YdjaoRE.jpg

Queen Ileosa, with a base made from countertop color matching samples. I figured, it's designed to look like marble / stone, so why not? I don't know whether to continue my sheer cloth attempt, or just give up and turn it back into red though, and I don't know what color to make her vest corset thing. Her back will be painted to look like peacock feathers. Yes, that is metallic blue in her hair. Perhaps too blatant. Should I tone it down?

vAWnCcs.jpg

A conversion of Hannah Blackruby from a sorceress to simply a noble lady, involving twisting her hand sideways and epoxying in the rod from Sheila Heidmarch's weapon sprue (which I wasn't going to use). I have to say, I was expecting her arm to snap off halfway through; I now have a newfound respect for JB Weld, and I'm using it a lot more now.

Her color scheme is more decided, and yes her gloves and coat lining will be white leather. I'm inclined to switch to a different color for her purse though; a white bag makes her right arm hard to read.

Critique, comments, suggestions?

• Like 15

I personally like the sheer effect on the first one. I can't wait to see how your peacock feathers come out. For her bodice what about purple with gold trim?

The second figure is very pretty as well. I like the colors and all of the little fiddly detailed bits. Can't wait to see how these come out!

Edited by Pochi
  • Like 1

I had a tough time with Ileosa, too, trying to figure out what layers and pieces of trim to accent. I studied a lot of other paint jobs of her.  IMO she looks best in a single color, with the bodice and skirt panels the same as the rest of the dress. In fact, if I had it to do over, I'd fill in that ugly gap in the front of her skirt.  I really like how the detail on the bodice is picked out in this image. It de-emphasizes the layers, and unifies the costume, but still retains the decorative detail. 

Hannah Blackruby had a ton of detail and took much longer than expected. But she is beautiful and yours is looking good. 

Blackruby is looking great.i think the sheer on the queen will work with a little smoothing-in paticular on her back side. One thing that is off is the "sheer" on the sleeves looks to be at the tops of the cloth folds which woul not show skin through, so you may want to look at that area.

cMQt8Vx.jpg

Looked at other paints (in particular DarkStar's beautiful rendition) of Blackruby to figure out what those hair things were (oh wait, those are fingerless gloves, not mold lines?), realized this was a pewter mini and thus my favorite enamel metallic paints were safe to use, went back and Old West Rose'd all her skin detail back in, borrowed my photographer brother's good camera to replace my cell phone, and did a lighting set up that wasn't slapped together in a minute.

I could spend more time painting rocks and cleaning up lines and blends and stuff... but I'm satisfied enough. Anything deal-breakingly stupid I forgot before I drop this in Show Off?

I just might submit this to the Inspiration Gallery too.

• Like 10

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      The parson from this four-figure set showed up in my recent post on the Salem Sisters. Let's ratchet several notches up the social scale for the other three. First, some Ladies at Court:

Or courtiers, or courtesans, it's not easy to draw the line in King Charles II's time.  Lots of flounces and furbelows, lots of gossip. 

"Of course the Barsteads have wealth piled upon wealth. It is said that the family were blaggards and privateers who got rich off of Spanish gold in Queen Bess's time"
      "Well, *I* heard that the Barstead fortune came from a devil's bargain! The coffers will never run empty as long as the Good Folk take the firstborn to pay the tithe to Hell!"

"Hm! The way the family carries on, it seems Old Scratch got the worse end of the deal, paying up for what would rightfully come his way in due time with no effort on his part."

And here is Lord Barstead himself. Rouged cheeks and mad eyes, definitely drunk and dissolute. The sort of person who would horsewhip the servants and call people "cack-handed slatterns." The kind who will squander the family inheritance on cards and drink. Maybe enclose the Commons later, on a whim, or start a tobacco plantation in the New World, or just sentence a peasant to hang for poaching. 

"...Very old family, the Barsteads. In the War of the Roses Sir Ranulf Barstead invented the Barstead sword. Why, back in the Conqueror's day half the nobility in this part of the realm were Barsteads. Demned upstart vagabonds these days, jumped-up weavers and tradesmen get a little money and start thinking of themselves as Peers? Why, it makes a Barstead's blood boil!"

"You DARE? Insolent whelp, I'll see you dead and damned at dawn! Pistols, or swords?"

• By Evilhalfling
      So when I unpacked this Big Boi in 2017  I thought he would look really cool without wings.  but I'm it will be a lot of careful work to carve off the joins and resculpt him,  I just don't think I'm ready.  In February I did the scales for my verocthulu conversion, and thought "I could have done that better."
      So this is better.  

This Dragon will be the colors or earth.   Burnt Umber base, and a hide scattered with Burnt Sienna, Tusk Ivory, and Leather Brown with ochre and NNM gold colors on the belly. 
      perhaps some cool gray or blue washes in the shadows.   The scales will be individually shaded, and the hide below staying the color of brown liner, or umber in the well lit areas. 

So far its been about 4 hrs of work in sculpting, cleaning, gluing and mold line removal.
      it took 45 min just to cover him in brown liner.  He is a really big dragon, and I have no idea how long this is going to take. 

but im getting a little obesessed - I don't want to schedule a meeting or go grocery shopping, I want to add more paint... 
      this feels like how I ended up with a dragon named Insomnia - who was painted almost entirely between 10pm and 7 am.   I kept waking up with new color ideas. 
      Or the DDS2 dragon who I spent 2-4 hours a day painting for a solid week, and another hour a night for the week after.  

The last picture is my inspiration for the scale colors - the eyes will be much simpler than this. 

• By Metalchaos
      Good day everyone, I will share here my progression on a project I wish to do for a long time. I already know all the parts I'll be using for this diorama. Starting with the carefree 03082 Ingrid sculpted by Derek Schubert (I'm converting her as a svirfneblin prospector), accompanied by her faithful familiar the 14453 hunting cat sculpted by Sandra Garrity. They are taken as prey by a 03602 stone lurker sculpted by Kevin Williams. I will also add a 02018 bat from the familiar pack 1 hanging somewhere on the rock wall. I already worked on Ingrid. I removed the base and give her a pickaxe. I made her tool with a paperclip and a piece of scrap metal. This all-project idea started with the gemstone she’s holding in her left hand.

• By Inarah
      This is a Patrick Keith sculpt  from the Warlord range and I have loved it since it came out years ago.  She would be a really cool player character, I don't know why we don't see her more often.  Great dynamic movement with this one.  Anyway, I threw some color on her, so maybe she'll end up on the table one day. 

• By bblythe84
      I painted her up as a fun project. Let me know what you think. 

I am trying to improve my painting abilities.

The purple marking on her thigh was supposed to be a skull tattoo, it didn't really work as well as I had hoped.

• Who's Online   5 Members, 1 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)