Perry Miniatures Medieval Cottage WIP

This was one of several terrain pieces my husband gave me for my birthday earlier this month, a "Medieval Cottage 1300 - 1700" from Perry Miniatures.

post-8022-0-08633800-1435539685.jpg

This is the first hard plastic miniature I've ever put together, and I'd like to thank the other forumites who gave me advice on glues and things.

It came on several sprues, three I think it was, and went together pretty easily.  The doors open and shut.  There is also a small shed for animals or wood or something, and a lot of woven wicker fencing.

I didn't take any pictures of the assembly or priming, but at the moment it has been thinly primed with transparent white and washed for shadows with Burnt Umber.  A lot of the original grey plastic still shows through.

post-8022-0-34208500-1435539951.jpg

post-8022-0-38951500-1435539964.jpg

post-8022-0-61473300-1435539970.jpg

I am probably going to paint this very strangely.

• Like 15

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back, with some nice aged wood color glazed on, mixed from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue.  I used a bluer mix in the shadows.  I also painted the interior, but I didn't take pictures of it (it's not modeled as an interior; I'm just kind of a completionist).

post-8022-0-49417900-1443824191.jpg

post-8022-0-85427600-1443824243.jpg

post-8022-0-25110100-1443824254.jpg

Then I mixed a gold from Yellow Oxide and Titanium White for the basic roof thatching.  I plan to paint the cottage a little more eccentrically but I wanted a solid foundation of color first.

post-8022-0-90024700-1443824463.jpg

post-8022-0-29478700-1443824469.jpg

post-8022-0-47716100-1443824486.jpg

post-8022-0-30070900-1443824491.jpg

• Like 13

Looks great so far!

Have you considered thatching the roof with railroad field grass?

It's an interesting thought. The roof is pretty nicely modeled, though. And by training and background I am generally more inclined to try to make an effect with paint than with potentially fragile glued on bits. (This, of course, could easily be famous last words.)

I am planning on having some things growing on the roof and maybe some sort of painted decorations on the house.

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Great Khan Artist
      First of all, I have lots of people to thank for inspiration. This particular piece, the dilapidated fort, was directly taken from a project at Onyx Workshop. My other major inspiration is Le Golem Qui Reve, a French fellow who has been doing Sandgrave for a number of years. Check out his amazing blog. (If you're going to cite sources, it's not plagerism, right?) 

This one was done using Hirst Arts Egyptian moulds: Floor tiles, sandblasted pyramid and regular walls. My go-to colours are P3 Rucksack Tan for the base, washed with GW Seraphim sepia. The bricks are done using a variety of tan and off whites available at the dollar store. The whole thing is drybrushed a cream, then flocked. I use regular plaster of paris and wood glue, with Aileen's tacky craft glue for the flocking. I use so much of the sand base I had it custom mixed at the hardware as a gallon. House paint stinks for minis, but it covers sand really well. The sand is locally collected from my yard.

To create the chipped look, I used a dull hobby knife blade and hacked at the wall. I'm very happy with how this looks and it has become my new way of making convincing ruins. The ladder is a leftover piece from an MDF kitbash. Each of the straight blocks is 1" long. The base is a piece from Charlie Foxtrot out of the UK. He's an amazing guy to purchase from. I believe it is from bases set one. I will admit I screwed up when I made it, it should be 5 inches long to accomodate a full unit for Wargods, which brings us to...

The minis are Crocodile Games. They have shields, and as part of my spring cleaning of the paint desk, they will soon receive them. The metal (or bones) mummy warriors complement this range very nicely, being comparable in size and asthetic. If you aren't fussy about duplicates, choose the bones version. The metal version seems to me like it could use a new mould --some of the detail seems shallow. 

• By Auberon
      High Kingdom Village

An entire town, if it fits the era you play in.

• By Auberon
      The Town of Grexdale - A Medieval Tabletop Town

A town.  I passed on their last one and will probably pass here as well.  IIRC the prior campaigns ended up in the late pledge section of MMF.

• By jadeite
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3dlayeredscenery/ancrabourg-a-modular-medieval-harbor

• By Inarah
      "The deep underground ocean known as the Shadow Sea has held mysteries for thousands of years, remains of ruined civilizations that built advanced cities and technological wonders in the abyssal depths. As the world of Theira falls into chaos, small bands of adventurers and mercenaries dive into the waters of the underground sea to hunt for the legendary ruins of Darkstar Rift for treasures and artifacts that can help their forces survive the cataclysm of war."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/unchartedrealms/419486578?ref=lq05fa&token=16233964&fbclid=IwAR03tj5q6Y4pjx81sWjCuubFjOzAGQK4TQ9f_XkZvd4Q4yeWuq7jZEAwXTE