Sign in to follow this  
Ronora

77150: Ragnaros, Evil Warrior

Lookie! I actually got some work done on my second miniature! This guy was the other mini in the kit. (Mine only came with two, but Reaper totally fixed it and now I have skeletons!)

I didn't want him bright and shiny, so I played with mixing some blue-grey colors. So far, I've gotten through the base coat, a wash, and one round of dry brushing on the armor.

post-14352-0-67919700-1437430745.jpg

post-14352-0-10588700-1437430759.jpg

• Like 16

Pics are a bit small, but from what I can see it looks like it was excellently done. 

• Like 1

Okay, so I finally got kiddos to bed and put another layer of highlights on. I used a mix of the dragon blue and polished silver and am wondering...too blue? I still feel like it's missing something. Anyone have suggestions on where to go from here?

post-14352-0-36549200-1437452739_thumb.jpg

post-14352-0-41000700-1437452751_thumb.jpg

post-14352-0-93394200-1437452761_thumb.jpg

post-14352-0-54245500-1437452769_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

He's looking fantastic! Second mini you say? Dang. If you want to bring more silver out, you can do a glaze of straight silver over the top of it. Or you can dry brush a bit of the silver over it to hit the highest points. Use a crapoy brush you don't care about for dry brushing though. It'll kill a brush.

• Like 1

Second! (My other guy is the orc on the show off page.) I'm a little worried about making him too...sparkly with the armor. I wanted him to look you know, evil. I'll play with another round of dry brushing maybe.

Very nice both on 1st and second. I've recommended this to people when they first start, and I think it will work here. Hold your mini under a lamp in the direction you imagine the light coming from (over for most painters). Where you see the reflections of light, paint a highlight with a lighter color. Maybe mix in some silver into your blued armor. Just a suggestion.

• Like 2

Keep adding more silver to your mix and do another layer or two of highlights, with more silver and getting smaller and smaller, only in the spots where the brightest highlights would be. Don't worry about making his armor too shiny - even dull metal has pretty distinct highlights and shadows on it, and you can always tone it down with a wash or glaze later.

• Like 2

You might could try (test on his shield first maybe?), thinning out some pure black with water and apply.  It will wash the black paint over it, dulling it a tad. I darkened up some green and washed it over a leather brown basecoat on another figure, Arthal Nightblade.  Gave it a nice touch. really broke up the brown enough that it wasn't "bright" and gave it a decent camo look, or.. a decent green cloak with dirt on it. :)

• Like 1

Other folks have covered adding some drybrush and wash, two essential learning skills. Reason being, besides 'it looks cool', you will be learning how to control paint consistency and applying the extreme ends of paint (very dry and very wet).

I'd continue with Silvervane's conceptual comments and say think about how metal wears and ages, since you want a dirtier look. Corroded and oxidized metal that gets used will develop bare spots where it's rubbed or hit often. So the sword blade, shield edge, etc.

This is why drybrush works particularly well with this kind of project. After you get the highlights brushed and shadow washed, you can put in a few accent details of worn metal. Possibly after a VERY thin brown wash to give it some grime.

• Like 2

I made it through my daughter's ballet (Cinderella! She was a flower :) ) And now I can get back to some painting! Here is where I'm at on my warrior.

I've been doing some more dry brushing but haven't gone back with thinned paint/washed again yet.

post-14352-0-22347200-1438014949_thumb.jpg

post-14352-0-36848800-1438014967_thumb.jpg

• Like 3