Demon Colors

Xymor

Ok so I am ging to paint a demon. the big red scarry kind and I was woundering what colors to use. At first I was thinking I would use Brick Red and work my way up to the lighter reds, But I have never painted one so I thought that might look bad. So if any of you have something that works relly well could you please share it. Or a good Pic of a demon would work then I could extrapolate what colors to use.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! he's nice! Love the eyes. I also like th fact he's not a 'red' red, the purplish tint gives him some character.

I am working on three winged Ral Partha female demons. Plan on doing one in red, one in white and still haven't decided on the third. I wanted each to look a bit different as all three being red, seemed kind of "blah"

Lady Tam

Demons can be any range of colors. I saw one painted bright Chartruese green once. It is a matter of personal preference really.

I wasn't aware there is a color guide to demons! ::D: Is that what Buffy and Angel use when they don't know what they're up against?

You are right though, no one can really say what color you can or cannot paint a demon, or a troll or a dragon or an elf...

Anthony's *very* stellar demon aside (wow, would you look at that thing!)... I've always viewed demons as having a chaotic mish-mash of color within their skin. Born of chaos, they embody it.

As such, I'd say that this is the perfect time for you to experiment with a lot of wet-blending and tinting... Not that you shouldn't have a plan, mind you... But I'd say "go wild".... Paint this thing in broad, bold strokes of color... move from purple to green along the legs.... scarlet to black across the back... etc, etc. Have fun. Don't limit yourself. Especially if "all brick red" doesn't seem to cut it for you. Just give it some thought. Play around on a palette with some blends. Whatever.

As I say... if you're questioning the "straight red" thing... Maybe you're just pining for permission to go nuts. Give it to yourself. ::):

Demons can be any range of colors.  I saw one painted bright Chartruese green once.  It is a matter of personal preference really.

I wasn't aware there is a color guide to demons! ::D: Is that what Buffy and Angel use when they don't know what they're up against?

You are right though, no one can really say what color you can or cannot paint a demon, or a troll or a dragon or an elf...

*Baps HC with her staff of WWCAMP*

Cute. ::D::lol:

She's not as smooth as I'd like, but I was playing around with color schemes. So....

I wanted to try a different type of red for my demoness, so I experimented with Vallejo's purple + medium flesh and ended up with a more maroon red color with a hint of purple in there.

And I thought the Vallejo chocolate brown on her wings complemented her skin nicely too.

Spyglass succubus

Just want to remind you that you don't have to always use "red" to get a red look.

Wow I like that one alot. Good job Anthony. I have started on this one as well and will keep that tip on what you did with the eyes in mind. Did you assemble the wings prior to painting the body or after? I could see no way to do the arms with the wings on so I am delving into uncomfortable waters here in that I am going to have to attach them after I have painted the rest of the mini and hope I don't ruin my existing painting.

The only demon I've done recently is the basecoat on my Netherlord, & I used a automotive colors from House of Kolors on him, it was called Blublood (a really dark shade of red), whenever I resume working on him I'm gonna try & add purple to him & black & brass. Sorta of a Khorne color schemes, as I've always love those colors on demons/devils.

But yah you can paint a demon/devil any color you like, just don't paint him pink thou :blink::blink: AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH RUNNN AWAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy M