Arthal Nightblade 03568 (2nd times better right?)

mrjones

So when I picked up the LTPK, I also ordered this guy. I have an affinity to rangers, altho by old school rules, my rangers would lose their "good ranger" status and be labeled a fighter..  Anyhow; Officially I painted the skeleton archer 2nd (making Arthal #3), but the skeleton was just so... primitive, I think I spent about 10 minutes on it at the most.

Arthal was a pain for me.. Especially around the quiver. Half his face was distorted (thankfully the blindside), dunno if it was a production error for a metal mini or what. I was a little disappointed, but its not terribly noticed unless you look specifically at it head on. 

At first, I wanted to give him a nice bright white cloak with some goldish color trim work. Well the white paint didn't apply like I wanted, it kept revealing the start and end of brush strokes presenting a blotchy appearance. I may order another down the road just to continue practicing on.

I instead opted for a darker, more 'cloak of the bat' feel. The tunic is based in leather brown, with a wash made of viper green mixed with either some pure black & harvest brown to tone the green down, or with 1 or the other.. I forget.  I know now why its good to keep a journal of mixtures.  :;):

Notes: 

in some spots it looks like white is coming through in spots.. it does not look that way in person.

The front of the cloak has highlights on the layers, I did tone it down.

Touched up the face & ear 

Top of the bow was corrected.

And the right side of the belt pouch also was touched up. 

Scout's honor.  ::D:

post-14341-0-95901200-1437629510.jpg

post-14341-0-98060300-1437629518.jpg

post-14341-0-52700600-1437629559.jpg

post-14341-0-84896700-1437629616.jpg

• Like 18

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White can be a tough color to get an even coat on.  It often requires more than one coat, particularly when thinned.

As for the face, from what I can make out in the small picture, it seems like he has a mold line or some flash running across it - from what I can see in the pics, it looks like the mold line runs along the top of his left arm and up over the face. Usually that can be fixed with a little careful knife work and a sanding needle, although sometimes it requires you to use a little bit of epoxy putty to resculpt some of the details.