Sign in to follow this  
darkfluid

The large demand for buildings and dungeon dressings

As Mad Jack stated, economics is a big reason I'm loving the terrain on this KS. Reaper also heard a lot of calls for more terrain after releasing DDS2 during Bones 2. The most economical terrain on the market right now is probably laser-cut MDF, but that is all hard right angles (you know, because it's wood). Bones terrain is much better looking, and significantly cheaper during this KS than anything else out there.

• Like 6

I probably won't use the buildings for much of anything, but they are pretty neat, and appeal to the model-builder/diorama-maker in me (I haven't built a good model plane or ship in over 25 years, I kind of miss it - it was a very relaxing hobby).

As someone else mentioned above, the furniture is going to end up seeing some use in my occasional Heroquest games, as well as on the RPG table from time to time - like the other miniatures, it's great for visualization and immersion.  Besides, the furniture is always fun to paint, too :)

I'll certainly be using the arsenal packs for customizing the miniatures - Bones is a great material to work with in making conversions and custom minis, and I'm glad to see the weapons and stuff to support this kind of work.  I'm rather surprised and puzzled there's such a large number of Bones customers who are happy to buy dozens or hundreds of inexpensive minis and paint them, but have no interest in doing any customization work on them (weapon swaps are one of the easiest and most basic conversions I can think of to start with!)

• Like 6

I like the visual splendor of a table full of terrain and minis, whether large scale wargaming, skirmish gaming, or RPGing, having a good looking table is simply something I enjoy.

I'm not saying I always have used terrain and buildings in every group or even every game, but I like having the option of having it available if the opportunity to use it presents itself.

I do tend to draw the line when the dungeon dressing gets too fiddly. For example I find that tables are useful for showing character placement in something like a tavern or an inn, while chairs simply get in the way so I don't use them.

Also. People talking about the Garden of Morr crypt set by GW caused a bell to ring for me. Sure enough. Some digging through my mountain of unstarted projects turned up the box.

Won't stop me from getting Reapers set though, cause, y'know, more terrain yay!

• Like 8

My only wish ...to live long enough in good enough health to paint them all.

At this rate I need to become 225 years old, and Bones III isn't counted in yet.

• Like 7

Excellent post, Mad Jack.

Like a lot of others have mentioned, it's affordable, which is a huge plus as far as I'm concerned. It's also very durable, which is another big plus.  It works great for diorama builders, it'll look good on a wargaming table, and it's also perfect for skirmish games (Like Warlord). Yes, skirmish games are kinda sorta the same as wargaming, but not really. You generally need only a small fraction of the number of figures that you would for a wargame. Skirmish gaming generally requires less space as well.The stuff in the graveyard expansion would be perfect for setting up as skirmish terrain. In my opinion, that pack plus a few trees and/or rocks would be just about all you'd need to set up a pretty cool graveyard skirmish table.

I hope that it does exceptionally well; I'd like to see Reaper put out some more stuff like this from time to time.

• Like 3

I'm lukewarm about the buildings and dungeon dressing being produced.  Generally, if I need that sort of thing for my games (which I rarely do simply in the interest of table space) I just build it myself.  I guess having the stuff mass produced does have the advantage of convenience - especially for those who haven't got a lot of modelling skills - but I can't see myself running out to buy a pile of it.  To each his own.

The Egg

• Like 1

Terrain's easy to paint! Slap on some greyscale with the craft paints, then wash with Secret Weapon Washes stone or concrete.

Not sure what I should do about the ground, since I could use this piece in a dungeon!

pic2463065_md.jpg

• Like 4

Terrain's easy to paint! Slap on some greyscale with the craft paints, then wash with Secret Weapon Washes stone or concrete.

Not sure what I should do about the ground, since I could use this piece in a dungeon!

pic2463065_md.jpg

Some older dungeon floor might get cracked by roots, and then moss, fungi and such creep in, so no problem adding some vegetation to a dungeon floor.

• Like 4

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  

I just wanted to reiterate...as it may have not been clear enough in my original novel of a post, that I am not complaining or taking a negative tone here.  I'm applauding reaper for the listening to the audience, providing the requested stuff, be it terrain and dressings, or Lovecraft and Hobgoblins.  I'm truly seeking understand and maybe trying to see things in a new light.  Of course, then again, no matter what you do there will be some people who, rather than giving positive feedback, will always say "no one is making you buy it" "don't buy it if you don't like it".

I think the dollars and cents argument is a valid one.  The thing I didn't think about is the larger amount of skirmish gaming going on now...terrain that is all but worthless in a full on 40k game would be awesome for a skirmish.  

I don't think I got 100% of what I was looking for...and honestly that may be impossible to get the full picture.  There seem to be lots of contributing factors...many seem focused on why people would buy it once it's in the KS, but doesn't add up for me to completely explain the pre-KS demand for it.  Maybe it's just the fact that people are really liking the dressings and using them more these days.  I could just be out of touch in that regard...or set in may ways.  I could give the dwarven forge stuff and the additional dressings another shot in my games.  The Crypt fencing would be awesome if it stands up well...maybe with a bit of weight added to the bottom.

I do think that...as always, who you play with makes a big difference in what's required to get their creative juices flowing.  What may help one group hurts another (I find putting out a crypt seems to lock their imagination on the physical thing...my guys stop filling in with their imagination...other groups I've played with would probably need something like that to get them going).  And maybe there is a much larger group of people out there doing show pieces or dioramas than I originally thought.  It might not be one thing...but all of them put together.  Thanks for the feedback as it's definitely given me some additional ideas.  

It also got me thinking that I have never played a fantasy setting skirmish game..maybe I'll have to get a Warlord or Song of Blades and Heroes game going.  I'm thinking 90% of the stuff I saw as unusable for me like the crypt would be GREAT for that.

• Like 5

I got into wargaming (WarmaHordes) because of minis, not the other way around. I was horrible at making terrain. I have a wall and a hedge that I made myself. I have a papercraft burnt-out house. Then along comes Bones 2, and DDS2. A ruined tower? In Bonesium? Man, that will be indestructible! Yeah, it's heavier than papercraft and floral foam, but man is that thing awesome. Now I have a full-fledged cemetery? With fences and a crypt? Reaper is filling my needs more than any other miniatures company.

GW? Expensive and easily broken.

GF9? Less expensive, less easily broken.

Reaper Bones? Even less expensive and virtually indestructible.

I can use a lot of it in an RPG, too! Great set-pieces for boss fights, and such.

• Like 8

I'm looking forward to my crypt. I am a big fan of Ravenloft and city landscapes for my adventures.

So I am sure it will see a lot of use. I probably would not have bought it without it being a bones sculpt.

• Like 4

I got into wargaming (WarmaHordes) because of minis, not the other way around. I was horrible at making terrain. I have a wall and a hedge that I made myself. I have a papercraft burnt-out house. Then along comes Bones 2, and DDS2. A ruined tower? In Bonesium? Man, that will be indestructible! Yeah, it's heavier than papercraft and floral foam, but man is that thing awesome. Now I have a full-fledged cemetery? With fences and a crypt? Reaper is filling my needs more than any other miniatures company.

I can use a lot of it in an RPG, too! Great set-pieces for boss fights, and such.

I understand!  Sometimes I also forget, the guy who taught me to paint almost 30 years ago also did museum and commission pieces and taught me how easy it was to make foam, plaster and resin terrain.  So I guess that makes more sense.  I got into the hobby before there was literally any terrain you could buy at all.  That's another thing I forget.  If you had terrain back then..it was because you learned to make it...you could only make your own so everyone learned.  Plaster and foil makes really easy rocky surfaces, and it's pretty easy to make foam ruins or create your own molds for resin casts.  That being said....probably cheaper dollars and cents wise to do it by purchasing bones for some of this stuff...if I still used a lot of terrain.  I totally get that. So it's the combination of knowing it...but also not using it much anymore.  I'm starting to get this from the other point of view a bit more.

• Like 5

I've got to agree here.  I would confess, however, that I absolutely love Games Workshop BITZ {sic} -- especially if I can get them on the cheap from someone else who just assembled a basic model and didn't want to glue on any extra frou-frou stuff.  I've made passable buildings just out of foam-core, insulation board, and craft sticks, but spice it up with a few detailed windows, hanging lanterns, torch sconces, gargoyles/grotesques, a weathervane ... and suddenly it really pops.  

But more of an obstacle, Games Workshop buildings are made with a sort of "hyper-scale" aesthetic -- there's no way anybody could really LIVE comfortably inside the cramped space of that so-called "Fortified Manor," after all -- so really it's the little decorative bits that are the most useful to me, since I can space them out to my heart's content when I'm making floor tiles and occasional spot furnishings, rather than trying to cram everything into a pretty little cottage or tower meant to occupy part of a table with entire armies marching outside in formation.  Either that, or my players are just going to have accept a tendency for cottages and manors and watchtowers to suddenly seem a lot larger on the inside than they looked on the outside, as a concession to the necessity to make room for 25-32mm bases for the figures to stand on, even though an interior doorway in real life would only be maybe 2.5 feet wide (translating into only half a base width or so), and a hallway not much wider than that.

• Like 5

One thing that I think we as gamers/painters/crafters tend to forget is that not everybody has the time or the talent to pick up the skills involved in making your own terrain. Or the basic tools and/or available space to do so.

Take me, for example... I grew up in a crafty family - if we didn't have something we needed and couldn't find it or buy it somewhere, we just went down into the garage and made it. When I got to elementary school I was dumbfounded to discover that not everybody made their own toys or owned a full set of real half-sized tools. When I was three, I was building forts for my action figures out of sticks, dirt and string...at seven people would pay me a dollar to build their snow forts because they'd still be standing at the end of the winter after there was no snow left on the ground.

I've dabbled in everything from baking to carpentry and metalsmithing to FX makeup. I have absolutely no problem starting a project with absolutely no idea how to accomplish it and just figuring it out as I go along. Making and creating things comes so easily, I sometimes find myself confused as to why people look at me like I just sprouted an extra head when I start rattling off six different crafty solutions to their problem...

And then I remember that not everybody has craft skills, nevermind actually having any vague kind of talent for it - in fact, not everybody has the capability to learn those skills. I personally know about six people who can barely make a sandwich without suffering some major industrial accident or manage to stack LEGOs straight.

For a lot of people, even the very idea of actually making their own terrain is so completely alien to them that it would never cross their mind in a million years.

• Like 7