Sign in to follow this  
emmagine

77012 Gnoll Warrior Test figure

Critique please!

This is the test fig for my gnoll contingent that came with one of my bones kick starter sets.   The rest are about half way done, but I wanted to get feedback before I got all the work done on all of them so I can take said feedback into account.

post-14288-0-85411600-1437934848_thumb.jpg

Edited by emmagine
  • Like 15

Nice. My only critique would be that the skin and armor are very similar colors and tend to blend together. You may want to consider darklining around the armor plates and the armor straps to better separate them visually from the rest of him.

• Like 2

There's some lovely shading on the scale armor, but yeah - contrast would be my main criticism.  Even just darkening the fur slightly would help make the figure pop.

• Like 1

The armor plates are done in a metallic copper, which in real life present with a stark difference to the fur, as such I hadn't noticed the color similarities.  Thank you for the feedback, I would have messed that up likely on the entire unit without it.   I'll show the more contrasted version when I post pic's of the entire unit.

• Like 1

Nice. My only critique would be that the skin and armor are very similar colors and tend to blend together. You may want to consider darklining around the armor plates and the armor straps to better separate them visually from the rest of him.

That's exactly what I was thinking, too.

Looking forward to the new pics!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lazarp
      Gave this model a different arm and hand pose, sculpted a wooden stick and used a resin bit from avatars of war necromancer for the spear head. This was a speedpaint that took probably around an hour. Thanks for looking!

The original model:

• By planetmut
      Sir Guinemar the Righteous takes his loyal pooch Worral with him on all his adventures. Worral is a good companion, a devoted friend and useful for catching rabbits. He wears a jaunty hat with a feather in it because Sir Guinemar discovered that it makes his doggo an absolute babe magnet.

After years of searching, Sir Guinemar finally found the legendary lost treasure of Lord Nicholai Brevil, reputedly the wealthiest man in the five kingdoms, in the ruins of Aeckland Castle. After giving a quick prayer of thanks, Sir Guinemar heard a noise somewhere in the dungeon and went to check it out, leaving Worral to guard the hoard of gold, silver and gemstones.

That was 30 minutes ago.

Worral has just noticed that Sir Guinemar forgot his sword.

(Treasure chest by Debris of War; doggo by RBJ Games; sword by Reaper. And if you could find it in your hearts to ignore the fingerprints in the greenstuff flagstones, that would be great.)

• By Kangaroorex
      I recently finished kaphrixis using the scale 75 copper metallics.  It's for a gift so it needs to be sealed and I am at a loss as to what to use.  Using either a glosscoat or a dullcote will change the brightness of the metal.  Does anyone  have suggestions on which way to go?  Or is there another option?  If it were to remain mine I would just put it in the display case unsealed.

Thanks for any help.
    • By Glitterwolf
      I got this old GW Mordheim Witchhunter Wardog from a BOGW, he came primed black.
      Decided to paint him as an Akita so he could be included in my Nippon Project as Mariko's companion.

WIP here:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79416-nippon-land-of-the-rising-moon-by-glitterwolf/&page=10&tab=comments#comment-1829755

Here he is and in the last pic he's shown with his friend Mariko.

• By stormbreach
      Hi guys, back again after a long absence... again.  I took a very long time to paint something that was supposed to be a speed paint.  I was painting a Bones Finari and wasn't happy with the cast so I was just trying to get her done quick to get her off the shelf but then everything went wrong with the paint job and I stalled out for a long time.  I'm not posting her because I wasn't happy but I've finally moved on.  This is my Gnoll Warrior.  I kind of like him.  He is part of my new strategy to just paint and get used to the motions and not try to be perfect all the time.  Trying to be perfect puts more minis on shelves of shame instead of in display cabinets.  I thought his mane looked a lot like a mohawk so I decided that maybe he would dye it in the colours of his tribe or clan or war party or whatever.  I thought it was neat.  If I did it again I would maybe use more muted colours but this first time I was afraid maybe muted colours would fade out and go unnoticed.  I was happy with the eye and jaws on his right side but not his left (which is why there are no good pictures of his left side ).  But here he is, he's imperfect and I'm happy with him!  Comments are welcome as always!

• Who's Online   24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 190 Guests (See full list)