Anybody else reinforce their clothing seams before wearing them?

scorpio616

Was going to ask this in weight loss since it is a related issue, but it's separate enough for it's own thread. Anybody else reinforce their clothing seams before wearing them? I've grown very tired of every pair of non denim pants I wear tearing asunder, either in the rear or just below the zipper at the first quick movement I make. If the stores are going to charge extra for larger sizes, you'd think maybe they'd upgrade the thread. But since that ain't happening, I've been using upholstery thread as insurance on my pants.

• Like 2

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn Pingo!  Is there anything you can't do?

I've thought about sewing clothes... but its kinda scary!

Sewing modern 20th century menswear is a bit of a nightmare. There's lots of complicated fiddly bits and tucking. I made a pair of overalls for a Wreck-It-Ralph costume, and it was a lot harder than my velvet Elizabethan Jerkin.

• Like 1

Even denim isn't what it used to be.  My jeans are blowing out at the knee after maybe a year of wear now, and I am mostly an indoor person who doesn't do anything strenuous. 

Sewing isn't scary. A sewing machine is a tool and not all that hard to figure out or use for basic sewing. Give it a try with something basic like a pair of pull-on lounge (sleep) pants. 

• Like 2

No, I haven't but that's a great idea. What annoys me is when you get those small holes that you don't realize are there until someone points them out. Also, sewing isn't scary, well, after you get the hang of it, start small, and good fabric is always worth it! 

Edited by Tarsemina
  • Like 2

Clothes are definitely much more shoddily made now.

I remember examining that last pair of commercially-made trousers we bought. They had thin, fragile fabric and thin, fragile thread sewn with about four stitches to the inch.

Comparing labels, the manufacturer had apparently just moved operations to Bangladesh.

Now I buy good black denim by the bolt and make a couple of pairs of pants as needed (sewing two pair is only slightly more work than sewing one, helps me remember the fiddly bits of zippers and flies, and seems to have a more relaxing rhythm).

• Like 4

Drawstring pajama-type pants are a good place to start learning. And there are really cute printed cottons aimed at the quilting crowd with all sorts of motifs from pirates to dragons to sci fi to manga.

• Like 5

I'm not substantially overweight, and I still wreck pants at an alarming rate. The fabric and stitching is noticeably garbage, even to my untrained eye.

I would willingly pay more for better, but options are limited here in the sticks, and online has whiskers on it, since paying triple or even adding a zero doesn't guarantee you'll get any better.

• Like 1