ladystorm

Bones Kickstarter #3 Discussion

I think that Reaper's larger stretch goals at the beginning followed by short stretch goals in the middle really kept the middle doldrums down. Combined with adding smaller add ons and core pieces after the big finale kept funds rolling in.

I understand why Reaper went to a shorter campaign but their experiments with stretch goals and finale were very successful and shows that they could go to 21 days with similar results, should they desire to.

• Like 6

I am going to allow the kids to review the pledge manager and, sans Ma'al, purchase one of the smaller dragons. But that would mean skipping out on something else they might want.

• Like 4

That's a good idea. My kid's not yet three, so he won't choose based on pointless things like "cost" and "utility", and since I like all the minis I can just let him have at 'er and tell my wife it was his fault.

• Like 7

I think I would go with option 1 for the most part.  The shorter campaign didn't seem to lag like the longer ones and both the dollar amount and model count feel just as meaty as the first two kickstarters.  Honestly my only real complaint is that I think having it right before Gen Con may have depressed the possible total pledge amount (and thus model count) some small percentage but I have no real feel for how significant an amount that might be.

• Like 2

I haven't participated in a bones kickstarter before, but I think this was very successful. It ran more like an event than like a kickstarter campaign, with daily reveals and spoilers that were just plain fun. It sounds like previous KSes had a lot of lag time in the middle, and the sluggish backer gain fits with that. That would be more consistent with kickstarters by other companies, which are fine but not "fun", per se. This felt like an online con. Even if I don't need the minis I'll probably back any future kickstarters Reaper runs, at least for a bit, just because it's a darned good time.

As for length, if it ran longer we might - MIGHT - have seen a bit more funding, but I don't think it would have been enough to make a substantial difference. It's impossible to say but it's clear the success of this one was on the same rough level as bones 1 and 2. 0.4 million in a 2.7-3.2 million dollar game is significant, but not enormous.

Finally, I think reaper was aiming to keep this one a little smaller. They could have driven it higher earlier by starting the final explosive reveals earlier, such as Friday evening, but they chose to save them for the very end knowing that it would lead to probably a few hundred people not seeing them in time to back the project. That is a conscious decision as was shortening the project. It's likely they're trying to find a balance between profit of scale and manageable size.

• Like 3

Heh, I never did get the PDFs... the times when I tried to reach the Pledge Manager were the times it was having problems.

The Auld Grump

I did manage to download them - if you still have trouble, let me know and I can email them to you.

--

And everyone letting their kids paint their minis - that's awesome and really sweet! It's nice seeing that kids can grow up in an art positive home.

• Like 1

I don't think the shorter campaign led to the lower dollar total. I think that was due to people knowing they would be able to add to their total later on. I know I plan to double, or triple, my pledge money during the campaign over the next few months. It's an approach that isn't for the greater good, but is better for my own financial well-being. I think there was only a single day during the campaign when it didn't hit a stretch goal, so the pacing was nice with a fantastic finish. If the campaign had gone on longer, there probably would have been more no-action days.

• Like 3

That certainly affected my pledge too; I really want to unlock more things but I am at a time when I just can't pour that much money in at once.

I would imagine, knowing reaper, that depending on changes to the profit margin with increased pledges over time they may make some financial assumptions in the next KS that could lead to faster unlocks.

• Like 1

I think it was a good thing.  Like they said this was more of filling the blanks than doing the whole range.  Most of the niche things were filled.  I think that those that were not filled were due to licensing versus Reaper not doing them.  They did a lot of terrain that did not conflict with Dwarven Forge/Hirst Art.  I came into this thinking I would not do much, but am in for $265 and will probably add more in the coming months.  I think that any other KS they do should be and will be shorter still.

• Like 1

I notcied people got really mad over 'core set' stuff.  People who thought it was a good deal until they got something they didn't like and then thought it was a horrible deal lol - I think it was frustration at not enough core reveals (even though core had *plenty* of stuff).

I think they'd have done better with a small (like bones 1) core set of 20-30 models and then having a couple of core set adds every stretch goal.  That would appeal to people's tunnel vision I think.  I honestly think (although this is just me - they have the #'s and prolly know better than I do) they would be better off only allowing 'post-ks' price purchases to those who have over 100 bucks invested prior to the end of KS - it seemed like quite a few people plunked down a buck to buy cheap later.  This isn't to say everyone needs a 'core' but it would be nice to make sure the average KS person had to put meat in the game to get to play after it was all done.

• Like 2

Option 1 - I liked the shorter KS.  The stretch goals seemed a lot closer together both in time and dollar amount.

• Like 1

Not sure what to think. While I am happy with the amazing deals and everything, it is rather sad to have the void of not checking in for the next stretch goal. As this was my first kickstarter it was a rather interesting and exciting event. On the other side, I think I won by only overspending spending 2 - 1/4 (225%) times over  my no crap limit.

I suppose its time to recover / start saving for """""Bones 4 Scruffy escapes The Vet!!!!""""

• Like 6

Not sure what to think. While I am happy with the amazing deals and everything, it is rather sad to have the void of not checking in for the next stretch goal. As this was my first kickstarter it was a rather interesting and exciting event. On the other side, I think I won by only overspending spending 2 - 1/4 (225%) times over  my no crap limit.

I suppose its time to recover / start saving for """""Bones 4 Scruffy escapes The Vet!!!!""""

you mean Legendary Encounters this fall, right?

• Like 4

Oh my god, I can't wait for that. I don't plan to spend much, 1-200 unless they have new sculpts, but I'd love to get a bunch of common monsters done cheap....

• Like 5