Bones Kickstarter #3 Discussion

ladystorm

I'm not sure if this has been specifically addressed yet, but I have a core set pledge question.

Someone from Reaper (Brian maybe?) said earlier in the forum discussion that we're not obligated to get a core set if we pledge at the $100 level; the only reason they have that level is because people expect it.

But on the KS page, it says "This is what your $100 pledge will get you..." to introduce the core set.

Additional core sets are $60.

My question is this: If I am planning to get a core set, is the first one $100 and duplicate copies are $60? Or can I check the $60 option initially, and I'll have a $40 cushion that I've been overlooking up to this point?

I've just been shuffling my want-list a bit, and noticed that was a bit confusing. Trying to narrow down exactly how much cushion I left myself, now.

The core set - all the minis on the green list - is $100.

The original 30 minis, not including the bonus 24, is the core of the core (if you will), and getting additionals of just those 30 costsn $60.

• Like 3

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 30 days are better, give people more time to find the Kickstarter or to decide if they want to pledge.

I would have liked to see more different riders, different races on different creatures.

I would have liked to see (not much) less dragons and more other big creatures.

Yeah, more mouselings are always good.

I couln't spent money on this KS, eventually later in the PM, but I prefer the end of any Kickstarter more at the beginning of a month!

Only missing metal mini change to bones in the graveyard espansion is the 14150: Grave Horror

I'm happy that I do not need the Goremaw, because I made my own giant worm. :-)

Ma'al Drakar, Titans of the Tide, all the eastern myth creatures, Grave Golem, Brain in the Jar, the Therianthopes (Lycanthropes are only changing into wolves/wolfmen, Therianthrope is the main term), ..., very easy to increase this list!

Overall I think the Bones III KS got a good amount of money.

• Like 1

I think the length was okay, but that the actual end day could be closer to the 1st or 15th.  Many people get paid bi-weekly, and having the 7 day window to fix lack of funds closer to a payday may be of some benefit.  This one came down on a Saturday precisely 7 days away from the 1st, also on a Saturday.  Depending on how pay gets processed, some people may not see funds they can use until the following Monday.  This means they either have to pledge less up front to be sure it funds, or they risk not being able to make up the difference and may miss out (not sure what happens after the 7 days, I assume the pledge is just cancelled as nonfunding). 

• Like 6

Shorter is better I think.

Allowing for post champaign funds it exceptionally smart. The molds for the figures is already taken care of by campaign end. So additional funds will help make up for deficiencies and prep for other molds that are yet unrevealed.

• Like 1

I think the shorter was better for backers and for Reaper generally. Less stress on both sides for the down days and irritation. The KS did manage to gain quit a bit of funds and as usual, we constantly had reaper people around to ask questions and talk to about our silliness. 

• Like 3

I think others have been correct when they said that there was more of a sense of urgency with this Kickstarter, thee wasn't a lull very often. I don't think it was have risen as fast otherwise, some people tend to rest on their laurels and take a wait and see approach. With this one there was more of a push to get to the next goal. I enjoyed the fact that there were a lot more large figures that showed up in this one, it gave a sense of real value to it. NOt to mention that we get the opportunity to gush over the excellent artwork they've provided. Some may have stated that it may have been better to add to pledges later instead of during the kickstarter and that's totally fine for those that need to do financial juggling, but remember that without the pledges, we wouldn't have made it to such a great end.

• Like 1

It's a hard call.

On the one hand - we've got evidence from the 3 Kickstarters so far in the Bones range.  They seem to indicate pretty convincingly that the total take is higher the longer the Kickstarter runs.  Also, that the longer Kickstarters get more total backers.

Against that, the data also indicates that you're getting more per day with the shorter ones. 

On the whole?  Speaking personally, being completely useless at work for a shorter period of time is good.  I went into this knowing what my budget was, and knowing when I was going to raise my initial pledge if the value was there.  So, for me, a longer or shorter Kickstarter is pretty much a moot point.  I'm going to have a budget, and I'm going to try to fit within it.  I'll let Reaper take care of providing the figures I'm going to have to chose between.

I think the Expansions worked well, better this time around.  It was brilliant having the Expansions and the Core set share unlocks - it's a minor thing, pretty much cosmetic, but it made it seem like we were making good progress.  The strong themes of the expansions worked superbly I thought.

I guess the question really is:  how did Reaper see this work out?  Are they happy with what they offered, and the decisions they made?  Would they change anything in future?  They're really the only people with the data & the right to make those calls : )

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 6

The Expansions and Core unlocking together was brilliant. Last time there was an awful lot of woofing from people who felt they were being robbed because they weren't interested in an Expansion and they believed it was taking stretch goals away from the Core.

There were some things in Expansions I would have preferred to see in the Core, and some things in Core I would have thought would be better add-on options... but overall, I have no complaints aboUT the way things went. The Savage totem animals are about the only add-on I'm unlikely to get - and several of those will be duplicated (Undying Lords, in looking at yoooooou...)

• Like 3

Honestly, my only complaint about this KS being a short one is that it gives me less time to get my money together as I wasn't able to set money aside for this KS due to other things going on in my life.  Had this been in August or later, I could have easily spent twice as much. I went in on the Bones 1 KS, which had a lot of energy throughout IMHO, but I thought this one had a lot through most of it, which surprised me a bit.

I've thought about possible reasons for the shortened KS and besides the lesser amount of models coming out, I think it could be that it just eats up tons of man-hours from what your staff's regular duties are (assuming Reaper doesn't have a KS position on staff).  Of course, it could just be as simple as Reaper thinking a third KS that didn't do as well as the previous two could be bad and so made it intentionally short as a safety measure.  After all,. sometimes your fans telling you they want another KS doesn't mean that there are enough of them out there to actually fund it.  

Just my two bits.

• Like 1

I agree that the simultaneous reveal of stretch goals for core + expansions was a great idea. That way people who would get only the core set was as interested to unlock those goals as those getting the expansions.

As for the shorter duration for the campaign, I think that it did somehow avoid the previous mid-campaign slumps, but wonder whether it had an impact on the overall amount raised. On that particular point, I also wonder if there was a hit by the upcoming Legendary Encounters Kickstarter.

Personally, having participated in the previous two Bones KS and thus amassed a sizable amount of yet-to-be-painted plastic, I pledged less because I was more interested in choosing specific models rather than getting a ton of minis that may or may not get painted. Maybe there were other people in the same situation and that affected the final amount, as well...

• Like 1