Sign in to follow this  
Th3spian777

Need painting tips!

Hey guys! 

So, I'm 100% new to the mini scene, and finally getting into it after I've wanted to for so long. I, probably very stupidly, went to Games Workshop and bought a Galadhrim Warriors set from the LOTR series, and a couple paints to get myself started. The problem is they are insanely expensive and I know I can find cheaper stuff and even better quality. I'm on a college budget and would love to know where I can find a really good starter paint set with good brushes and paints that will last. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

And any other tips or advice you have for me as a newbie please let me know! I've already painted like 4 of my minis (Very horribly), so I may post them later. 

• Like 4

I've also just recently started. The first thing that I got was the Reaper Learn to Paint Bones kit, as I had a bunch of Bones from the 2nd Kickstarter. That gets you 11 paints, 3 minis, and 2 brushes. Order it from Reaper's site, and throw in an additional paint (or something cheaper, if necessary) to get $35 for free shipping. I also found a discounted GW set at the Hobby Town USA near me that came with 8 paints, 5 minis, and a brush for $25. That got me a pretty good set to start with. You might also want to look at the Bones 3 Kickstarter, as there should be at least two sets of paint as add-ons. They are sets of 12 paints each for $20.

I bought some additional brushes from Rosemary and Co. on the suggestion of some people on the forums and one of the YouTube channels whose tutorials I've been watching. $40 got me 6 brushes (would have been cheaper, but shipping to the US is $11). Good luck! I feel  your pain, having just started, and wanting my stuff to look better!

• Like 3

LOL - It's like covering oneself in honey and wandering into a room full of starving bears.

Well, GW paints are fine paints, and they cost around the same as any other brand, individually, so don't feel bad there. Their brushes are overpriced, I will state, bluntly. And I'm not fond of them, except for their large drybrush, which is overpriced, but lasts a good long time.

Many companies have starter sets.

Vallejo has a set with two brushes and basic colors from their Model Color range.

Reaper has many Learn to Paint kits right here on this site (more expensive than the Vallejo basic set).

The Army Painter has a decently-priced paint starter, but you only get one brush.

If it were me, starting over again, I would go with an Army Painter or Vallejo starter set and grab one of Reaper or Army Painter's smaller brush sets and a few GW metallics. 

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 3

Check out the tutorial database in this forum.

Search some how to paint fantasy miniature videos on youtube.

Then try to have fun, you will grow,

Also I sincerely advice at least 1 or 2 good quality brushes. size 0 and 1 or 1 and 2 what you prefer.

There are very good brands of paints out there, like Scale 75, Reaper, Vallejo and such.

Have fun and post your work in show off or make a WIP ( work in progress) and people will help you with praise, advice and throwing rocks ( mostly praise and advice) ::P:

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 2

Personally, I am a fan of reaper paints, but they can be expensive.  for starting out, if you are on a budget, craft store acrylics can be your friend. This is especially true when you aren't sure what you want your color pallet to look like.  Also the masters series brushes you can find in Michaels or Hobby Lobby are a great way to learn with out destroying your favorite brushes.  Folks may disapprove of my liking of craft paints but even today there are a few colors I have that just cant be matched by anyone else that sit proudly with my reaper colors.   

Also the fact that you can outfit yourself with 100 colors and brushes for under $100 is nothing for a college student to sneeze at.  The fact that the bottles are big and allow for easy sharing makes it that much better....

• Like 2

Alternatively, check out the new Reaper Kickstarter.  Paint set B is an absolutely great starter set for paints that will last you for quite some time.  $20 for 12 bottles.  It will be unlocking next.

Edited by Qwyksilver
Added link to KS.
  • Like 4

The advice above is pretty good. I will say that I strongly encourage you to buy at least one top-quality brush (there are many brush threads on this forum). You wouldn't play tennis with a whiffle bat, even though they're cheaper than a tennis racket. Spend the $12 (or so) to get the best brush*; it will make your life as a painter better.

* Kolinsky Sable: I like Winsor & Newton Series 7 #1, Raphael Series 8404 #1, or da Vinci Series 10 #2. Others will have other favorites. Dick Blick is usually a good place to buy them.

• Like 2

Alternatively, check out the new Reaper Kickstarter.  Paint set B is an absolutely great starter set for paints that will last you for quite some time.  $20 for 12 bottles.  It will be unlocking next.

But it won't ship for at least a year, so probably not a consideration if you want to start painting NOW.  If you expect to still be in this hobby next summer, sure, it's a great deal. 

• Like 3

Welcome!

While I totally agree you should pop over to the kickstarter for those paint sets, that's not really going to help you out now. :-)

The learn to paint kit gets you minis, brushes, paint and instructions. It's a good investment. The brushes aren't my favorite but they are loads better than the cheapy ones. The Rosemary and Co. Kolinsky are nice and very affordable. if you have a micheals near you, the brushes they have labeled as professional, while not nearly as nice as a good Kolinsky are not bad at all. Windsor and Newton Galleria, or Zen.

I'd pick up some cheap brushes too for priming, dry brushing and the like.

Brush soap is a good thing, get some of that.

And of course post your stuff, ask for advice. We love to give advice and encouragement.

• Like 1

But it won't ship for at least a year, so probably not a consideration if you want to start painting NOW.  If you expect to still be in this hobby next summer, sure, it's a great deal. 

Between LTPK1 and Paint Set B, OP will have a paint set that's fine for undead, orcs, and fully armored guys. Mantic actually has (or had) a Two-Player Battle Set that had armies of... undead and orcs. It's a very good price and I highly recommend it, if you intend to have these armies, or just a lot of them attacking the helpless village. After LTPK1, I would recommend the upcoming Army Painter Quickshade Ink wash set, if you're going for tabletop painting. After a base coat, washes will definitely come in handy when all those Bones arrive!

EDIT: Reaper has promotions in October and December, with free shipping thresholds. I think Kaladrax, the undead dragon, is actually a good model for new painters, because it has terrain, which is easier to paint than hero miniatures, and can be painted in just black and white. Wyrmgear is a very good figure to practice painting metals and shading -- you can start with a metallic basecoat, which will turn out great, then tinker with metals for further painting. Dragons Don't Share is a good set, from beginner-level terrain, to medium-level dragon, to the heroes themselves. You're not going to end up with the display-level paint jobs seen in advertising the sets, but you can still get good results with a basecoat, wash, and highlight.

EDIT EDIT: Pick up the "Undying Lords" add-on! Perfect models to paint after LTPK1!!!

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

Ditto with the Learn To Paint Kits. 

Games Workshop products are quite fine, but their prices are ludicrous, and the last time I bought their paints, I'd swear the bottles were engineered to not close correctly so the paint will dry out. The Learn to Paint Kits give you a sample palette to start with, and come with brushes. More brushes and paint selections can be had cheaply at a good Michael's, JoAnn's, or if you must support the plutocratic churchjumpers, Hobby Lobby.

• Like 1

if you are on a budget, craft store acrylics can be your friend. This is especially true when you aren't sure what you want your color pallet to look like.  Also the masters series brushes you can find in Michaels or Hobby Lobby are a great way to learn with out destroying your favorite brushes.  Folks may disapprove of my liking of craft paints but even today there are a few colors I have that just cant be matched by anyone else that sit proudly with my reaper colors.   

I use craft paints too, but some brands are crap, I find Folk Art brand to be quite good, though it is a pricier brand. Just remember the 40% most the stores have on their web pages and newspaper ads.

Edited by scorpio616

The advice above is pretty good. I will say that I strongly encourage you to buy at least one top-quality brush (there are many brush threads on this forum). You wouldn't play tennis with a whiffle bat, even though they're cheaper than a tennis racket. 

True, but you don't learn to drive in a Lamborghini.

Might make more sense for the newest members of the hobby to spend the same amount they would on a Windsor, instead on a set of three or so decent brushes of Reaper or Army Painter quality, and see how much mileage they get/interest they still have a month later.

Then, if it seems worth it to them, they might feel better about the investment. And, maybe more to the point, have a better idea of how to care for said Lamborghini.

The advice above is pretty good. I will say that I strongly encourage you to buy at least one top-quality brush (there are many brush threads on this forum). You wouldn't play tennis with a whiffle bat, even though they're cheaper than a tennis racket. 

True, but you don't learn to drive in a Lamborghini.

Might make more sense for the newest members of the hobby to spend the same amount they would on a Windsor, instead on a set of three or so decent brushes of Reaper or Army Painter quality, and see how much mileage they get/interest they still have a month later.

Then, if it seems worth it to them, they might feel better about the investment. And, maybe more to the point, have a better idea of how to care for said Lamborghini.

I don't actually agree in this case (though normally I pinch pennies enough to make them scream for mercy).

For $5, you can get a decent quality synthetic brush. For $13.04 right now, you can get a Raphael Series 8404 #1. We're not talking about the difference in price between a Lamborghini and a 12 year old Chevrolet Aveo. The difference in price is one metal miniature or about two bottles of paint. And the Raphael will last longer with equivalent care (IME much longer) and painting with it will be much less frustrating.

There is never a reason to buy a cheap brush for yourself. (Buying for paint-and-take is a different thing entirely.)

I just started this summer and finished my first mini last night after watching a lot of YouTube videos and haunting this forum.  You could click my profile and look at some of the threads I've started and you'll likely find that you're about to ask a lot of the questions that I did that were answered.  People are very helpful here.

• Like 1