The F"L"GS over in Boise has a space for play in the back + is well stocked with new & used items. It's a nice shop but my game shop over there will always be Dark Horse Games (I do believe they made the Groo & TMNT mini). The owner Wolf was awesome. He was that shop owner you could shoot the gaming bull with. I was soo heartbroken when he closed his shop & the new one went in, All about Games again is nice but they feel more like a corporate store then a local game store.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Doc Bedlam--- that exactly describes my old FLGS in CT. Dilvish, MadJack, and some others make reference to it every once in a while. Man, I miss that place! I haven't found one like that in my new location.

• Like 1

@Doc Bedlam--- that exactly describes my old FLGS in CT. Dilvish, MadJack, and some others make reference to it every once in a while. Man, I miss that place! I haven't found one like that in my new location.

By any chance do you mean Citadel or Sarges?

• Like 1

By any chance do you mean Citadel or Sarges?

I hung out at both, but I was referencing Citadel.

Cool! You convinced me to try playing 40k. I had some good times hanging out at Sarge's.

I bought some of your older models from you at one point.

I think I actually might've got a few of them painted, even. It was probably an accident. :poke:

• Like 1

Cool! You convinced me to try playing 40k. I had some good times hanging out at Sarge's.

I bought some of your older models from you at one point.

I think I actually might've got a few of them painted, even. It was probably an accident. :poke:

I feel like I should apologize... and not just to you... GW... ugh...

The great thing about the Citadel is that it's not just a mini store, or hobby shop, it's a game store... Everything from poker supplies to chessboards, board games, rpgs and minis. Which brings in a lot of business (and a lot of different people) from a lot of different areas.

Part of what kills off a lot of stores is that they focus too much on one particular area of gaming that's hot at the moment, but don't plan ahead for when that particular area wanes in popularity (whether temporarily or permanently). A lot of them can't even take a temporary lull in sales in that one area without having to close up.

Pat's got a good business model going. He doesn't charge ridiculous mark-ups (yay, original sticker prices on old stock!) and is happy to order anything his distributors can get him. His customers are family, and some have been coming there for thirty years or more. And it doesn't hurt that he's close to a Navy base, so he gets a lot of word-of-mouth publicity even in other states and a fair bit of internet business despite not having a web store set up.

(It's a testament to the quality of a store when the owner mentions he's planning to change locations to a place down the road and customers start volunteering to help him move before he can ask them. A dozen of us in a minivan and two pickup trucks packed up his old location, shelves and all, trucked it to the new store, and had it assembled and fully stocked in the space of one week. He was closed for business only for about three days.)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2