As many of us who have bought a copy of heroquest know the weapons on the orcs and goblins are notorious for breaking over the years.  I thought repairing them by adding another weapon to their hands would give me some practice before moving on to other minis.  My question is what is the best way to get an edge on a weapon made from green stuff?  I know you cant really sand it down

• Like 1

One of the methods for making, for instance swords and other bladed weapons, is to use thin plasticard.  Cut it into a gross shape, say a rectangle for a sword, then you can sand and cut away at it for detail.  Greenstuff is probably fine still for hilts and baskets, ornamentation.  Brass wire can be bought at hobby and hardware stores in the proper gauge to make hafts and handles.  I've heard that brownstuff is sandable once cured as well--make a big flat piece, let it cure, and treat it as plasticard.

• Like 1

Greenstuff can be carved, if you do it carefully.

As mentioned in the thread linked above, brownstuff and several of the other putties can be sanded or carved fairly well.

You can make a small block of putty in the size, thickness and general shape of the weapon you want around an armature wire and then form the finer details by sanding it down with a file.

Alternately, you can build an armature and slowly build up putty into the general shape of the blade (just like bulking out a figure's armature) before adding the finer details as a last step.

I generally use brownstuff (or a mix of brown and green) for weapons, as it takes detail well while still having some flexibilty.

I really like Milliput for the blades on weapons. It takes and holds sharp edges very well, and it sands wonderfully. If you take a piece of brass or copper wire and flatten it a bit, and then form it into an armature then you can sandwich Milliput on it. Once it cures you can cut, shave, and sand it however you want. Alternately you can use thin aluminum to build blades, etc, and add detail with putty. If you decide to go that route I recommend a rotary tool for the bulk of the shaping, and then a file for the final touches. Cheers.

Also you can use styrene for weapons. I use a similar method with the aluminum. Cut a piece roughly to shape, and then finish it down, add details with putty. cheers.

• Like 1

For fantasy weapons, yeah, use a hard, sandable putty. Apoxie Sculpt and ProCreate both work for me, Milliput and Brown Stuff I have no experience with.

For truescale weapons, you can just flatten a piece of wire with a hammer and just sand an edge on it.

• Like 1

Bench grinder, used very carefully, does a good job of putting edges on flattened brass wire. I've also put a point on wire with a grinder, then flattened it with a hammer to get a leaf-shaped spear or arrow point.

Note: When using either a hammer or a bench grinder with wire, please use appropriate PPE*, particularly including safety glasses. Flying, sharpened wire can be very dangerous.

* Personal Protective Equipment (standard terminology in industrial safety documentation)

• Like 1