SamuraiJack

Conan: Rise of Monsters 7-31

THOTH-AMON'S LEGION OF SET

"Know, oh prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, an age of swords and sorcery, an age...of MONSTERS...

It is said pirates found the Iron Bound Book of Skelos on the Nameless Isle, guarded by obscene, toad-like things and buried beneath the statue of their pagan god, Tsathoggua. The black-hearted buccaneers sailed west with their prize to the coast of Kush, where after several misadventures, it came into the possession of Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Black Ring and Speaker of Unholy Set.

The Book of Skelos allowed the sorcerer to raise an army of monsters—demons from the pit, creatures of the natural world, and even beasts and champions from other times and dimensions. But Thoth had been defeated before, and his greatest enemy, Conan of Cimmeria, now sat on the powerful throne of Aquilonia.

Thoth would not just raise one army—he would share pages from the Book of Skelos with other wizards and warlords until Hyboria was a shattered, blood-stained ruin. These Legions of Set would threaten every corner and destroy every foe. And when they were through, Thoth-Amon and his servants would rebuild the world in honor of their dark god.

KING CONAN'S CIRCLE OF IRON

Nations, rivals, kings, and bandits all fell before Set’s Legions—or joined it in hopes of escaping destruction. King Conan and his allies fought the forces of destruction but their numbers were too great and their monsters too mighty. In desperation, the Priests of Mitra brought forth their own Book of Skelos from the dark vaults beneath Aquilonia. King Conan resisted the use of sorcery almost to the point of no return, but a strange encounter on a battlefield in Kush changed the barbarian’s mind. Those who were with him said King Conan fought a younger version of himself—from the days he was known as Conan the Reaver. That battle convinced the king that he must fight black sorcery with black sorcery.

Conan relented. The Aquilonian Book of Skelos was brought from the darkness. Priests, captains, and champions from allied lands were granted knowledge from the unholy tome and became the Circle of Iron.

Now Set’s Legions battle the Circle of Iron across Hyboria, pitting swords against sorcery and towering monsters or slavering beasts against flesh and bone.

It is a time to fight, o prince. It is a time to rise. It is the Rise of Monsters!

I'm very on the fence about this, it'll depend on price and quality of these pre-paints. I don't mind having pre-painted plastics, I actually own quite a few to use for our D&D games.

• Like 1

I love the mammoth and the snake, but I don't do prepainted minis.

I'm in the hobby for painting.

Aside from that I made this piece of artwork where the armies clash with the big snake my wallpaper now.

I mean My main interests are Undead, Barbarians and Reptiles, so I had to.

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 2

So what stops me from backing at the booth, and then withdrawing my pledge?

But like almost all Gen Con Freebies, if you are not willing to wait in a long line to get into the hall the first moment it opens, you are usually SOL.

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 1

But like almost all Gen Con Freebies, if you are not willing to wait in a long line to get into the hall the first moment it opens, you are usually SOL.

Good question! Nothing stops you from doing that, they probably believe if you are going to wait in line to get the figures and back at their booth that you'll like their figures, tell a few friends and keep your pledge.

• Like 1

As far as the free mini, used to be they'd just be giving the free mini out at GenCon to promote a game. 

I'm not currently impressed as far as i seee things. Right now seeing how each sample faction only has one monster, but a schload of bipeds in formations of five, that is screaming to me that a distribution scheme similar to Haloclix will be in effect. More Master Chiefs and UNAC soldiers than you'll ever need, but the  inhuman figures being rare and overpriced on the secondary market.

Edited by scorpio616

Looks interesting enough to me, and as a subscriber to Pathfinder Battles I don't really have a prejudice against prepainted. That being said I'll need to see more finished models before I back.

• Like 1

Good question! Nothing stops you from doing that, they probably believe if you are going to wait in line to get the figures and back at their booth that you'll like their figures, tell a few friends and keep your pledge.

And even if you don't pledge, you will likely tell a bunch of people. Even if you are just bragging about how you got free minis, you are likely to tell your gaming buddies, maybe show them off at your local gaming store, etc. That will still manage to get them some word of mouth advertising. And if the minis are nice, most people will likely back after getting some for free. Potentially this could be a pretty good marketing technique. Seeing physical, finished minis in hand is a lot better then backing something based on some nice looking concept art, which is what  most kickstarters rely on.

• Like 2

Well, it will be interesting to see how well this fares. I do wonder if this being closer in size to current gaming minis can help it avoid being Clearance bait like Arcane Legions.

Edited by Frankthedm

Prepaints will be at the painting company's highest level: "We are paying for premium paints from the factory - many manufacturers have 3 degrees of painting and we want to pay for top tier - because Conan demands that level."

And... you will be paying for it. Each starter set pledge will be $125 for 15 miniatures plus SG's, since backers are paying for both the molds and painting service at the same time. When's the LE KS going to start? :lol:

Edited by ced1106