Bones Kickstarter #3 Discussion

ladystorm

My 16th anniversary is coming up later this month. Surely the wife would approve of me dropping a ton of money on this, and cooking her a nice TV dinner at home, right?

Best not to ask, I suppose. I'm sure she would side with you bunch of enablers. 

Somewhere in there is a great bone/bones joke just waiting to happen.  :ph34r:

Just tell her that the traditional material for 16th anniversary gifts is clear translucent bones.

17th: Red translucent bones

18th: Blue translucent bones

• Like 6

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree that some people who backed all the KS might not be in on this one due to saturation.  Sucks for people like me who weren't into the hobby for KS 1 and 2, and sucks if we don't manage to unlock all the goodies of course. 

Question is what would happen is a lot of the new models don't get unlocked, do they still get produced?

If the sculpting has been done, Reaper would almost certainly find a way to work them into the release schedule... eventually. It might mean translating them into resin or metal, rather than Bones, or it might mean waiting until they could organically fund Bones mold creation (or for Bones IV)

Reaper is very careful about financials (which is good), so I do not think you will see a unfunded sculpts showing up as purchasable items during this campaign. If they are super-keen on getting a model out, I expect that they would shuffle stretch goals to get it funded before other, lower priority, items.

• Like 10

I also agree that some people who backed all the KS might not be in on this one due to saturation.  Sucks for people like me who weren't into the hobby for KS 1 and 2, and sucks if we don't manage to unlock all the goodies of course. 

Question is what would happen is a lot of the new models don't get unlocked, do they still get produced?

If the sculpting has been done, Reaper would almost certainly find a way to work them into the release schedule... eventually. It might mean translating them into resin or metal, rather than Bones, or it might mean waiting until they could organically fund Bones mold creation (or for Bones IV)

Reaper is very careful about financials (which is good), so I do not think you will see a unfunded sculpts showing up as purchasable items during this campaign. If they are super-keen on getting a model out, I expect that they would shuffle stretch goals to get it funded before other, lower priority, items.

Klarg pays attention. This answer is about as good as I would have given.

The stretch goals are disappointingly far apart. This early in the campaign we should be blasting through stretch goals. I, for one, find the slooooowness of stretch unlocks right now to be really discouraging. Maybe Reaper overestimated how fast pledges would be coming in? The fact that it still hasn't broken a million suggests that others are feeling the same way.  I think what kept people pledging on say Black Plague (first CMON KS I've backed) was the frequent stretch goals. It felt like real value.

And want to echo what folks are saying re: exchange rates, shipping, customs - it means I am pledging 150 dollars less this time because my dollar isn't going as far, and unlike last time, I actually know how bloody expensive customs charges are. Combined with the knowledge that given that I can get free shipping from Reaper AFTER the kickstarter and never pay customs on my smaller orders from reaper... well there isn't so much incentive to pledge as much this time. It's not really a deal when a quarter of your pledge goes to shipping.

I also feel like the attitude towards ROW is probably going to hold this KS back. If everyone paid the shipping cost I know I would feel a lot less cranky about the added cost - but it just seems really unfair that US buyers get a free ride. It leaves ROW feeling like they are paying *even more* for the figures to subsidize US orders.

• Like 1

not one penny of a ROW pledge subsidizes a US order. The US orders pay for it themselves. it's just bundled into the cost because it really is that cheap to ship within the US and it really is that expensive to ship outside the US. the average ROW order's potage cost $64 last time around, the average US order was $7.

As for getting more backers on board, I've got a couple of friends who pledged last time and one who has never pledged for a miniatures Kickstarter.  He has, however, a strong appetite for a large quantity of cheap miniatures for his kids to paint with him, plus he actually games with miniatures. 

I think it's possible that a lot of people are also on vacation or at work.  The campaign started right after a long weekend in the USA, and a ton of people are away/busy.  Hopefully it picks up steam on the weekend. 

• Like 8

As for getting more backers on board, I've got a couple of friends who pledged last time and one who has never pledged for a miniatures Kickstarter.  He has, however, a strong appetite for a large quantity of cheap miniatures for his kids to paint with him, plus he actually games with miniatures. 

I think it's possible that a lot of people are also on vacation or at work.  The campaign started right after a long weekend in the USA, and a ton of people are away/busy.  Hopefully it picks up steam on the weekend. 

That's a good thing to hope, but statistically this weekend is likely to be the slowest 2 days of the entire project....

For me, living in Canada close to the border, I just sent the package in the USA and go pick-it up and bringing across. I still have to pay customs and duty but no shipping. I have experience outrageous shipping cost in the past dealing with Ebay Orders and so forth.

• Like 7

The stretch goals are disappointingly far apart. This early in the campaign we should be blasting through stretch goals. I, for one, find the slooooowness of stretch unlocks right now to be really discouraging.

We're still averaging one every 2 hours.  What exactly do you expect?

I also feel like the attitude towards ROW is probably going to hold this KS back. If everyone paid the shipping cost I know I would feel a lot less cranky about the added cost - but it just seems really unfair that US buyers get a free ride. It leaves ROW feeling like they are paying *even more* for the figures to subsidize US orders.

When the truth is mostly likely the exact opposite of that.  The exact same complaint was leveled in the first KS and reaper explained that the US was actually subsidizing shipping for everyone else.  They've cut back on that, but it would not surprise me in any way if it was still true.  You may be correct in thinking that people feel that way, but as in all things, the truth is more important than feelings.

Edited by ApesAmongUs
  • Like 6

Pledge until it hurts. Daddy needs more plastic minions.

Also, I feel the pain on anyone shipping outside the US. I refuse to do it. Not only is it 'spensive, but it's a pain in the tuchas.

• Like 7

not one penny of a ROW pledge subsidizes a US order. The US orders pay for it themselves. it's just bundled into the cost because it really si that cheap to ship within the US and it really is that expensive to ship outside the US. the average ROW order's potage cost $64 last time around, the average US order was $7.

I remember having a long KS discussion with Bryan one evening at the last Reaper Con after the Bones 3 announcement.  They REALLY have tried to find realistic ways to make things easier for ROW.  But given that the real costs (as Bryan points out well here) and the complexity of the orders there just did not seem to be a solution that worked.  They aren't picking on or singling ROW out.  It's just how it is unfortunately.  And it seems when other ROW people have calculated it out, they are still getting a nice savings in the KS over retail even given the increased shipping costs and taxes.  I'm sure Reaper wants to put this KS into every single person's hands they can.  But reality is reality still.

• Like 10

The stretch goals are disappointingly far apart. This early in the campaign we should be blasting through stretch goals. I, for one, find the slooooowness of stretch unlocks right now to be really discouraging. Maybe Reaper overestimated how fast pledges would be coming in? The fact that it still hasn't broken a million suggests that others are feeling the same way.  I think what kept people pledging on say Black Plague (first CMON KS I've backed) was the frequent stretch goals. It felt like real value.

Reaper is conducting an experiment to try and keep momentum in the middle of the Kickstarter. It could succeed, it could fail. I think as long as we keep hitting a stretch goal a day, it will all work out in the end.

• Like 5

I have yet to see a Kickstarter campaign where multiple people didn't express disappointment, including Bones II.

I'm not too worried.

I do seem to be having trouble logging in to the pledge calculator.  And my email is super slow to pick up ... which is a problem on my end, of course.  I'm reasonably certain I'll be able to get in and adjust things ere long.

• Like 10