CGNefarious' Orc and Armor WIP

So I started by priming both the Orc and the guy in armor from the L2PK. For the Orc I added one drop of water to the Brown Liner. For the guy in armor I added two. The Orc's primer layer was obviously thicker and darker, but the thinner coat for the guy in armor made it much easier for the paint to get into all the recesses. I think I prefer that, though I'll have to wait until I'm finished painting both to be sure.

post-14297-0-21189100-1437520746_thumb.jpgpost-14297-0-47275800-1437520754_thumb.jpg

post-14297-0-79162700-1437520761_thumb.jpgpost-14297-0-55454200-1437520768_thumb.jpg

After that I painted the skin using Viper Green and mixing it with one drop of Brown Liner (I think? Maybe it was Pure Black). I was worried that I had gone too dark, but decided to wait and see how much the highlights would lighten it up.

post-14297-0-01756700-1437520776_thumb.jpgpost-14297-0-91748600-1437520782_thumb.jpg

Adding the highlights of pure Viper Green did help, though it is still slightly darker than I was shooting for. Either way, it was good enough that I didn't feel the need to start over.

post-14297-0-97297500-1437520788_thumb.jpgpost-14297-0-25073700-1437520796_thumb.jpg

The next thing I painted was the pelt. I started with a mix of Dirty Bone and Shadowed Stone as the guide suggests. I then immediately jumped to wash it without really letting the paint dry. Because the paint wasn't dry the wash seemed to remove a lot of the base color, which made it look absolutely terrible. I decided to let it all dry and redo the pelt. Lesson learned. Unfortunately I didn't take any other pictures until I was done for the day.

Since I was starting over on the pelt I decided to add some Leather Brown to the mix. I liked the color a bit better overall. I washed it with Brown Liner (I think) and drybrushed it with a lighter version of the brown mix. The drybrush seemed to cover a lot of the wash, so I think next time I might do the drybrushing before the wash. I'll probably go over it with another wash anyway, as I don't like how it looks right now.

Then I did the chainmail, which was the simplest part so far. Pure Black as a base. Honed Steel for drybrushing. Turned out alright to my eyes.

Then I moved onto the leather, where things both started getting sloppy and crawled to a halt. I took me forever to get what little done that I did. I was trying so hard to keep from painting over areas I'd already painted and I still messed up. I guess that's something I'll just get better at with practice. I quit for the night after that. I still need to add texture to the leather, but hopefully that won't be as difficult.

post-14297-0-83662800-1437520801_thumb.jpgpost-14297-0-92767900-1437520808_thumb.jpg

After that I'll probably move onto the sword handle, followed by the sword blade and armor spikes, then the face, and lastly the base. With luck this figure will turn out alright.

Any critique on what I've done so far or on my methods? Any advice or things I should consider going forward on this piece? It's a practice piece, and I don't know if I'll ever use it at the table, but I'd like for it to look nice enough that I can.

Also, is this the correct place for me to be posting this? I figured it was more advice and less showing off, but I'm new to these forums and want to make sure.

• Like 4

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can start a work-in-progress thread if you want to, but this should be fine for now.

It's okay if you accidentally get some paint on areas you've already painted - half the work of painting a mini is going back and adjusting things that didn't turn out quite right and covering up mistakes...

Re: dry-brushing... It's all about the pressure. You only need to press hard enough for the paint to come off the brush, which is basically not pressing at all. And make sure you're fully using the side of the brush and not the tips of the bristles, which means holding it at a very shallow angle. You'll want to practice a bit to get used to just how much paint to leave on the brush - unless the paint is coming off the brush very chalky and uneven (in which case you have too little paint on it), you should only have enough so that it doesn't quite look completely dry.

You seem to be doing fine. One tip, based on your story: wet paint always looks brighter than dry paint, so if your highlight looks right when wet you will be disappointed when it is dry. Sad thing is you can only learn by experience how much too bright the wet paint has to look. I sometimes experiment on he underside of another mini, see how it dries and then decide if it is the right color, before applying it to my mini. Problem is, the color of the layer below may also influence the final look.

So far, I like your color scheme (my orcs are never green, but that is another matter entirely).

Good, I'm glad you're seeing early on that thinner layers of paint are better. That can be a stumbling block for a lot of people, myself included.

As a big fan of drybrushing, I just want to be absolute certain that you're not using a good brush for it! You will mangle a brush with drybrushing - and honestly, the more mangled it becomes, the better it is for the drybrushing. My drybrushing brush is a sad little thing and I absolutely adore it. Also make sure that you are getting as much paint off of the brush as possible before you put it back on the mini. It will seem counterintuitive, but trust me, drybrushing layers should be built up slowly.