The Stonehaven Half-Orc Kickstarter fulfilled recently.

The figures were really inspiring, and I have a use for several of them already.  I'm in a campaign in a steampunkish world with many different races.

Anyhow, these are the four half-orcs I'm painting up for it: the Gentleman, the Librarian, the Artificer, and the Pistoleer (not sure if those are official names for them).

I have glued them to their bases, primed them white, and washed over them with Burnt Umber.  I've loosely shaded in their faces with a grey mixed from Burnt Sienna and Phthalo Green and white, but I haven't added any facial details yet.

post-8022-0-61788900-1437586140.jpg

post-8022-0-21324200-1437586149.jpg

The gentleman would of course be wearing gloves, so I haven't painted his hands yet.  The Pistoleer probably would too, but I felt like painting her hands anyway.  The Artificer appears to have bare toes sticking out of his exo-suit, or whatever it is.

• Like 20
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I'm kind of slow.

Anyway, faces!

I laid in color on their hair, all of which is some variation of greeney-brown.

post-8022-0-47581000-1438379809.jpg

Then I painted their faces, using mixes of Phthalo Green and Burnt Sienna, with a little Phthalo Green and Burnt Umber for the really darks.  Everything here is mixes of those, except for tiny black dots for their pupils and a breath of Yellow Ochre mixed into their tusks.

The gentleman looks better from the sides than the front.  I think I inadvertently gave him a duelling scar.

post-8022-0-85015400-1438379912.jpg post-8022-0-94890700-1438379918.jpg post-8022-0-32005500-1438379925.jpg

The librarian.  I like how she looks incognito.

post-8022-0-50151900-1438379958.jpg

The artificer.

post-8022-0-47578500-1438379988.jpg post-8022-0-15995200-1438379993.jpg

The pistoleer.  Their faces are kind of flat, but they look interesting, I think.

post-8022-0-39580500-1438380032.jpg post-8022-0-21076300-1438380040.jpg

Looking at them blown up large, I may fix the eyes a bit.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 14

I've started painting their clothing (in various shades of brown and red so far).  There's not much shading yet.  Many of the browns are just translucent washes as I'm playing around with color.  The red is a seriously toned down Red Iron Oxide, darkened to an old blood color.

I may use that red for leather.

I think I am going to paint the nobleman in pale fawns and greys rather than the standard Victorian black.  And I think I am going to paint up the pistoleer's hands as gloves after all.

post-8022-0-23172200-1438620860.jpg

post-8022-0-15817500-1438620865.jpg

post-8022-0-51746500-1438620870.jpg

post-8022-0-36362100-1438620877.jpg

• Like 11

As a part of my project to keep people guessing, I mixed up some deep intense transparent purple out of Phthalo Green and Quinacridone Magenta (Try it yourself -- Not only does it work, you can get a blue unlike anything you can find otherwise.) and washed it over the figure's clothes.

Not only does it make the details pop even more, it begins to add more color harmonics.

post-8022-0-68475600-1440515431.jpg

post-8022-0-79336300-1440515436.jpg

post-8022-0-39265000-1440515442.jpg

post-8022-0-29407000-1440515447.jpg

Then I tried something which I've done a lot in my panel paintings, but not so much on minis so far.

I mixed a highlight color, a sort of opaque warm pale cream-banana yellow-white out of Yellow Oxide (= Mars Yellow = Yellow Ochre = Yellow Iron Oxide = Reaper's "Palomino Gold") and Titanium White, fairly thick, not thinned down at all.

Then I washed the transparent purple over an entire figure (well, not the faces since I've done those already), and while it remained wet, took a small brush of the yellow highlight and blended highlights down into midtones and shadows.

You have to work fast to do this in acrylics.  The highlight / blending brush needs to be cleaned frequently.  It's really more of an oil technique.  But if you can manage it, you can get really nicely blended colors.  The thing that makes it work is to use a totally transparent shadow color and a reasonably opaque highlight color which are different, possibly even opposite colors.  Doing that, layering with different shadow colors, you can build up tremendous depth of color without too much thick paint.

Anyhow, here is the Gentleman Half-Orc after I did this.  For obvious reasons there are no in-progress photos.

post-8022-0-10578900-1440515785.jpg post-8022-0-86483600-1440515796.jpg

Here's the Librarian Half-Orc with a before-washing and after-the-whole-thing comparison.  For her I used a little more Phthalo Green in the purple mix, which made the shadows bluer and more neutral.

post-8022-0-34840000-1440515804.jpg post-8022-0-43037700-1440515813.jpg

post-8022-0-15877200-1440515819.jpg

I'm not sure if this technique will work with what I already have on the Pistoleer and the Gadgeteer.  The Pistoleer has a lot of fine details and I've already painted her coat lining reddish.  I suppose if I were willing to assay illusionistic metals on the Gadgeteer it might be worth trying.

Here are comparison shots of the two I used this technique on so you can see how varied the purple mix can be and how much a grisaille.

post-8022-0-77120800-1440515824.jpg

post-8022-0-59083100-1440515830_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Iridil
      This fellow has been lurking at the bottom of a drawer or box for over 30 years.... I finally painted him up. It was actually a bit irritating somehow... I guess that's why he sat in nothing more than a coat of primer and a red shield for so long! Not sure the maker, maybe citadel? He is on a metal part for the slot base that helpfully says 'orc'. All this time later, I love him just for nostalgia and remembering my dad painting up all those orcs... and we never used the minis in play!

• By aku-chan
      Presenting the Swamp Orc Standard Bearer, he's part of one of the newer factions in Games Workshop's Age of Sigmar range.

Really happy with this one and I had a lot of fun painting all his chunky detailing!

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
    • By Crystocracy
      Before the known ages, the ancient gods, who were traveling through time and space, between galaxies and systems, between planets and moons, finally reached this small blue planet and its light gray moon. Millions of years ago, searching for the force on the dark side of this moon, they found the crystals that emitted enormous energy.

They took it with them and returned to the blue planet. With the use of the power from other dimensions they try to warp the crystal and use it for their own dark plans.
      It quickly turned out that the crystal emitted too much power, a power that did not harmonize with the forces of the Ancient One. The symbiosis caused conflict and damage to the ancients. The warped crystal had been abandoned by them here... and for millions of years, it had lain, covered by layers of earth and sand in the darkness and silence...

Hi.
      Greetings from Andrzej (Ater), Jakub (MiniaturesArtTeam), and Pawel  (PJG_sculptor). For some time we were working together on something on the side which finally became a big miniature project. We plan to put it together in a board-battle game!

But let's take small steps and start gently. In our first project, we want to offer you some miniatures from the world which were shown to us in the dreams by one guy, who calls himself Cthulhu (we know... it is quite weird, but the dreams were really cool).

Inspired by these visions, we create a new universe in the dark, steampunk/dieselpunk climate. Now we want to show you our project and we cordially invite you not only to participate in the project itself but also to create it. Please, share your thoughts and opinions with us! Please come closer, sit down and hear a story about the Crystocracy.

Instagram
      Facebook

Kickstarter

• By R2ED
      Using the long weekend to my advantage, I got a decent paint in on this guy.  Meet Gronk.

BATTLE REPORT!

Trying to do a more comic-style paint job, I did less wash and more highlights with bold color. 

Wins:
      *  The two-toned leathers look fun and eye catching where they need to be.  
      *  Staying to as simple color-scheme as possible helped me draw this one to a close.  (Brown, Orange, Green, ivory, red)
      *  The eyes came out really good and I finally managed one of those little reflective white dots in the corner of the right eye.  
      *  Opting to not color-up every single ribbon or fold as a new color and simply stick to the simple palette helped me keep pushing forward.
      *  The shield came out great!  If you look close on the edges and near the dents, there's small orange highlights that are really faint.  Probably my favorite small thing on this model.  

Misses:
      *  Not digging his green skin highlights.  Did a Green base, then ink wash, then went back over with same green, then brought up by adding white. Placement of the highlights is off as well as not understanding light.  Crux for me. 
      *  Metal sword over all has a good look to it.  Can't seem to use the Vallejo Metals for edge highlighting.  Too runny.  Need to swap to regular metal paints and use edge of brush.  Love the Metals, but they are so thin and spread so quickly. 
      *  Struggled with doing boots.  I want to darken them, but using black just seems too easy.  When they are super dark, I can't figure out how to bring the color up.  Lame.
      *  On the dino skull on his shoulder something bad happened.  I went over it with bone color like 3 times to make sure it was thick enough.  Then did a wash to bring out the dips and dirty it up a little, but I guess pulled up the bone color before it dried - even though it was sitting for 15 or more minutes before I hit it.  That sucked.  Fixable, but not sure why I hate that color so much.
      *  Learning how to be 'subtle' is something I need to develop.  It's almost like I'm needing to see big swings in the color to make  my eye train to it being different, but the reality is subtle would be better.

• By Glitterwolf
      Design Vehicle and Crew: Titanforge
      Design: Fleeing Vampire in Front : Arch Villain Games
      Design Hanging Corpse : Printed Obsession
      Design Church Ruins: Printed Obsession
      Fleeing Winged Vampire : Reaper Bones Vorvorlake SKU 50329
      Graveyard Fence Part : Reaper
      Tombstones /Barrels/Books/ Weapons: Various.

Printed on Elegoo Mars in Resin.

Part of my Project Children of the Night.
      WIP HERE:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79298-children-of-the-night-by-glitterwolf/page/17/

Vampires roam the land, but fear not, there are those who dedicated their lives to exterminate them.
      Here we can see how Ernst Holtz and his crew hunt down the evil creatures who were hiding in an abandoned cemetary.
      Once nobles and commoners alike donated money to the Order of the Vampire Hunters, but since the Baron's son and his wife ruled the Barony the order was mocked.
      People no longer believed in the supernatural.
      Ernst suspected the Baron's son and his wife to be behind it but he couldn't prove it yet.
      When he heard rumours of vampires in the area he assembled his crew and took out the now rusty Dampfhammer.
      He would show them!
      He would capture one of those vile creatures and show it to the people, they would believe again!
      Once more the vile Undead would flee before him!
      And maybe he could find out why the Baron's son and his wife wanted to get rid of the Order..

• Who's Online   21 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)