Sign in to follow this  

I've started painting minis again, since this winter. I used to do some in my twentys but did not take the hobby seriously as i do now. For the last few months i've been furiously looking for my old models without success, until today! They are ral partha pewter models from the 1990's. I did not remember i had the rats , the neanderthal and the rhino, it was quite a surprise when i found them. The paint is chipped but i will remove it & redo'em.

The wizards and the storm giant were done without primer, had no idea i should do that back then. All the models were done without the use of a magnefying glass, wich i do now. It's interesting seeing one's past work from 20 years ago. I wonder if i should repaint my very first ones or keep'em as is?

This is a trip!

post-14038-0-40608500-1437426519_thumb.jpg

post-14038-0-28416600-1437426538_thumb.jpg

post-14038-0-19447600-1437426555_thumb.jpg

post-14038-0-24669700-1437426578_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

20 years is a long gap in between and it probably isn't worth keeping them painted "as is" for the sake of comparison and what not..especially if you're taking painting seriously now and weren't back then; your entire approach/attitude was different. Take a few mug shots and save those as comparison but salvage the miniatures and begin your new 'serious' painting journey in earnest with some figures you already know and love. 

• Like 2

Unless you really want to paint them, I say keep them as is. (I guess I disagree with Adrift :lol:). Most of the time, I have some new hotness I would rather paint than my old guys. So I have left mine painted as is. But if there was ever a day when I really wanted to paint them, I would strip them and paint anew!

• Like 2

Either the photos you have are enough, so afterwards you can strip and paint them, or get new copies. The druids and storm giant can still be purchased on line without any problem, don't know about the other ones.

someone else recently made the comment that you should keep the early stuff as is so down the road you can see how far you have come as a painter.

• Like 1

Hmmm.... So many different opinions on this. I kept wizards and the giant as is for now, the others have been soaking for two days, most of them were unfinished anyways. Even thought i did not do highlights then i really love my storm giant and the red wizard. Pictures are taken and i ever feel compelled to i' ll repaint them. I have enough on my plate for now i can wait. And the bones kickstarter in autumn will add plenty more to do.

Nice job and a similar story to my own.

I stopped painting around 1985 and started again in 2014 after finding some old figures while cleaning up storm damage

Now I have done about 25 reapers

5 old figures I finished, the rest I left as is. I replaced a few oldies on ebay.

They have a charm but they just cant touch todays Reaper designs. I do wish Reaper would use some of the old school poses

Edited by uber-stooge
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello guys!

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this and I don't think it's permissible to put links to other web sites, but just as some general information,  Thunderbolt Mountain Miniatures, that was a company that Tom Meier had founded quite a many years ago after leaving Ral Partha, are once again available, and being cast through a subsidiary company of Ral Partha, called Ral Partha Legacy.  They are working on releasing some classic Partha for their Chaos Wars game, other miniatures that were previously out of production, and of special note, miniatures from Thunderbolt Mountain.  At the moment on their site they have all their 32 mm elves, orcs and goblins, as well as their smaller 25mm Arthurians and a variety of other historical and fantasy miniatures.  Worth checking out, some very nice pieces out there! 
    • By 72moonglum
      Hi guys and gals, 

So just painted these two, which were pretty simple jobs being they didn't have too many things hanging off of them.  These are bugbears sculpted by Tom Meier, back in 1983.  I had always thought these were odd kind of figures, because my other concept of bugbears at the time were the Monster Manual version as well as the two Grenadier bugbears that were available at the time.  One of my future projects is to paint the Grenadier bugbears as well, plus some more recent Partha bugbears and I think I have somewhere the female bugbear by Reaper that I'd like to paint up.

Anyhoos, these guys have these huge eyes that I really didn't know what to do with.  I thought of one color and not put in any pupils, but then changed my mind.  Hopefully green eyes look okay.  

Anyhoos, enjoy!

• By 72moonglum
      So for those who celebrate such things, I hope you all had a really nice Thanksgiving as well as a beautiful Black Friday!

So I finished these a few days ago, but have kind of been a bit busy for posting.  They both have shields, but only one of them I had to worry about putting a "something" on the shield.  I didn't know exactly what to put on there, so ended up with a little green face with X'd out eyes. There was still space so painted a little triangle.  No great significance, just filling in some space.

Being I was painting them too both at the same time and in the effort of saving time I ended up painting their footwear equal colors, hopefully nobody will think the less of me for it.

These are two miniatures from Ral Partha, sculpted by Dennis Mize, that were part of their Ral Partha Imports range.   Partha originally was distributing some Citadel figures back in the eighties, but I think they either lost the rights to the miniatures or just decided to sculpt their own alternative versions.  In any case as a result, there are some Citadel figures that have a Partha version, mostly sculpted back then by Dennis Mize.  

I was watching too around last week Anne's Twitch channel in which she mentioned she actually does some painting or dry brushing of static grass and I mean to try it one of these days, just haven't quite figured out with it yet if it's just a bit of random dry brushing or if there would be a method to it.  It kind makes sense though.  I found out years ago that if you used sand or rocks on your bases, it looks a lot better if you painted them as well, as the rocks don't seem to check with the whole miniature and base being painted.  

So anyhoos, everybody enjoy your long weekend if you happen to have one, don't shop too much, and maintain some social distancing!

• By Mutilatedlips
      Wizards of the Coast D&D metal model.
      From the year Two-Thou-sand (you have to say it like Conan O'Brien)
      Rescued from the Island of Lost Pewture, (aka my friends rpg storage shed)  and painted up. I love his goggles, I don't think you see enough of those on wizard minis. I can see a fireball coming.

• By 72moonglum
      Hello to all the forumites of this fine page!

So just finished this set a few days ago, the Ral Partha Water Lords, sculpted by Jim Johnson I'm thinking in the nineties, even though as per always, I forgot to look at the date stamp at the bottom before I put them on their base.

I can really only directly show one of these minis, because the other two are ladies with their aquatic lady parts floundering all over, so here's the first one:

and here is then a link to the female aquatic elf:

Female aquatic elf from the Water Lords

If you were interested in seeing other angles (this is the one I put on the Lost Mini Wiki), you could check out on my Instagram account Moonglumsminis

And here is the Water Elemental in this set, a really cool piece in my opinion, but once again, full of even more mammal parts than the lady elf:

Water Elemental

Also on my Instagram page is the back angle of this wet and wonderful woman!

So it was very fun painting these guys, and I got to use a lot of my sea color paints from Reaper, which just don't get enough use these days.  For the elves, I wanted them to be kind of subdued colors, as if they were down in the deep blue sea, and then with the male elf's mount, I was kind of in a conundrum, do I also give him subdued colors, or do I do a more tropical color scheme to offset the pale elf colors?  In the end, I opted for the brighter tropical colors to give hopefully a bit more visual interest.  

The whites I think as the highlights for the water come off "whiter" in the actual minis, wish that would translate a bit more in the photos, but I think they came out more or less decently.  

Around this same time, Ral Partha also did some other "elemental" blister packs, they did a fire one, an air one, and an earth blister pack. They were all sculpted by Jim Johnson, one of the few sculptors I can never seem to find anything out about.  I'd previously painted a female djinn from the air set, but I think I'm going revisit them all to hopefully get them all done one of these days in the far-flung future.  And just as a final mention, you can get all of these elemental minis, the water ones and others, on the Iron Wind Metals web site.

Anyhoos, enjoy and have a beautiful week of labor and painting (labor as work, not a week full of pre-partum pain)!

Mark aka 72Moonglum
  • Who's Online   17 Members, 2 Anonymous, 60 Guests (See full list)