5 Heads, 7 Days, Everybody's Crazy! Discussion Thread

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited to see how your metallic dragon will turn out. Are you still having the heads all blend into a gold body? Have you possibly considered making the body platinum?

Me too! :) Yes, that is still the current plan, though I need to do some experimenting with blending different metallic colors together to see if that's viable; never blended metallics before. :) lol I hadn't, but I don't see how I could differentiate it from the silver enough (I'm currently having this problem with gold and brass); plus, I'm trying to keep him at least marginally "traditional" by having the head in the middle be the primary head + main body color.

Another thing I'd considered was blending all 5 all the way down to the tail, but, although it would be TOTALLY AWESOME, I doubt most highly that such a thing would be doable within the timeframe of the challenge.  :upside:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

That's true, the time restraint really limits the options sometimes. Platinum might be too close to silver for this one. Perhaps add a blue tinge to it? Oh, the possibilities.......

I still have a lot to learn before I even attempt a big project like this. I think I might make the heads metallic, chromatic, gem, ferrous, and planar, just so that all the dragon types are represented.

• Like 1

I am planning on joining as well.

I have been considering color schemes and nothing spoke to me until I decided to pick out my 5 favorites and see where that got me. Palomino gold for the belly scales, Arthurian Blue for the body, Briar Rose for the wing membranes, and Blighted Gold for the claws, spines, whatever.

Problem: thats only 4.

Solution: try it on a baby dragon!

• Like 6

Do you guys have decent art to get inspiration from for five-headed dragons? I am not participating in the competition, but still would love to gather thoughts for my dragon.

Honestly I am reaching on plans. I would love to slowly pick up multiples of this and one has a definite scheme in mind that would require me to take my time

• Like 4

Do you guys have decent art to get inspiration from for five-headed dragons? I am not participating in the competition, but still would love to gather thoughts for my dragon.

Well, if you're going classic D&D scheme, google either D&D Tiamat or Takhisis. You'll get art like this:Takhisis_zpscf6ca748.jpgtakhisis_and_bahamut_by_piyastudios-d4dr

Otherwise, I have no idea. Maybe look at images of hydras?

• Like 9

WOW I am SO READY for this!!! We are going to be awesome!! Our dragons are going to be awesome!! 

... I hope it's not to early to get hyped.

If you enjoy having this gnaw at your brain for an entire year, then not at all!

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 4

Well, if you're going classic D&D scheme, google either D&D Tiamat or Takhisis. You'll get art like this:Takhisis_zpscf6ca748.jpgtakhisis_and_bahamut_by_piyastudios-d4dr

Otherwise, I have no idea. Maybe look at images of hydras?

I may check out some hyrdas. I don't know if I am feeling the middle head matching the body. It makes the other heads stand apart more than I am liking. At least I think that is my issue. Not really sure.
  • Like 4

IIRC, Tiamat and Takhisis are usually represented as big Red-ish dragons with a number of equally- or nearly-equally-sized heads sprouting off of the body to represent the other chromatic dragon types. Red being as eye-catching as it is, it can lead to some interesting visual effects. I think the Reaper version is going to have more balance among head sizes, at least.

This is one of my favorites...

Tyranny-of-Dragons-Campaign-Art-Tiamat.j

but it's pretty desaturated, too.

Edited by terminalmancer
  • Like 5

A question was brought to my attention by somebody who can name themselves if they so wish that I'd like to clarify.  The specific question, being rather clever IMO, was along the lines of "what if somebody decided to paint the dragon all white, and only painted the shadow areas and used the base colour Bones as white?"

I had to think about that one a while before making a call, and I'm glad it came up before the challenge was under way (any more questions like this, feel free to PM me).  I had to weigh the validity of being that clever vs. any potential for disagreement - specifically the contention that leaving parts bare can be argued as an "incomplete". 

To head off any potential for argument, I'm adding the rule that "all visible areas must be painted".  So if you plan to do any white (and most of us probably will) you have to paint the white parts with white paint.  How you do that is up to you (subject to the other rules, such as no airbrush) but you have to cover it.  You do not, however, have to paint nonvisible areas like tabs, inner body half hollows, base underside, or glue joins unless you so desire. 

This will help make sure everybody faces an equally fair time-eating challenge.  The good news is that all my challenges followed this rule by default already anyway, so it's more a clarification than a change. 

• Like 10

Paint it with pure acrylic medium.  Hit some shadows with pink.  Pink eyes.  Albino Takisamatdrakar.

Actually, I want to see someone paint this in monochrome black/white.

Ma'aldrakar Noir  :poke:

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 11

That's awesome! My husband and I actually did that when we worked together at the ceramics shop. We bought a piece that was 2 dragons together, and we painted the whole thing in black and white. Looking at it now, wow - we were not great at painting.

• Like 3

Okay guys, the time in months left before we're holding our glorious 4 lb. 5-headed epicness can be counted on one hand (barring any issues with transport/delivery of KS items to/from Reaper)!!!!  :wow:  :wow:  :wow:

How has everybody trained and/or psyched themselves up so far? For myself, I just acquired 25 size 0 brushes yesterday, which will be introduced to my Kaladrax next week. It's on my calendar, so that makes it official! ^_^ After that, I will be doing all sorts of color test swatches. I anticipate lots of oddly colored space marines and other unused Bones minis in my near future! :bday:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 12