Reaper Bones 3: Post-Kickstarter Discussion

Is it me or are we just in the "are we there yet?" part of these trip. Look I want the bones3 as much as any man or woman but Reaper is waiting on China, they said as much. Wait until when? They are not sure.... Ok? Move on nothing to see here. If you doubt their ability to deliver, than  you missed the last 2 bones KS. My advice is to forget about it and celebrate the large surprise when its on your doorstep.

AJ

• Like 9
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but I also stalk this page and the kickstarter page. So info that has been posted, I am aware. But not all of the backers do that. Some get rude, some don't. I just think civility goes both ways. This forum is usually upbeat and positive.

But yes, it will be glorious when stuff arrives and even more glorious when bones 4 starts!

• Like 4

I am at the point where delays are just ruining kickstarter for me. I will continue to back Reaper cuz they are pretty good, but that may be all I do on kickstarter.

I do think though that as long as your backers are being polite or at least not outright rude, and you are sitting on a 4 month, 6 month delay then it is your responsibility to answer any questions and do so with the customer service that should be standard practice. I understand that it is frustrating repeating the same answers, especially if that answer is "we don't know" but when you let that frustration show in your answer the people asking start getting frustrated too

Very well said Smokestack. 

I'm not at the point where Kickstarters have become frustrating for me yet. It does seem like the smaller projects are getting more appealing as boxes keep showing up. Storage is becoming the real stumbling block. *he says as he considers another expansion for KD:M

• Like 2

Do you have everything?

No, we are still waiting for the final shipment from China.

I feel like this needs to be at the top of the next update.

I know all the forumites think it was super clear in the last update. The first time I read through the update I read through it like most non-super-fans probably do, super quick and on my phone. And in my first pass I didn't feel it was explicit that it wasn't the last container. I knew it wasn't, because I had been reading on the forums here and ReaperBryan had stated it wasn't going to be the last one and the bit about still trying to figure out what was in it and what wasn't.

ReaperBryan probably spends 30-40 minutes (if not more) crafting the wording for these updates. Meaning he thinks about it and reads it over and over. And knows what's going on so anything that's "implied" seems obvious to him. To your regular person who stepped away from their desk to breeze through the update real quick, they aren't going to get this clarity. I don't mind being "wrong" on this, I just think it would have helped with the last several updates if the first sentence was: "We still don't know when the last container will be shipping from China. As soon as we have that date, we'll let you know. Meanwhile, here's some cool stuff..." I sort of hate to agree with some of the angry KS commenters, but knowing the ship date of the NOT last container isn't of any real excitement to me.

• Like 7

but knowing the ship date of the NOT last container isn't of any real excitement to me.

We explained the current shipment to show that the revised timeline we gave is on course - that is, we expected a shipment of X items in mid-December, and now it is mid-december, did this happen as expected? Yes.

Sometimes literally the only good news i have is "hey, the plan hasn't gotten derailed even further"

And if I hadn't mentioned this shipment as on schedule after having discussed it in Oct/Nov, people would be complaining that we weren't updating them about this

but knowing the ship date of the NOT last container isn't of any real excitement to me.

We explained the current shipment to show that the revised timeline we gave is on course - that is, we expected a shipment of X items in mid-December, and now it is mid-december, did this happen as expected? Yes.

Sometimes literally the only good news i have is "hey, the plan hasn't gotten derailed even further"

And if I hadn't mentioned this shipment as on schedule after having discussed it in Oct/Nov, people would be complaining that we weren't updating them about this

We all understand that, and we're happy to read about those ships in the update, but we were not talking about the ships that are on the way. We were talking about the ships that aren't on the water. That situation wasn't stated clearly in the update. Even some of us who follow the forum weren't clear on what the situation was.

Most people know how to take the good news with the bad. 

• Like 2

As my husband likes to say, "Communication is hard."

I know most tech professionals have struggled with the art of writing effective emails. Because everyone gets too much email, and most people can't carefully read all of it. You have hit the intersection of empathy and wanting to give helpful advice. Unfortunately on the internet this sounds snarky, and I don't think it's intended to be.

Bryan, I hope you get a break with some holiday time with family and friends before the January frenzy begins.

• Like 7

Yeah, I think it's that many people don't really care when the intermediate steps get finished if it doesn't translate whatsoever into when they will get the products in their hands. They just want to know the final date. '90% complete' or whatever doesn't mean anything in the context of when it will arrive. So for those skimming, they see a date and make assumptions without finishing the rest of the email.

This is hard, because no final date is known, and it can't really be estimated yet, so you can't provide people with the date they're looking for.

(Edit: I read these fully and understand what's going on, and I'm very okay with how it's being run)

Edited by Ravendas
  • Like 3

I'm also in the "not in any hurry" camp. I'm still puzzling out where I'm going to store all the new shiny things. I also understand that many backers are not clear about what still needs to ship out, and why they feel frustrated. Some backers really are unreasonable and offensive. Others have reasonable concerns and questions. They are very different groups of people that are all too often thrown under the same bus by the "anything but absolute support is heresy" brigade. It's shameful to see people with valid concerns or simple misunderstandings get dismissed or personally insulted when they raise their voice to ask a question. Sometimes the super fans can be every bit as nasty and the critics. Occasionally they can be worse.

But it's also nice to note that Bones kickstarters have much less of this going on than most miniature kickstarters. Less often, but it still happens.

• Like 6

I'm also in the "not in any hurry" camp. I'm still puzzling out where I'm going to store all the new shiny things. I also understand that many backers are not clear about what still needs to ship out, and why they feel frustrated. Some backers really are unreasonable and offensive. Others have reasonable concerns and questions. They are very different groups of people that are all too often thrown under the same bus by the "anything but absolute support is heresy" brigade. It's shameful to see people with valid concerns or simple misunderstandings get dismissed or personally insulted when they raise their voice to ask a question. Sometimes the super fans can be every bit as nasty and the critics. Occasionally they can be worse.

But it's also nice to note that Bones kickstarters have much less of this going on than most miniature kickstarters. Less often, but it still happens.

Good news! None of the Bones are particularly shiny!

::D:

Or is that not helpful?

• Like 5

Or is that not helpful?

Maaaaybe... satin? The smooth parts are a little shiny, Okay, so maybe it's only in my mind, but I do tend to use Dullcote after I paint them.  ::P:

• Like 2

Or is that not helpful?

Eh.. Define helpful? I mean, some of them are kind of shiny, depending on the light level and... *grin*

Anyway. Having seen some of the comments, and been floored at the level of non-comprehension demonstrated, I'm not sure that even h1, bolded, bright RED text that concisely explains the current level of completion and the fact that an ETA remains unknown will do much good.

You can't please everyone, sadly. Bryan has been doing his best, Reaper's been doing their best, and I don't think anyone can ask any more of them than that. I do appreciate the lengths they've been going to and at this point, all I can really say is Thank You. And wish copious amounts of rest and a relaxing holiday on them. ^^;

• Like 5