Sign in to follow this  
Werewolvians

Cinder Bones leaning.

I painted my Cinder dragon a few months ago. Recently I realized that he's leaning over much more than he was before. ::(: Those heavy wings are pulling him down. Anyone have this problem and fix it creatively?

I think he meant the wings were pulling the whole dragon down.

I have seen others on the forum mention using thick wire through the legs. Years ago I remember doing somethin similar with a pewter miniature. I used coat hangar wire...no problems.

I haven't started work on my Cinder so I would like to see some pics so I know what to expect/plan for.

Kind of too late to try that. I'll have to make something subtle to brace him and prevent him sagging anymore.

I'll take a pic when I get home, but basically he's basically already leaning as molded, just now his head is a lot closer to the ground then it was.

Exactly where is he bending? And do you have rocks/grass/etc on his base?  If it's at one of the joints in the lower legs or at his ankles and you don't have all kinds of grass and such on his base, you can boil him very briefly so it doesn't mess up the paint, then set him back to his regular position before drilling holes for pins in his legs.

Since it's the forward lean that seems to be the issue with these guys, I'm going to try a new experiment soon when Bones kickstarter stops eating all my money.  I'm going to buy a fresh Deathsleet in Bones and I'm also going to buy metal Deathsleet's tail from the boneyard.  Then graft the new bionic tail on in place of the Bones one.  This will raise Sleet's price in total to about $24-25 (the metal tail being about $4), but if my theory is correct his new bionic tail should counterbalance the wings nicely.  If it works, Sleets and pals might be more stable and still altogether a lot cheaper than their full metal versions. 

• Like 7

I had this problem with Deathsleet, and fixed it by pinning his tail to the base.  With three pin points, he doesn't lean.  I don't know if Cinder's tail is low enough to pull this off.

I think he meant the wings were pulling the whole dragon down.

I have seen others on the forum mention using thick wire through the legs. Years ago I remember doing somethin similar with a pewter miniature. I used coat hangar wire...no problems.

I haven't started work on my Cinder so I would like to see some pics so I know what to expect/plan for.

Ah. I misread. As Jack said, it depends which part of the model is weak; that's the part that will need fixing first. Looking at the model kit I would guess it's the feet; if the feet are pulling away from the base then I would pin the feet into the ankles. Pinning is easy with plastics.

If the model is being mounted onto a plastic (or wooden) base I would also fix the scenic base onto the mounting base with a screw and cover it over with a bit of sand or putty.

Wow, looks like cinder had a few too many.

I think pinninng through the ankle might help. I'd need to see the other leg too but the first joint might have bent a bit too. If that is the case either extensive leg surgery is needed (ie bent wire run through the joint to reinforce it) or finding a third point of contact. Maybe a tree in the right foreclaw might disrupt the effect the least. Flock the base o the tree to show dirt and roots and viola, giants aren't the only tree-throwers.

I will ponder this some more and look at mine for other suggestions.

• Like 1

If anything a wire though his body in-between his legs would help with stability. It may not look the best but he would have more support.

All these issues with leaning kinda makes me wish I still had the metal versions. (traded mine in @ Rcon for other minis & then just bought Bones)

I personally would trying to pin him. I pinned terminalmancer's jabberwok a few months ago and it hasn't fallen back over. And bones are really easy to drill. Use something, like an exacto knife, to indent where your hole goes, so your drill bit doesn't slide when you start. Reaper's plastic bases are pretty easy to drill too.

I would straighten out the leg as much as can and brace him on something, so he stays in position (I've heard bubble wrap, w/ bubble side toward mini, is good for avoid paint damage). If possible get the knee straighten out to line up with the bottom of the leg, so you can get the pin up through there too. Then drill up through the bottom of the base. After you get the pin in, you can bend his leg back into shape. If the paint gets messed up, he shouldn't be too hard to touch up if you remember or can match the colors.

If you can't get it into through the knee they may not be enough support, so if falls back over, drill through the knee or the lower joint (which ever is easier to patch), and then pin that making sure that the pin over laps with the earlier pin on hopes that they can together help you get that joint to hold. I ended up doing this to the Jabberwock as I didn't think of straightening out his leg. It doesn't hold up as well as putting the pin all the way through, but the jabberwock looks much better than it did, even if it doesn't look perfect. Note: Liquitex Flexible Modeling Paste, Golden's Modeling Paste, and I think Liquid Green Stuff all work well for patching bones.

• Like 1