Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

Tradkarl the Wanderer, Red Box Games

Marvin! He's one of your best ones yet. Very nice indeed! These are difficult sculpts with their smallness. You've done a bang up job on him. The snow just looks like you need more on there. Some around the ground cover and his feet would help sell the snowy winter look. Otherwise the base is awesome.

• Like 1

You've done one better than me by actually getting paint on him!  Mine escaped the chaos of my desk to hide in with the other unpainted minis. 

Your color choices are great and everything is very neat and tidy.  He looks good!  ^_^

EDIT:  Looked at the snow one more time and realized that the problem is exactly what tiniest rhombus said, there needs to be a little more.  Right now the snow looks a little too neat and tidy. 

Edited by LittleBluberry
  • Like 2

You're definitely getting better at painting, this recent batch of three have been really good, especially this guy.

• Like 2

Nicely done buckskin. If you want to raise this fig to the next level, try blending some highlights. Looks at a photo of a buckskin jacket to see how it looks in sunlight...cause this guy hasn't been inside since aught 3.

• Like 2

Love the mini and you've done a good job painting it. I'd give you a rough time on the eyes, but man, Tre loves his widdle bitty eyes, doesn't he?

• Like 3

Tips for easy improvement: Maybe Army Painter Ink Soft Tone on the skin, then try to redo the eyes if you can. It'll shade into the sockets pretty nicely. I'd give him some Strong Tone on the boot furs in particular, to make them look dirtier, darker and wetter than the rest of his gear.

Then I'd get Strong Tone at about 3:1 with water and do the shadowed 1/3 of the shaggy furs. When dry, give the top 2/3 a 1:1 with water, and the bottom quarter or less 4:1 with water.

This is treating every shaggy hem as a 3-D curved object. It is quite fast and simple but will really add depth, and as you do it you'll start to see how careful and judicious use of TIGHTLY CONTROLLED washes can put you up a notch in terms of looks.

For the snow, take the edge off some white with light blue and maybe a tiny tiny smudge of grey, thin it a bit and paint it in thoroughly; the black showing here is too strong. A wet but not running-away wet, translucent coat, will make it look less like white gravel and more like snow ice or slush. Also, light snow or frost will tend to hide in the shadows, so paint some on one side of the log and a bit on the grass on that same side, that should make it "feel" more real.

NOW THE PRAISE: Your painting is really, really neat, I see no missed spots, and you're getting a nice even finish with no clumping. You really are developing a lot of control of the brush and the paint. The colour selection is all good, and the basing is a really nice touch

• Like 1

He is really good, the color selection is great and the basing looks to me. The snow on the log can be read as mushrooms :-). For the next mini, you should look into washes or darklining, plus pushing your contrasts higher. I think you are ready to level up your painting.

• Like 1

Marvin;

You are your own worst critic !

Great Job on him.  I really like it, and I would be proud to have painted him so well.

Beautiful fur !

I hope you have a color wheel (you can print one out off the web)... then you can have

fun making rich shadows. 

Great Job!

Jay

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

I honestly don't even half try to get eyes right, lest I ruin the entire face, and I don't use washes enough, either. I kind of scare off them, worry they'll head the wrong direction on me. I need to practice more, obviously. I'm afraid I'm tapping out before blending and the like, too far above my pay grade.

I didn't want a lot of snow, but I can see where some more would probably be an improvement. The grains there, I think, are too large for a small smattering. Or that's part of it, maybe, I mean. Haha, I don't know. I picked up some different snow, actually, just to compare.

Thanks for all the advice! I hope my excuses don't make it seem like I'm brushing it off.

• Like 2

Marvin, You sling the paint and the brushes;

I'll wave the pom poms; my friend.

You are on your way, believe in you !

I do !

Jay

• Like 1