Hero Forge personalized figures July Resolution Challenge

korimar

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been holding off on purchasing any of the Hero Forge. I was wondering how they are as they seem a bit "grainy" to me when I have seen them in pictures. I also heard they are very fragile and parts can snap off easily. Am interested to hear feedback from anyone who has painted them. Also, do you seal them the same way? Sorry, not meaning to hijack your post.

Your figures look really nice. They look like a cohesive group. You always have to have the one show off caster with his bright clothes and fancy ideas though, right? lol I like the female figure and the touch of color on her sash.

• Like 1

Those look like the 'low-detail' ones. The 'high detail' are a little less grainy, but they take a lot of work and tlc to smooth out and really be acceptable to an industry standard. Can't wait for the tech to improve, we're very close to 3D printing being a legitimate contender in terms of quality.

• Like 3

Hero Forge offers two choices in figure materials: the higher cost, smoother, more detailed, brittle type, and the less expensive, rough/grainy, less detailed, stronger ones.  I tried the higher detail one first, on a figure of myself.  It arrived broken.  I glued it, reglued it, and reglued it again.  The damn thing is extremely fragile.  Washed it not only with soap and water, but also later with mineral spirits.  Using Reaper white brush on primer, it took so many coats before I could get any paint to stay, that the detail was completely covered.  Have not finished that figure due to frustration.

Went with the lower cost option on this group of figures.  I gave them to my group as a surprise.  These figures come very rough.  The paint actually helps smooth them out.  Without primer, they soak up paint like a literal sponge (they're porous).  It took a couple of coats of primer before paint would not soak in and spread out.

• Like 3

Yeah, I backed them on kickstarter and got the high-detail one, and my rapier broke off, and no amount of superglue would hold it on...I've been frustrated looking at it.

I may have to try the low-detail option.

• Like 1