What color to shade this with?

Hestis

Hi all. I've just recently gotten into painting, and one of the things that is difficult for me (aside from the whole small details/paint in the lines thing... yipes!) is the color theory aspect of it. I've started on the Bones version of Bloodhoof, and I'm not sure what I should use to shade. I would like the fur to be a reddish/brown (maybe just a tad more brown than what is in the photo). I don't have a ton of paints yet. I have the LtP Bones set, and some Game Workshop. I have the Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade washes (as well as their red, blue, and green washes), and I was thinking of using the Earthshade since it is brown. Would this be a good option? Would something else be better? Sorry for the less than great picture. Thanks in advance for any help! 

post-14108-0-97431000-1437258206_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering your very limited list of paints (you didn't list all your GW paints)... And that you want to darken the brown fur a bit...

Put a couple drops of the Agrax in your palette and mix a very tiny single drop of Reaper Pure Black into it (Pure Black is one of the HD colors, so you'll want to use even less of it than usual in a wash). Make sure you mix it up really well. It should work to darken up the fur a bit. You may need to experiment a few times to get it so it's not too dark, so try a few experiments on an old mini blister or a white piece of paper first. Lay down a few spots of your base color you used for the skin and then try a few different mixes to see which one works best.

Take notes on which colors and how much of them you used just in case you come up with something that looks really cool, so you can recreate it on another mini if you need to.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

Personally, I'd wash with the Agrax Earthshade brown, let it dry, have a look. If you then want more deep shadow shading, thin the .... whichever GW wash is darker ... and apply it thinly.

As a general rule, a brownish wash can work very well for reds and red-browns, and is probably your best bet for the gold metallics there, too.

Being a fan of the API quickshade inks, I'm inclined to suggest Agrax All Over, and see how you like it.

• Like 1

Agrax is dissapointingly thin, I don't think that will work well by itself over that dark reddish color but you could try it.  I would do what Mad Jack suggests and mix a few drops of ink, but with blue (unless you have purple as Miss Melons suggests). 

The Nuln oil looks blackish and should look great over the metallic armor and on the entire weapon.  Let a few drops pool in his eye sockets and dry. That will bring definition to his face.  When it is very very dry, paint the white part of the eye. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies! I do actually have a deep violet, so I'll try mixing that into the Earthshade and do some experimenting with that.

Congrats!

When you get more into color theory, using green washes in the recesses of red works great too since it can both darken AND desaturate the color, making more effective shadows for certain applications.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies! I do actually have a deep violet, so I'll try mixing that into the Earthshade and do some experimenting with that.

Congrats!

When you get more into color theory, using green washes in the recesses of red works great too since it can both darken AND desaturate the color, making more effective shadows for certain applications.

These are the kinds of things I've been reading through this forum to learn (and thanks to everyone else that has given similar replies). I don't really have any kind of artistic background (Most "artsy" things I try to do could probably be done better by a two year old), so the most experience I have is playing around with the costume creator in City of Heroes. I think I might try to find a "Color Theory for Dummies" type of book.

For example, I didn't want to use brown for the straps or horns on Bloodhoof up there, because I didn't think it would show very well against the red/brown I want for the fur. But I really don't like the way the black turned out, so I'm going to try some other options. And I still haven't decided what color I want to paint his kilt. 

I'm also going to at least one mini painting class at GenCon (possibly two depending on if my friends and I advance in another event), so hopefully that will help some as well.

• Like 1

For "Black" try midnight blue, highlighted with a bluish grey, shaded with black or walnut brown (ie an almost black but actually brown).

Messing with cool and warm tones gives it depth and stops the black from basically making the dimensions of the part invisible.

Walnut brown is my favorite "black". Nightmare Black is a good enough cool black, except it has poor coverage, at least for me, and needs at least two coats to look like a black.

• Like 1

Congrats!

These are the kinds of things I've been reading through this forum to learn (and thanks to everyone else that has given similar replies). I don't really have any kind of artistic background (Most "artsy" things I try to do could probably be done better by a two year old), so the most experience I have is playing around with the costume creator in City of Heroes. I think I might try to find a "Color Theory for Dummies" type of book.

For example, I didn't want to use brown for the straps or horns on Bloodhoof up there, because I didn't think it would show very well against the red/brown I want for the fur. But I really don't like the way the black turned out, so I'm going to try some other options. And I still haven't decided what color I want to paint his kilt. 

I'm also going to at least one mini painting class at GenCon (possibly two depending on if my friends and I advance in another event), so hopefully that will help some as well.

I've been there with you about color theory. We had some nice discussions here on the forum, just need to use the search feature and spend some time going through the different threads. It is an adventure and I am sure you will soon find out knowing things you didn't know you where looking for.

My own breakthrough regarding color theory after reading a LOT in the internet was Betty Edwards' Color book. Simple, sets the basics, and got my own ideas going regarding how to approach colors. I still don't know too much but at least when someone talks about color contrast, or using orange-brown in a base for a blue miniature now I nod in understanding...

• Like 2

Congrats!

I've been there with you about color theory. We had some nice discussions here on the forum, just need to use the search feature and spend some time going through the different threads. It is an adventure and I am sure you will soon find out knowing things you didn't know you where looking for.

My own breakthrough regarding color theory after reading a LOT in the internet was Betty Edwards' Color book. Simple, sets the basics, and got my own ideas going regarding how to approach colors. I still don't know too much but at least when someone talks about color contrast, or using orange-brown in a base for a blue miniature now I nod in understanding...

Good to know. I see that it's available on Amazon. Maybe I'll check the Half-Price Books near me as well. 

• Like 1