• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet! There is a new gaming store in my town, and it's only a block away from my house!

That's it really, just excited about having a store so close.

You're going to have to start telling the wife you're going to the bar with the guys just to keep yourself from getting in trouble.  :poke:

• Like 8

I've thought about opening or working in a FLGS, but it'd ruin the experience for me. A FLGS is a place where I go to relax, play games, get excited about new things, and so forth.

If I had to get up in the morning and go there every day, it would cease to be that.

• Like 5

There is a guy who works at a certain game store in San Antonio. I will call him "Bob." 

I can't count the number of times I've found him patiently listening to some yutz who wants to loudly compare Kirk and Picard, or explain why (X) game is FAR superior to the similar BUT INFERIOR (Y) game, and patiently and gently scoot the fellow to the side so other customers may approach the register...

Man, I deal with disabled and insane children for a living, and I couldn't maintain a tenth of Bob's forebearance on that job...

• Like 9

I did that, turns out you have to know people.

I know it may feel necessary to do away with incessant fools who want to talk your ear off but isn't a contract hit a little extreme?  or is this a different definition of "know people"...

and I am also super jealous. that sort of thing is just too good to be true. 

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 7

I have this grandiose idea of a square building: 4 quadrants.

1. Restaurant/front entrance.
  2. Restaurant
  3. Game Shop/Front of store/merchandising/connection to front of the Restaurant.
  4. Game Shop/game room/ Small sit down "bar" connection to restaurant in the game room//the game room looks like a classic dark wood cigar room!

The entire building to look like an old English tavern: wood beams etc!

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 5

I'm thinking of a shop like Arc describes... back in the nineties. I liked the place; it had tremendous atmosphere. Regrettably, it lasted a year and a half before going out of business.

And I'm also thinking that for some customers you encounter in game shops, a contract hit starts to sound pretty good after a while. The night Superman died, and hordes of people came out of the woodwork to buy the black-bagged comic, I was helping a buddy who worked at the FLGS, acting as unpaid freight muscle and shop security in exchange for "consideration." Another friend of mine showed up -- big comics fan, I'll call him "Bob," and soon, the slam was on; everyone wanted as many copies of Superman as they could get, and we had to limit the number you could buy, and of course, some people got irate about it, and blah blah blah. I noticed at one point that Bob seemed to be in a conversation with a guy I did not recognize. Thought nothing of it, and continued to move bundles and keep an eye open.

Later we went out for drinks. Turns out that Bob's little pal was a chatty fellow who'd attached himself to Bob for reasons unknown and followed him around all evening, yammering at him about his favorite comics.

"I am going to go to a T-shirt shop," said Bob, "and have a T-shirt made, and I will wear that T-shirt every time I go to a comic shop from now on... and that T-shirt will read, in BIG gothic letters, 'I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND.' "

So, yeah, there's that.

• Like 5

I'd rather just spend all that money on making a totally killer man cave/game room, and then having all the benefits of a game store, but only having to allow people *I* want to hang out with.

For some reason, I see you in your basement all by yourself.  

• Like 2

I'd rather just spend all that money on making a totally killer man cave/game room, and then having all the benefits of a game store, but only having to allow people *I* want to hang out with.

I already live there.  My place is commonly referred to as "Egg's Hobby Shop" . . .

The Egg

• Like 1

I don't. The one great benefit of a game store is a place to hang out with friends and game and paint, which I do.

But if I could have that without so many of the negatives of the game shop, and we all know what they are, it's pure win.

I already live there. My place is commonly referred to as "Egg's Hobby Shop" . . .

The Egg

Yeah, my basement isn't as finished as I would like, but likewise.

Edited by Qwyksilver

This is starting to bring to mind a thread from a while back in which someone complained that their FLGS wasn't so F... apparently, the staff had an attitude of "If we don't already know you and you don't buy half a K of GW at a time, you're not worth our time."

Now I'm starting to wonder if that hobby shop wasn't just a storefront equivalent of someone's basement...

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 1