5 Heads, 7 Days, Everybody's Crazy! Discussion Thread

OneBoot

Just posted in the KS comments that I've decided to officially join buglips and Shadowraven in their insanity of painting "Tianot" in 5 7 days. ^_^

Speculation has begun over what a proper reward for the "winner" will be. :)

EDIT: It was later decided that Ma'al drakar would be a 7 day challenge, not 5.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
correction
  • Like 15

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that you put winner in quotation marks, lol. "Survivor" might be more apt. But all my respect for stepping up to the plate, Boots. It's tough, but rewarding. And not just in footwear.

At the request of Ladystorm, this is a new thread to discuss the crazy 5-headed dragon in 7 days challenge that will take place after Bones III fulfillment.

As of now, the confirmed participants are me, Shadowraven, and OneBoot. This speed painting challenge will test endurance, swiftness, and quality of the end result. ReaperBryan will offer a prize of some sort to the winner.

The rules of the challenge will be the same rules carried over from my previous speed challenges, since this particular challenge originated when Shadowraven threw down the gauntlet and challenged me on my own terms. Thus it is an opportunity for anybody who thinks they can do it (and is crazy enough to try) to paint the 5-headed Bones dragon in 7 days (tentative depending on what the retail set comprises) under the following conditions:

1. Must be brushpainted

2. No brush size larger than 0 (no airbrushing)

3. No prepwork permitted except boiling to reposition warped pieces and cleaning any mold release residue off (i.e. - to factory spec). Note that this also prohibits line or seam trimming.

Participants will start and end at the same time, comprising a full 7 days. The winner will be determined (probably by ReaperBryan, if he is willing) based on completion in the time allowed and overall quality of the finished work.

Fun is more important than winning! It will be a grueling and stressful ordeal, but that doesn't mean it can't also be fun!

While I respect all input, the base rules are not going to be changed or tweaked. If that is done, it fundamentally changes the nature of the challenge so that it's not the same as the previous three. If the rules as they stand don't appeal, don't take part. The sole flexible factor was time, and that is now set to 7 days. Nothing else will be changed. The rules are the rules that would apply to me on my own, people are just free to join in this time and maybe win a prize.

Note: While anybody is welcome to participate, in the interests of organization me, OneBoot, and Shadowraven will be considered the primary initial participants. This is only so that when the time comes to set a date, we only need to work out a space of days that works for the three of us. If we instead wound up with ten people, we'd never practically be able to find 7 good days between everybody due to jobs, life stuff, so on. This distinction does not prejudice anybody else from entering or winning, it's merely organizational.

Edited by OneBoot
corrected length of challenge, added clarification
  • Like 15

I like that you put winner in quotation marks, lol.  "Survivor" might be more apt.  But all my respect for stepping up to the plate, Boots.  It's tough, but rewarding.  And not just in footwear.

Exactly! I figure that even if I don't "win", I'll still have an awesome, beautiful painted mini when I'm finished. Which sounds like a pretty big win to me! ^_^

Huzzah!

• Like 11

You don't even know exactly how big she is... will the five days include putting her together?

Yes.  The only work permitted before the clock starts is to boil pieces back to shape.  No glueing, trimming, painting, priming, pinning, drilling, puttying, or whatever else.  Just restored to factory default.  Part of the challenge is the compromises that have to be made in the interests of speed without sacrificing too much quality. 

The good news is that, outside of work on the model, participants have all the time in the world to plan.  Planning is essential, particularly if it's only 5 days.  Work out your colours, study the model for difficult areas. and if you can pre-mix batches of paint do it to save time. 

• Like 11

The good news is that, outside of work on the model, participants have all the time in the world to plan.  Planning is essential, particularly if it's only 5 days.  Work out your colours, study the model for difficult areas. and if you can pre-mix batches of paint do it to save time. 

Already started. ::D: I plan to try out some of my color scheme ideas on my dragon hatchlings from Bones 2; if I like how they turn out, they'll make great little test tiles (pottery term; a test tile is a scrap piece of clay used to test how different glazes will look before using them on a finished piece).

My current idea is to buck the chromatic trend and make my Tianot a 5-headed METALLIC DRAGON, using all 5 of the metallic dragon colors from the Pathfinder Bestiary. :bday:

...I'm going to need a lot more metallic paint. :wacko: EDIT: Especially gold, since that's what the main body will be. :)

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 15

Outside of planning your attack, the absolute most crucial bit is to let go and not worry. You ain't got time to worry. Having other competitors will make this much more tense, so remember to breathe and keep moving. Win or lose, just completing it before the end will be a tremendous achievement.

In the build-up to the launch, I will share with the participants all the tricks I know and materials I use. This should make us more or less equal when the starter pistol fires. I'll try to give as much detail as I can, to share the benefits of my previous three experiences.

For people watching events unfold, remember that this operates on the honor system. We have no way of verifying if the participants are strictly adhering to the tool use rules, and my assumption will be that everyone is. While it might seem amusing to joke that people are not, please be aware that whatever the intent of the joke this will be seriously disruptive to concentration and enjoyment. Please exercise discretion, the event will be stressful.

Edited by ladystorm
merged sequential posts
  • Like 12

For people watching events unfold, remember that this operates on the honor system.  We have no way of verifying if the participants are strictly adhering to the tool use rules, and my assumption will be that everyone is.  While it might seem amusing to joke that people are not, please be aware that whatever the intent of the joke this will be seriously disruptive to concentration and enjoyment.  Please exercise discretion, the event will be stressful. 

Remember, you have to add an extra 0 onto your paintbrush for every challenge you've done before!  So for buglips, master of no sleep, he must use a 000!

• Like 9

If this were just Buglips I'd offer up like my used sweatband from my daily runs, but since Humans are participating, I think I'll offer up a gift certificate or something.

Hey! I'd like that sweatband! I could use it as collateral in trade for something in Buglips' bugs collection, sheesh, no fair.  ::(:

On a serious note, your support is EPIC!

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 7