So, I spent yesterday working on some of my Bones II stuff. I'm around 70 figures in, but recently I haven't been doing much, instead working on sewing projects or metal figures for my PCs... That has to change, though, since Bones III is coming! With the Core Set looking pretty monster heavy, I want to get a second, possibly a third - but I only want to if I can prove I'll actually paint them, which means getting a good chunk of figures out of the way. My goal is 2-3 a day for the campaign's duration.

I started off the challenge with seven figures! I first did the Myconid Men, since the fact that they're all the same sort of mushroom meant I could pick a color palate and stick with it. I could only find five of mine - I think I gave the second medium one to a friend - but I have to say, they were fiddly. Not hard, just surprisingly detailed for the two big ones. Either way, five of them is a pretty intimidating little group... and for 5$, I'll probably wind up bringing it up to eight when I get the chance, just so that I can have a little choice when it comes to group size. Five is pretty much the smallest group of these I'd use, but I'd rather not just have my players fight the same suspiciously similar five-man mushroom band in all my campaigns...

post-12637-0-96687300-1436364847_thumb.jpg

post-12637-0-85908500-1436364849_thumb.jpg

post-12637-0-14177300-1436364851_thumb.jpg

post-12637-0-92060500-1436364852_thumb.jpg

The next one (well, two!) I did was the Mountain Troll. I wanted them to be more like Fire Trolls or some other sort of volcano giant, since one of my DMs does a lot of stuff with Fire Giants, so I gave them really dark reddish skin using one of my Citadel Paints, Doombull Brown, hit with a wash of Brown Liner; it didn't photograph great, but it's like the picture of the back of the blue one IRL on both. I painted one with blue and silver armor, and one with red and gold, and I have to say I love the contrast of the blue and silver on the dark skin.

This figure was super fiddley! The straps are really thick in places - I wound up painting them with either Blue or Brown Liner (Blue for the Silver one, Brown for the Gold) and then painting just the flat top of the strap with Sand Brown. And there are so many straps... I painted skin first, which was a mistake - next time I'll paint the basecoat on the straps, do the skin, and then just tidy up the straps before painting the details...

post-12637-0-29830900-1436364844_thumb.jpg

post-12637-0-05815000-1436364846_thumb.jpg

post-12637-0-76764700-1436364842_thumb.jpg

post-12637-0-58554200-1436364841_thumb.jpg

Beyond these, I got another 12 figures washed and primed with thinned Brown Liner - The stone giant and a hill giant, and a whole lot of Bugbears. I also got skin done on three of the bugbears and painted the skirt and skin on the hill giant; it's the one with the club, not the one with the tree. Hopefully I can do those four today; I have to get my costume for Connecticonn done, but I should be able to finish at least the giant...

• Like 16

Great myconids! I feel you on the need to get further into Bones 2 suddenly getting more urgent. Hope you join us over at the 24 hour painting challenge this weekend, or there's the 2015 revolutionary challenge as well, I think with your progress you will have plenty of time to catch up!

Ooo, I wish... I've got a big convention this weekend, though. I'll keep an eye out in the future, though!

I've been doing the Revolutionary Challenge - that's the 4/month one from the start of this year, right? - but not posting because I don't reliably have a camera. I'm at 54 since the start of the year, though!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.