captain or Paizo for PFS games. I've been lucky and so far and have mostly had decent or good GMs and my bad GMs have just been boring.

There are a lot of Pathfinder Society scenarios that are light on the RP aspect. There are also skill heavy scenarios were social skills, tracking, etc. are really key to not bumbling through. It is not unusual to be able to bypass a combat or two with social skills and good RP. I've also played several scenarios where most of the scenario was spent RPing (and skill checks) with only a couple combats. If you want a certain type of scenarios, you will want to look them up on Paizo's site. They are usually spoil-light reviews to help you decide it you want to play that specific scenario.

As for a mini, it doesn't have to actually match your character, you just need to be able to know which is yours. Using bones or prepaints is a good idea if you are worried about potential mistreatment of your minis. While most of GMs I've had treat the minis with the respect they deserve, I've had a few that will sweep them off the map into a pile.

Many of the adventures for organized play are written to a formula with 2 small combats and one boss combat, or one small combat+one RP skill challenge+boss combat. This usually fits into the standard 3-4 hour time slot.

This is why most scenarios come across railroaded. The rewards depend on what you complete, so DMs can feel some pressure to move things along, especially at busy cons, so the players can get applicable rewards for their characters.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rat13
      After some interesting plumbing adventures the family and I are out of the house for the next couple weeks while repairs are made. Knowing that I'd need something to do in the evenings I had to make a tough call. I could gather up my painting supplies or I could grab one box, a knife, glue, and clippers. I obviously chose the easier route. So during our little forced vacation I'll be assembling the Robotech RPG Tactics starter box and giving you my thoughts on it. Not that I think anyone particularly wants to hear my thoughts on it, but if I'm going to build all this I'm going to talk about it.

Before we jump into it I do want to mention that if you've ever heard anyone talk about this set I'm probably going to say a lot of the same things. I do however think I bring at least one new idea that somewhat redeems this box or at least changes the way you think about it.

Right off the bat I've got to say it does have a nice box. It's fairly solid and the art not only on the outside but on the inside is a nice little addition. 

When I first bought the box it was my intention to build the three configurations of a Veritech and stop. I already have too many projects and this was to be the reward after completing everything else. You better take a look at them before I start ranting.

It was during the build of these first three models that I couldn't help but notice problems, you know the very ones we'd all already been warned about. The instructions are not always clear, all you get for each model is a deconstructed picture that can leave you guessing. Then to make it just a little more fun some components that are shown as being multiple parts just aren't. There is nothing like searching a sprue for a piece needed to complete a part before you realize its already attached.

Then of course when it comes to "fiddly" bits these may be the fiddliest I've ever seen. There are a ton of parts that are tiny to the point of the simple act of removing them from the sprue breaks them. Remember this because we'll definitely be coming back to it.

Even the larger pieces have their problems though. Most of the bigger pieces are multi-piece parts for no real reason. Maybe they're there to lull you into a sense of false comfort right before you start in on the "fiddly" bits.

Now we come to the sprues themselves. They're not exactly horrible minus the times when you break a "fiddly" bit trying to remove it but they're not great. 

After only assembling three I really wondered how they'd stand up to use on the tabletop. Even for display pieces they feel fragile. The detail is there but the construction and contact points are just bad, again we'll get back to that. 

Confidence was not high after the first three figures. Then came about our impromptu vacation so I pressed on with the assembly and next up were the other Macross defenders, you know the cannon fodder, the Defenders and the Tomahawks.

This is where I hit my stride. Overall I assembled them quickly, with many of the same complaints, but by then I'd become familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the set. It's also where I had the revelation that completely changed my attitude.

You see these aren't miniatures and they really aren't game pieces, they're models. Models complete with all of the "fiddly" bits and needless multi-piece assembly you could expect. Once I started to think of them as models it bacame easier to accept the flaws and oversights. I couldn't exactly forgive or forget them, but at least they made a kind of sense. They're made like a Gundam model where the real accomplishment isn't in building it, it's in the fact that during the assembly you never threw it against the wall.

Armed with my new outlook I started work on the special Zentraedi models. Even with the new outlook there were issues. Here are some "fiddly" bits I broke while removing them from the sprue. See just how tiny some of them are?

Oh and remember those contact points I mentioned?

That's how a leg attaches, a leg, you know the thing that is meant to support the whole model.

Eventually I did complete the three special models however. 

After reading all that it would be easy to think I hate this box. It'd be even easier to think I wouldn't recommend it. Even with all the issues however that isn't the case. I think under the right circumstances, I can recommend this to everyone they just have to meet certain criteria.

Firstly you need to be a fan, because you'll need that love of the source material to keep going. The box needs to be on discount (bought mine for about $50 and that seems fair). It also helps to know exactly what you're getting into; before buying I'd already heard plenty of horror stories (still ended up buying it and I'm glad I did). Finally you need to think differently about the figures themselves, honestly once I started thinking of them as models like Gundams or even highly detailed planes everything bacame easier. If you check all of those boxes this is probably right up your alley. Don't ask me about gameplay however I already know I'll never find someone to play with, I just wanted the models. 
    • By UnreliableNarrator
      Hey! So I've been putting paint to minis for about two months, and I've yet to finish one up satisfactorily. So I thought I'd come here and ask y'all for some C&C for a struggling newbie.

The Tiefling is an NPC baddie for my DM, and I'm struggling trying to get more detail on his face. I tried adding highlights to his t-zone to make it less flat but getting detail in such a tiny space is driving me mad. I'm also not happy with the highlights on the tail. How do ppl do faces on minis without much detail to the sculpt? 

I've been struggling with transitions and blending/glazing. On the mouseling the transitions are supposed to be glazing but it just comes out more of a wash with a heavy load of pigment where it settles. I've tried wet blending, but I don't know how to get that on smaller or more detailed/textured areas.

I'm a lot happier with my skelly boys, and I'm going to try NMM on the swords. I'm wondering how to reduce the shininess on the varnish (the middle one). I'm using Vallejo matte varnish, but there are still reflections under light.

Thanks so much if you've read down all the way here! I know I've got a long way to go, so I'm looking forward to any and all C&C.

Edit: Cut this down to just the ones I'm not happy with, and need advice on.
    • By PandorasGhost
      Hey everybody!

Tried to get the word out by word of mouth, and decided on here might be a good way to go about it as well. The tables for gaming had to be altered from what was on the printed schedule due to some logistics issues. (Logic?! At a con?! Say it isn't so.)

Games on GrowTix should reflect accurate locations (and hopefully always reflected accurate times). Also, there are printed schedules available on the table just beside registration. ALSO, ALSO, I attached the Xcel spreadsheet of the schedule if anyone wants to peruse.

Joseph Wolf's Dreadmere games are still at Table 1 - under the big Dredmere banner. Tables 2 ,3, and 10 are various Roleplaying games, as per the schedule Table 4 is an all-day, every-day Freeblades demo - drop by and check it out! Tables 6 thru 9 are for Gamers looking for Pathfinder/Starfinder D&D Adventure League is now tables 11 thru 23, but Gamers taking part in DDAL are encouraged to head to Table 18, where Colby (and crew) will be marshaling GMs, getting players into games, and generally just controlling the madness of League events. Tables 24 thru 28 are going to host Frog God Games (in the Arabian rooms) ReaperCon 2019 Gaming.xlsx
    • By stormbreach
      Warnings first, this image is linked for nudity.  I would like to ask for advice on this mini.  I might be finished or I might have to go back and paint her all over again.  I wanted her to look like bare wood, like raw lumber because she is part of the tree.  I wanted it to look kind of like she was the inside wood of the tree coming out through the bark but I think she ended up looking a little like regular skin.  So my question is does she look okay or should I paint her green instead to keep her from looking human?  Thanks for any advice you can offer.  Please also be advised, it isn't the best image but it gets the idea across.

https://imgur.com/a/5CNeff6
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      As some of you know, @buglips*the*goblin and I paint some German Infantry of WWII for Warlord Games tabletop game Bolt Action - or another similar set of rules. You can find our WIP thread ->here<-

But though the key to success is hard work, all good projects some when end somewhere. To celebrate this, we decided to set up a Show Off thread. So ... enjoy what we come up with until all of our Germans are painted ... (which will be in ten years or so)

First off - the first 5 men of my winter unit.

Enjoy

More to come!

@buglips*the*goblin You're next.

• Who's Online   25 Members, 1 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)