Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crusader's pretty nifty. Personally, I think it has the best maneuver recovery mechanic of the three.

EDIT: As far as prestige classes go, Ruby Knight Vindicator is pretty cool, if you don't mind being a cleric of Wee Jas in your off time, and Eternal Blade isn't bad if you're an Elf. The rest of the ToB prestige classes can take a long walk off a short pier if you're a Crusader, though.

Prestige classes blow. Of course, that's just my subjective opinion based on trying to find a bard prestige class that actually makes a bard that still remains a bard a better swashbuckler, rather than a better mage (which is Sublime Chord and the like do). It might well be there's decent prestige classes for almost everything else, but I guess the exceedingly obvious idea of stylish swashbuckler bards completely eluded WotC staff. 

Good thing then I found some bardic bard options that make a bardic bard so much more in line with my character concept.

"How did this come to pass?

This one was with its brethren, raiding the Prime. This one's raiding party was Seeking a lost Silver Sword. This one was wounded, slowed. Then there was Mist, thick, heavy Mist. Mist was all this one could see. This one became separated from its raiding party. This one wandered for a time, then there was this Place. This Place is not the Prime. The core of this one's Being knows it, but this one cannot determine the interplanar coordinates of this Place. This Place is Mystery. This Place is Emptiness. This one is Alone. This one has no choice but to continue the Mission, Alone.

The missing Silver Sword must be found. This one must Seek the Silver Sword.

This one will find it. This one was brought to this Place for a Reason."

Tall and rail-thin, Ifrith Zuriith-movya is nearly a typical Githyanki. With striking orange eyes, and a pink-dyed mohawk, Ifrith Zuriith-movya stands out from the rest of the raiding party. Ifrith Zuriith-movya dresses in heavy robes that conceal Ifrith Zuriith-movya's entire body, from neck to ankles, with soft-soled brown boots peeking out from beneath the robes. Ifrith Zuriith-movya carries a heavy greatsword, and many are surprised that Ifrith Zuriith-movya can even lift it, let alone swing it. Ifrith Zuriith-movya speaks softly, in a barely audible throaty whisper. No one really knows whether Ifrith Zuriith-movya is male or female, but then again, it's hard to tell what sex any Githyanki is.

• Like 2

"You hum it, I'll play it

I sing of the sun and the moon, romance and gloom, despair, joy and doom, but what I'd really prefer to do is talk about you.

It's a living, travelling from place to place your world in your backpack, but my feet could do with a good soak and my back needs a week in bed. A horse? Well naturally I'd like to own one again, but they're expensive and my money pouch isn't bulging, besides they attract all sorts of beasts out in the wild. My old pony Doris, well she was taken by dire wolves six months back, poor old girl.

So now I walk from town to town my piccolo and flute ever at the ready. So that cloak clasp you wear, I have seen that before somewhere haven't I? A temple to Bath Alor in Moorsdum if I remember correctly.

Oh really? Well tell me more...."

Bertin Henfrey stands slightly taller than the average human, his features are sharp and pronounced, his eyes almond shaped suggesting a trace of elven blood in his ancestry. Long brown hair falls from under his peaked foraging cap  tied in a rudimentary braid. A long oiled cape covers the majority of his body and a sizeable doeskin pack  The tip of a sword scabbard slaps against his left calf. 

There is little that is menacing about this man, his demeanor shifts from world weary to intent in the blink of an eye.

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 2

I'll take until the weekend I think. Trying to make a mess that's not a completely useless mess, after all.

It did occur to me today that given the backstory, maybe you want to take whatever chunk of my starting gold you feel like and assign "salvaged" items you think could be fun?

• Like 1

I'll take until the weekend I think. Trying to make a mess that's not a completely useless mess, after all.

It did occur to me today that given the backstory, maybe you want to take whatever chunk of my starting gold you feel like and assign "salvaged" items you think could be fun?

If you can find some old The Dragon magazines (from back in the TSR days), there is the Bazaar of the Bizarre series of articles. Interesting stuff in there that you may have salvaged. Very. Interesting.

All I really need is an Oversized Foppish Pirate Hat of Fancyful Fencing, an Eyepatch of the Ravishing Rascal, a Mechanical Parrot of Candid Cussing and of course an Amber Amulet of Ample Alliteration.

I don't think they covered even one of them...

• Like 1

Just to keep us all on the same page: davor has asked what the pantheon is.  I'm using the Greyhawk (I think) standard pantheon.  It is as follows:

Greater deities

• Boccob, god of magic, arcane knowledge, balance and foresight.
  • Corellon Larethian, god of elves, magic, music, and arts. (also a demihuman power)
  • Garl Glittergold, god of gnomes, humor, and gemcutting (also a demihuman power)
  • Gruumsh, god of orcs (also a monster power)
  • Moradin, god of dwarves (also a demihuman power)
  • Nerull, god of death, darkness, murder and the underworld.
  • Pelor, god of sun, light, strength and healing. More humans worship Pelor than any other deity.
  • Yondalla, goddess of halflings (also a demihuman power)

Intermediate deities

• Ehlonna, goddess of forests, woodlands, flora & fauna, and fertility.
  • Erythnul, god of hate, envy, malice, panic, ugliness, and slaughter.
  • Fharlanghn, god of horizons, distance, travel, and roads.
  • Heironeous, god of chivalry, justice, honor, war, daring, and valor.
  • Hextor, god of war, discord, massacres, conflict, fitness, and tyranny.
  • Kord, god of athletics, sports, brawling, strength, and courage.
  • Obad-Hai, god of nature, freedom, hunting, and beasts.
  • Olidammara, god of music, revels, wine, rogues, humor, and tricks.
  • Saint Cuthbert, god of common sense, wisdom, zeal, honesty, truth, and discipline.
  • Wee Jas, goddess of magic, death, vanity, and law

Lesser deities

• Vecna, god of destructive and evil secrets.

As I've told at least a few, your character can be a follower of whom/whatever you wish, but these will be the world standard.

EDIT: Arkady, I like that idea, and I'll send you a list.  Rex, do you have a link to your character sheet?  Everyone else, I'll do my best to have characters rolled up and papers shuffled by the end of the weekend, and hopefully we can start early next week!  Really looking forward to this!

Edited by KoiPwned

I'm using the Greyhawk (I think) standard pantheon.  It is as follows:

I can dig up the rest and post them here if you want. I have the original Greyhawk books, and there are more deities than that. None of any real significance, though. WotC kept the main ones, and decided we didn't need the rest.

EDIT: Okay, maybe they didn't, if you have the Living Greyhawk stuff. They're all still there, just not in the PHB.

Really looking forward to this!

Same here.

• Like 1