Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Steampunk armored cars from Architects of War

Well, sort of.  My husband went a-prowling for steampunk-themed minis for my birthday earlier this month and found these 15mm armored cars for the game "All Quiet on the Martian Front."

post-8022-0-49629200-1435529962.jpg

They are said to be based on Rolls Royce Spectres, circa. 1910-ish.  While assembling them, the theme from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" kept running through my head.

Oh yes, assembly.  There were no instructions.  Grr.  What I had were three baggies, each containing the following pieces (originally the tyres were on sprues):

post-8022-0-56294500-1435530024.jpg

After a while I worked out that the chassis went over the running boards, but its wheel axles slipped under the mud guards and the rear box.  This had to be done before the wheels were attached, but fortunately I had only tried to assemble one car to start and the epoxy was still soft.

Here are partly assembled cars:

post-8022-0-98672600-1435530217.jpg

After a dry fit, I decided that priming the inside of the car bodies black would save a lot of heartache later.

post-8022-0-37139900-1435530257.jpg

I did not glue down the turrets because I like being able to pose them.  Hopefully this will not be too much of a nuisance to paint.  And here they are:

post-8022-0-80211300-1435530306.jpg

I find the green paint job on the box cover utilitarian but uninspired.  I think I may go down weirder paths.

• Like 11

Instructions:

Flames of War minis are instruction-less also. Very similar looking packaging but I guess it is a totally different company. You are just supposed to know / figure out / how stuff goes together.

Interesting game concept. Is it set on Earth or Mars?

Some kind of magnetizing might be a thought with the turrets, that is what I would do if there is any room under there at all.

• Like 1

The game seems to be a sequel to H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds.  Thirteen years later the Martians come back, this time striking in the heart of the US.  The British Expeditionary Force lends support.  Etc. etc.

Oh, and the turrets are basically hollow hemispheres with an axis which inserts in a medium-sized hole in the car body (You can sort of see in the second photo of car pieces).  So lots of room, yes.

Edited by Pingo

Ahhh..

The game seems to be a sequel to H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds.  Thirteen years later the Martians come back, this time striking in the heart of the US.  The British Expeditionary Force lends support.  Etc. etc.

..this time presumably ET brought anti-biotics, medical support sections, Martian NyQuil...

• Like 2

I forgot to mention, there was one part I didn't use.  There are little blast shields at the fronts of the cars.  One is in the very first picture of the parts on the extreme left, a little rectangle that looks a little like an open book.

I preferred letting the RR grillwork show.

Heisler, Picasa won't let me see that on my desktop web browser so I'll have to check on another machine later.

Heisler, Picasa won't let me see that on my desktop web browser so I'll have to check on another machine later.

Yup.

It kicked me to a sign in page instead of showing a related image.

Sorry about the first post, I was trying to work from my phone, which doesn't seem to have full posting functionality. RRAC.VehicleFinished.2.jpg

RRAC.VehicleFinished.3.jpg

This is the historical version of the Rolls Royce Armored car known as the Ghost. Pingo's are actually a later variant with the rounded turret. But it is an example of a different approach you could take.

• Like 1

Sorry about the first post, I was trying to work from my phone, which doesn't seem to have full posting functionality. RRAC.VehicleFinished.2.jpg

RRAC.VehicleFinished.3.jpg

This is the historical version of the Rolls Royce Armored car known as the Ghost. Pingo's are actually a later variant with the rounded turret. But it is an example of a different approach you could take.

Wow!

How big is that model?

Its not as big as it looks. Its a 28mm version that I will be using with my WWI USMC troops. Its 4-5" long, I think those wheels are about the size of a quarter. That model is by Trenchworx.