Gourls Paints 77191: Hydra

sirgourls

Another bigger mini from me. I'm still getting used to painting miniatures this size. I didn't really go for anything too wild here though. A pretty traditional color scheme, I think. Still trying to nail something I'd call tabletop quality, though I think this fits the bill okay. I like how my serpent-eye effect turned out. I think if I painted another one of these guys I'd do something different with the coloration, maybe duller scale colors, as if he sunned himself a lot or something. I also wouldn't have assembled it first (I bought him a long time ago and put him together and just started painting him the other day) as the inner heads especially were a huge pain to get to. Lesson learned! Don't assemble miniatures with enclosed space before applying paint. Anyway, enjoy!

post-13920-0-10595300-1436583110_thumb.jpg

post-13920-0-81344900-1436583123_thumb.jpg

post-13920-0-11817500-1436583137_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice work, you are definitely on-track for "good tabletop", a couple more tricks up your sleeve and you will be cranking it out!

Here's some tricks to dress him up a little bit:

Flock the base, and consider a light drybrush with a yellower green. You could also do a similar trick elsewhere: lighter yellow-brown on the belly scales and a tiny bit of a yellower orange on the spikes, it would make the colours a bit crisper and cleaner.

My quick-and-consistent base, which might not work for your eye but looks good to me, is to superglue a layer of fine sand to the base (any old sand will do, raid a sand-pit, a few odd-size grains is a good thing), then paint that a drab brown. Then drybrush with a dark bone colour. Now apply a few areas of superglue, and stick static flock to those areas. It looks good, has a bit of variety, is quick and easy, and fits into most terrain/scenarios without clashing.

• Like 1

Thank you! And thanks for the advice on flocking. I've never tried any basing before. I did do some yellow-green, orange-red, and yellow-brown drybrushing but I could definitely have pushed the contrast a bit more. I was afraid of pushing too far and it being a hassle to bring them back down. Next time I shall go for it!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Inarah
      This is the bones version of 3761, and I think it has not made it into the store yet.  I painted it like a big orc, or like the title says, half-ogre/half-orc.  I don't normally paint blood, but this guy needed a little extra to emphasize how mean he is. 

• By Inarah
      One of Bob Ridolfi's sweet little undead monsters from earlier this summer.  I tried some grey skin tones to give her a "definitely not human" look, with the contrasting pale yellow funeral dress.  It's all right, and there's nothing you need to be concerned about here....

• By solomon_kane
      Or, as I like to call him, Smaul Hollywood. 

• By Rigel
      FROM SPACE IT CAME! Its motives--INSCRUTABLE! Its desires--UNKNOWN! This is why the Galacteer Academy requires three semesters of Xenodiplomacy, cadet!

This spacefella was an excellent excuse to experiment with colorshift paints. 

Betty (50150) and Rizzo investigate.

Further scans are necessary!

Good news! It seems to be benevolent, desiring only TO SERVE MAN. Whew! What a relief! That could have gone so much worse. Another crisis averted, thanks to the Galacteers!

• By Rigel
      Matthew Beauchamp recently sculpted an excellent line of Dragon Men for his Retroverse. I had to get them--and they are massive and burly, about 45mm or so! Great scaly brutes, 
      But the heads were a little less reptilian and more orcish than I would like, having committed to the Antediluvian aesthetic of Buckland Rogers.  Don't worry, I'll find a use for that head somewhere. 
      So I took a couple of hours with Green Stuff and a dental tool and made a new hunchbacked crocodilian/mosasaur head, scarred and with a toothy muzzle. This is a prominent NPC in my spacefuture games, Atrox the weapons merchant. 

He is about nine foot tall, cheerfully violent and moderately amoral. Won't sell biological weapons or anything with long-half-life decay products, but otherwise it's fair game if you have the credits.

Pretty scarred about the face and neck, because he's a professional and insists on testing each type of weapon before selling. Also from ritual Laser-Glaive duels.

I have decided his species mostly practices gigantocracy: whoever is biggest gets to rule. Not a perfect system, but very good at supply logistics and famine avoidance.

"Perhapf sir would care to infpect our line of Deathshead blafters? Only the finest quality!"

"Flamerf, zapperf, plafma-bolterf, we got it. Throw in a laser free with every third purchase."

"We think thif one is from the future. I call it an Ontological Disruptor.  Dunno HOW it works, but push thif button and the target vanishes from the physical univerfe for 6.3 secondf. The savvy tacticianf can immediately fee the poffibilitief."

"Or perhapf sir would like a more ELEGANT weapon, from a leff civilized age?"

"Clubf, maces, nooses, axes single or double, goads, prods, glaivef, fpears, throwable mambelef--oh, the Vault?"

"I see that sir is a discerning customer! Only the moft DEVAFTATING beam weaponf and mortarf to be found thif side of New Xibalba!" 

"But don't juft take MY word for it! Liften to the teftimonialf of our satisfied customerf!"

• Who's Online   5 Members, 1 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)