What colour paints and resources do I need to start painting?

Callum

I am just about to start miniature painting and am trying to find out a little more before I jump in.

I'm looking at buying reaper paints and have a budget of around $100 to start up. My first project, after some practise, will be the Imperial Assault miniatures. My questions are:

1. How many paints do I need to begin with? 

2. What colour paints should I begin with? I have looked at the Master Series HD Paint Set 1 and 2, would either of those be a good starting point and would I need to buy extra colours that are used a lot, such as black and white?

3. What brushes should I be using?

4. What primer should I be using?

Thank you in advance for the support.

Callum

• Like 1

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

Start with the Learn to Paint Bones kit and add a red, a gold, and a skin tone (or two).  That will get you started in terms of paints and a couple of basic brushes.

The Master Series HD Paint Sets aren't good starter sets unless you get both AND add white and black.

Each dropper bottle has about 300-450 drops of paint.  They will last a long time unless you spill them, so no need to get extras to start.

If you are in the US, a pack of #8 green craft brushes for $5 from Hobby Lobby works surprisingly well for base coats.  From there, you can consider getting a good #1 Kolinsky sable brush (my favorite is Da Vinci Maestro Series 10).  Dick Blick is a good source.

For primer, Reaper's Brush on Primer is a good choice for brush on priming.  If you like spray, I like Duplicolor Sandable Primer (available at auto parts stores): it's a cheap automotive primer that has a nice fine spray pattern that comes out at a good speed and is forgiving of temperature and humidity ranges.  Doesn't work well on Bones though, and I don't know how well it works on Imperial Assault plastic.

You will probably also want to pick up brush soap (from Hobby Lobby or Michaels), gloss varnish, and matte varnish.

For easy shading, a bottle or two of wash from Reaper, Secret Weapon Miniatures, or The Army Painter (not the cans of dip, the dropper bottles) are a good idea.  Or learn to make your own with matte medium, water, and paint (for example, Brown Magic Wash with matte medium, water, and Brown Liner at a 4:4:1 ratio (and adjust up or town)).

Ron

PS:  Here is an old article that I wrote detailing a beginning painter's shopping list.  I've changed my approach on a few things, so it's out of date, but it'll get you started.  If you happen to be going to GenCon, I teach an expanded and up to date class on Thursday and Friday at 8 AM.  The class is currently sold out, but if you show up anyway with generics, there's a good chance that I can get you in.

Edited by vutpakdi
  • Like 5

Thank you so much. I would have gone for one of the Master Series had you not pointed me in the right direction. Really appreciate your advice, thanks again.

Thanks for the reading list, just going through it now. Unfortunately I live in Australia so I won't be going to GenCon but cheers for the tips.

Edited by Callum
  • Like 2

IMO, Just start with the Learn to Paint Kit. Once you've gone through the kit, you can better understand and evaluate what other materials you need (hint: high quality brushes, Pink Soap or Brush Masters Soap, Army Painter or Secret Weapon washes, white and black brush-on primer). Unfortunately, if you're buying from an OLGS and need a minimum order, this might not always be possible. 

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

Yes. If you're beginning, fresh out the gate. the Learn To Paint kits are the way to go. Cheaper start, too!

Note: spray primers and petrochemical based paints are fine with metal figures, but the chemicals will tend to attack the plastic Bones. For Bones, use Brown Liner as a primer, and acrylic paints ONLY.

• Like 1

Since you are in Australia and if you are interested in classes, you might want to look up Meg Maples (aka Arcane Paintworks): she teaches classes at various cities in Australia (and elsewhere, when she travels).

There are many painting videos available on YouTube (of varying quality).  One of the best series is the Painting Buddha Community College, which is the free version of Painting Buddha Academy (which is a great value in terms of painting videos).  They are targeted towards intermediate and advanced painters, but you'll still learn if  you are a beginner.

One of the best beginner painting videos is the Jen Haley and Anne Foerster DVD from Dark Sword Miniatures.  The video is also available as a download from the CMON site.

Ron

PS:  If you haven't already guessed, there are many different approaches to painting, and if you ask 4 painters about what they use or what the best XXX is, you'll probably get 5 different answers (if you include when people agree and when they change their approach/mind).  ::):

Edited by vutpakdi
  • Like 2