Sign in to follow this  
Spritz

Found some oldies

I've started painting minis again, since this winter. I used to do some in my twentys but did not take the hobby seriously as i do now. For the last few months i've been furiously looking for my old models without success, until today! They are ral partha pewter models from the 1990's. I did not remember i had the rats , the neanderthal and the rhino, it was quite a surprise when i found them. The paint is chipped but i will remove it & redo'em.

The wizards and the storm giant were done without primer, had no idea i should do that back then. All the models were done without the use of a magnefying glass, wich i do now. It's interesting seeing one's past work from 20 years ago. I wonder if i should repaint my very first ones or keep'em as is?

This is a trip!

post-14038-0-40608500-1437426519_thumb.jpg

post-14038-0-28416600-1437426538_thumb.jpg

post-14038-0-19447600-1437426555_thumb.jpg

post-14038-0-24669700-1437426578_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

20 years is a long gap in between and it probably isn't worth keeping them painted "as is" for the sake of comparison and what not..especially if you're taking painting seriously now and weren't back then; your entire approach/attitude was different. Take a few mug shots and save those as comparison but salvage the miniatures and begin your new 'serious' painting journey in earnest with some figures you already know and love. 

• Like 2

Unless you really want to paint them, I say keep them as is. (I guess I disagree with Adrift :lol:). Most of the time, I have some new hotness I would rather paint than my old guys. So I have left mine painted as is. But if there was ever a day when I really wanted to paint them, I would strip them and paint anew!

• Like 2

Either the photos you have are enough, so afterwards you can strip and paint them, or get new copies. The druids and storm giant can still be purchased on line without any problem, don't know about the other ones.

someone else recently made the comment that you should keep the early stuff as is so down the road you can see how far you have come as a painter.

• Like 1

Hmmm.... So many different opinions on this. I kept wizards and the giant as is for now, the others have been soaking for two days, most of them were unfinished anyways. Even thought i did not do highlights then i really love my storm giant and the red wizard. Pictures are taken and i ever feel compelled to i' ll repaint them. I have enough on my plate for now i can wait. And the bones kickstarter in autumn will add plenty more to do.

Nice job and a similar story to my own.

I stopped painting around 1985 and started again in 2014 after finding some old figures while cleaning up storm damage

Now I have done about 25 reapers

5 old figures I finished, the rest I left as is. I replaced a few oldies on ebay.

They have a charm but they just cant touch todays Reaper designs. I do wish Reaper would use some of the old school poses

Edited by uber-stooge
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dae
      I recently finished Anirion! It was time to add layering to my toolbox of techniques and he seems to be the go-to model for learning.

Since by I now have (just) over 10 minis under my belt, I'm obviously an expert  so I felt confident enough to go with my own colors rather than the ones in the instructions (from Layer-Up kit). Still, even with my "vast experience", I've only painted beasts and monsters so far -- no fancy clothing on any of them -- so I was a bit nervous about messing up my first hero, but you gotta start somewhere. 

I think he turned out great, but it went nothing like the videos one might find... And by that I mean it took me several painting sessions over a few weeks to finish him.

More on how it went on: pocketsizedadventurers.wordpress.com/2019/10/19/anirions-wavy-robes/  *

* First post, woo-hoo! Still finding my way around here. Rules seem to allow non-commercial external links, let me know if I'm wrong... Our blog, Pocket-Sized Adventurers, features the works of two newbies and is meant to keep track of our progress and share our experience with whomever might find it helpful.
    • By 72moonglum
      Good morning everybody and Happy New Year!

So I actually had these painted since the very beginning of the year, but had to go out of town and couldn't get their bases finished until I got back.  So here are my first miniatures completed for 2020, four lizard men that Julie Guthrie sculpted for Ral Partha if I recall correctly in 1982-1983 with her series All Things Dark and Dangerous.  I've always really loved these figures and have had them on my pending list of stuff to paint, but finally got around to really painting them.  I painted each one in a different color because I wanted a bit of variety.  They did all start of though being covered by a good layer of Creamy Ivory (Reaper) and then I did washes on all that, and then afterwards chose the actual color and kept going.

Anyhow, hope you guys like these guys!

• By Silvervane
      I fell back to lurking of the forums again.  So starting this year I decided to get back to painting and posting.  Most of what I've done lately has been with gaming in mind.  I wanted to try out Frostgrave Perilous Dark Solo campaign, so I decided to dual task my painting.  I also wanted to play with a full group of painted figures for Zombicide Black Plague.  Since I have already finished up all the zombies and Necromancer for the core game.  Baldric looked like and excellent candidate for my Wizard.  (well him or my 2 Necro's I've already finished, Shh....).  I decided to try to keep as close to the box art as I could.  

Here is my Baldric.

Thanks for looking and any C&C you feel inspired to give.
    • By Maledrakh
      #48: Radagast the Brown

...and his best friend The Angry Inch.

Pallando, Radagast, Saruman, Gandalf, Alatar. The five Istari, or Maiar spirits, that were sent to Middle Earth in human form to counter the works of Sauron.

Bones 4 Core set, 2019, the Wizards subset
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Bobby Jackson
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      30mm bases
      should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future in Bones.
    • By Maledrakh
      #47: Alatar the Blue

...and his best friend Lil'Smaug.

Pallando, Radagast, Saruman, Gandalf, Alatar. The five Istari, or Maiar spirits, that were sent to Middle Earth in human form to counter the works of Sauron.

Bones 4 Core set, 2019, the Wizards subset
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Bobby Jackson
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      30mm bases
      should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future in Bones.
  • Who's Online   24 Members, 3 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)