Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Reaper Bones 3: Post-Kickstarter Discussion

I've always been amazed at how well Reaper can pack their shipping boxes. Does someone in the warehouse perform studies on packing or trial by error?

Trial by error. Be just take the components and fiddle with the, Once you've done it for a few days, spatial awareness of the components gets pretty easy. Our boxers are just very good at figuring out how to pack effectively, or they don't stay boxers for long.

I actually wouldn't have been surprised to find out that Reaper had a sort of 'packing tetris for beginners' crash course; the box-tetris your packers can manage is fair impressive, on the Kickstarter scale. ^^;

Not quite ten pounds of stuff in a five pound box, but as close as makes no never mind, especially considering the random sacks of dragon and the like that also go in.

It was the first KS that did the big cases, right? I was rather entertained when that came in, because there was CASE, and then there were boxes of dragon, and then boxes of paint and sacks of everything else and it was so neatly done I was almost sorry to unbox it so I could take inventory. ^^;

• Like 7

I would probably add 1 of the expansions. And maybe some more giants, and more ogres and I am only getting 5 sets of hobgoblins... (well 7 sets if you count the 2 from the core sets...) so maybe add 3 more to make 10 total.

I don't know, I really don't need anything else but the once in a lifetime aspect of this makes me want more....

Oh, I would probably add more of the $7.00 pathfinder sets that have the hellknights and red mantis assassin.

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 4

Just an FYI for all here. I got my refund very promptly (and subsequently spent a portion of it on Bones I had been wanting via retail, I know, I'm crazy). Reaper has been accommodating an cordial throughout  the process. 

• Like 13

One reason I oppose it is from a PR standpoint it's too easy to interpret such a move as "they're hemorrhaging cash because of angry backers, we're all doomed they're making a desperate cash grab and doom and misery upon us all!" That's a signal I VERY MUCH want to make sure the backers never recieve, especially when it's groundless*.  A second reason to oppose it is simply that we've completed all calculations on how many bases and sprues to make, and order numbers are final, and logistically, I'd much rather have about 50 people (lifetime of the project, see below) cancel and leave me with extra inventory than to have a few hundred of you very enthusiastic supporters suddenly mean we don't have enough of something (Shades of CAV fulfillment creep in here,  where we left he PM open after final orders were calcualted and just didn't account properly for the enthusiasm of those fans).

Just to add my little $0.02, I would agree with you about not re-opening the PM, if for no other reason than it will mess with your estimates of how much initial Bones 3 inventory you'll have to work with. Also, the PR thing, which hadn't occurred to me.

I am glad that those who have requested refunds have by and large been civil and pleasant to deal with.

The delay is frustrating for everybody, especially you guys! While I'm itching to get my hands on Ma'al, I wasn't expecting to start painting him until January anyways.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 11

I'd add T'raukzul, one or two sets from the core and the fire giant bodyguards. Retail would be fine, too. I already have a lot of individual Bones 3 minis on my retail list. Either way it'll be way more minis than I can paint. lol

• Like 5

I would add colored weapon sprues, as I only added clear. Other than that, I am content. 

Those weapon sprues can wait until retail with no skin off my back.

• Like 5

$88 plus shipping, including the $1 thank you. Scaled way back with this one, most notably by skipping the core set.

I also skipped the core this time and cherry picked instead.   

As for what I paid...

I'll take the fifth :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Fifth of what? Whiskey?

Actually I ended up with a quite reasonable total this time. (It counts as reasonable as long as it's less than the first two KS's righ?) and mostly just picked up large models rather than quantity of models.

Well as long as you don't count the 50 Blackstar Corsairs as quantity.

I'm going to stop talking now.

• Like 5

Now, I'm not saying this is a good idea, but maybe rebrand the Pledge Manager as a Bones Preorder system. Separate it completely from Kickstarter, and maybe not even touch the KS email list.

The thinking I've got is that there are a lot of out-of-stock Bones (at least in my impression; it seems to come up as a topic often). So maybe every 6 months or so there is a Reaper Bones Restock event (which funnily enough in my head, Mr Bones is the perfect mascot), and you collect a bunch of preorders for the items you were planning to reorder anyway to add (er, or subtract I suppose) to the next reorder.

Or not. Mild headache and Monday morning mental impairment are doing a number on my cognizant thinking.

Personally, I wouldn't add anything were either a PM or Preorder happen. So.... why am I posting this. Eh.

• Like 4

Now, I'm not saying this is a good idea, but maybe rebrand the Pledge Manager as a Bones Preorder system. Separate it completely from Kickstarter, and maybe not even touch the KS email list.

The thinking I've got is that there are a lot of out-of-stock Bones (at least in my impression; it seems to come up as a topic often). So maybe every 6 months or so there is a Reaper Bones Restock event (which funnily enough in my head, Mr Bones is the perfect mascot), and you collect a bunch of preorders for the items you were planning to reorder anyway to add (er, or subtract I suppose) to the next reorder.

Or not. Mild headache and Monday morning mental impairment are doing a number on my cognizant thinking.

Personally, I wouldn't add anything were either a PM or Preorder happen. So.... why am I posting this. Eh.

While we have certainly discussed whether there were additional effective ways to use the PM infrastructure to generate revenue without adding overhead, and ideas not dissimilar to this have been floated, at this time, we are focused on running this pretty much as it has been for 5 years

The more KS a company runs the more people expect them to factor in previous issues and delays when they come up with a timeframe.

If all your Kickstarter's are late then add on an additional chunk of time to allot for it. like a extra 6 month China factory buffer.

Edit- just looking at the old Ks and times and it looks like they did throw more time on this one, china is just tough to deal with.

Or for some companies (cough Mierce cough) just put the delivery date 5 years....

I know that Bryan gave an official answer to this, but...

I sometimes have to wonder if vendors who know they're doing fulfillment for KS projects look at the KS projects themselves and use those estimates to figure out how late they can be without pissing too many people off.  Something like this:

KS Creator:  "How long will it take to deliver this product to me?"

Chinese Company: "We can ship it 3 months from the day you pay for it."

KS Creator: ".and how long will shipping take?"

Chinese Company: "It usually takes 2 months."

KS Creator during project planning: "OK, if the KS project is 30 days, that's the month of January, and it takes another 30 days to get payment from them which means I can pay for it March 1st, plus 3 months for China to ship it means they ship it by July 1st, and 2 months for it to get to me which means I get it around September 1st, and it will take 30 days for me to pack and ship it, which means fulfillment in October.  Let's add in 4 months for a buffer, so I'll put the fulfillment as February of next year.

Chinese Company checking the project site after the order has been placed: "Oh look, we told him we could ship by July, but he don't need it until next year. We have plenty of time to get this done..."

• Like 5