Getting ready to get into painting.

Some of the best advice I ever got in painting was from DKS. Initially just focus on getting your paint where you want it, brush control. Once you have the ability to get the paint where you want it to be then the rest is just fine tuning.

• Like 3

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Practice is definitely the most important component to improving.  ^_^

I happened to already have cutting mats for use with cutting fabric, I stick one of those on my table and then put a sheet of paper on top of the cutting mat (since I want to be able to use it for cutting fabric again some day).  The paper is handy for testing out paint colors and catching stray spatters of paint. 

You might want to look into Masters Brush Soap or Pink Soap to clean your brushes.  I find that leaving a tiny amount of soapy water in the brush and gently shaping it to a point between painting sessions helps it behave.  Plus it's a good habit to have if you invest in nice Kolinsky brushes later.  Hope that helps!  ^_^

EDIT:  Figured I should add that a) you should rinse your brushes out before using if you leave soap on them and b) Pink Soap for brushes has a picture of Mona Lisa on the bottle.  The brush cleaners should be available at any art supply store or on Amazon. 

Edited by LittleBluberry

It didn't come out quite as poorly as I was expecting (I was expecting it to be pretty terrible), but I think that's mostly because of its simplicity. I also have gotten a lot of advice from this forum, the Bones III Kickstarter comments, and I've watch several youtube tutorials.

After my first paintjob I definitely learned a few things. I need better brushes (or just need to get better at using the brushes I have). I also will be getting a wet palette probably today before I paint mini number two. Small details are hard. And washes seem to be the easiest thing in the world (so far). I need better lighting. A magnifying glass might not be the worst idea in the world. Some cheap rags might be nice. And finally, I really want to paint a big dragon figure.

If my second figure goes well I'll probably be ordering more paints from Reaper soon. I've go a list of the ones I want and hopefully those will suffice for a long time. I'll post number two when I'm finished regardless of how it turns out.

When you guys prime with brown liner, do you water it down a bit first or just paint it straight on?

I hear ya on the small details, having just started myself. The funny thing is, I actually don't (or haven't so far, not haing done much) have too much trouble on the really small stuff, using a 10/0 brush, but the "kind of small stuff" (belt straps and the like) really give me problems.

Of the four Bones I've done so far, I've tried using liner once (I used grey, because the only store near me that carries Reaper didn't have brown), and I wish I would have watered it down a little (I know you can't do too much with Bones). Maybe I put too much on, but it came out almost looking like a black coat of paint.

From a fellow noob, good luck to you! That skeleton doesn't look too shabby to me!

Edited by Hestis
  • Like 2

So I got in on the new Bones Kickstarter and decided that I need to learn how to paint these things before they get here. I've never painted a mini before, but I plan on watching plenty of tutorials before I start. Right now my plan is to grab the Bones Learn to Paint Kit and possibly a few other paints to round out my color options. I also read on some other posts that people recommend getting higher end brushes than what comes in the set, so I might look into getting some of those as well.

My question is what would you guys recommend? Looking at the L2PK I'm going to need some flesh tones, and probably some reds and yellows as well. Are there any particular paints that you would recommend I add to my starting collection? As I'm just beginning I don't really have a style yet, but I do generally prefer dark, more gritty looking minis to the more brightly colored, fantastical looking ones, so I'm assuming that would change my selection of paints?

Also what brushes, other than the ones in the L2PK, so I get? And is there anything else I should look into? Like brush cleaners, or a pallet for mixing paints? Like I said, I'm completely new to this hobby.

I'm getting all the paint sets offered in the Kickstarter, so I'd like to stick with Reaper paints for the most part. I think having mix and match brands would get on my nerves, since I like things being particularly organized. But I've also been told I should stay away from Reaper washes because they are overly glossy. What are your opinions on that?

Any advice offered will be greatly appreciated.

I was where you are at the beginning of this summer and asked a lot of the questions that you have.  You might click my profile and examine some of my threads because there's a lot to learn and people here have been very helpful.  I kind of let myself get paralyzed by the amount of information out there and I'm not quite done with my second mini.  If I could pass on any advice at all, it would be that the most valuable learning you'll do will be from actually painting and making mistakes.

• Like 2

I'll just put out one piece of advice since I just saw that reference to a 10/0 brush. Paint the details with the largest brush you can. This is why we promote good brushes. A brush with a good sharp point will allow you to paint almost anything and have enough paint in the belly of the brush to keep on painting before needing to reload it. My kolinsky DaVinci Master Series size 1 brush has a point that will let me paint the reflection dot in an eye if I need to (okay I might drop down to a 0 for that). The smallest brush I use is a 0, my #1 is my primary workhorse and my #2 gets used on every mini. They don't have to be kolinsky brushes either when you are painting large areas or are laying down a base coat. If my brush has a good point if I can see the detail then I can paint it.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 4

Good brush control can even largely compensate for poor equipment with enough practice, but good quality painting gear (especially brushes) is often the difference between good and great on a paintjob when painting minis.

Personally, the smallest brush I use is a 3/0, for getting into tight spots.

Edited by Mad Jack

Good brush control can even largely compensate for poor equipment with enough practice, but good quality painting gear (especially brushes) is often the difference between good and great on a paintjob when painting minis.

Personally, the smallest brush I use is a 3/0, for getting into tight spots.

And as a side note to that, weather can play a role in how you paint and what techniques work really well and what don't. For instance I live in a high altitude, dry climate (except this year unusually wet, humidity has been up in the 40% range). Paint dries quickly so you have to work quickly, a brush that holds more paint is a more effective tool. If I tried to use a 3/0 brush odds are that the paint would dry on the tip of the brush before I even got it to the mini. Its hard to do true wet blending here because the paint dries so fast. Wet blending, as an example, is much easier to pull off in wetter climates. So if something is not working for you pay attention to your environment and that might be the culprit.

Any advice besides to just continue practicing?

Sure! Back the Bones III KS! :lol:

Have you looked into basing? Flat cork, dead static grass, Woodland Scenics Basic Diorama kit.

What figures do you need or want to paint for your RPG games? Start painting those undead and orcs, at least!

I'm already several hundred deep in the Kickstarter. It's one the main reasons I'm here learning to paint.

As for basing, I've seen some tutorials but it's not something I'm particularly interested in at the moment. Maybe I'll look into it after I get decent at painting. I plan to use these minis, not display them, and having a nice, thick grass base while walking through a dungeon is a little dissonant.

My next step is deciding if I want to pull the trigger on $50 of new paints, or if I jump all in for $240 of new paints. I'm going to need them once the Kickstarter ships, so it's really just a matter of now or later.

I'm also grabbing some reaper brushes, as the only art stores around me don't have anything suitable.

The plan is to paint one or two more figures today, and I'm going to try to take WIP photos so you all can better critique my form.

Edited by CGNefarious

Well, new pants are certainly nice, but won't help you paint :)

I was in your situation back in 2012 after the first Bones KS, and I bought the full set of Reaper paints. I don't regret it a bit, it's nice to have it all on hand to have the options open and really learn the line. On the other hand, I've maybe used half the colors in three years of painting (has it been THAT LONG!?).

Best thing I ever did was buy top quality brushes. A really nice brush is a joy to use. First couple years I used Winsor & Newton Series 7 size 1 and 2. Last year I picked up a Rosemary&Co size 1 that I've just fallen in love with.

• Like 2

Full set? Jesus. I'm maybe looking at having about 80 colors total. I do this thing were I always jump headfirst into hobbies and spend way too much time and money on them. But I've been playing D&D for almost a decade now so I don't think this is something I'll just get bored with and stop doing. I'll probably pull the trigger on them, it's just a matter of when.

Now it's about time to get to painting that orc.

• Like 3