Reaper Bones 3: Post-Kickstarter Discussion

Reaperbryan

Maybe I can't count.... but Jan 28th to Feb 4th seems like a week to me... a week of working days, with a weekend at either end. But then again, I have been wrong about things before.

This is kind of par for the course for china manufacturing...

I had taken a project management course a couple of years ago, there were 4 students, and the instructor who had previously done manufacturing projects with Chinese partners or sub contractors. All five of them had stories about how hard it was to get any sort of accurate progress report. The only thing that seemed to fix the problem was having someone on site constantly in the factory, and even that only really worked well if the factory didn't know they were there to inspect.

so you have my sympathies, and I hope that they will feel motivated to get back to it after vacation.

And don't forget being fluent in Mandarin with the ability to understand some to most of whatever regional dialect(s) are common in the factory.

yes.

in this case the spy was a local secretary.

• Like 4

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we all agree...China is the problem....

you have no idea how many meetings we've had trying to figure out if there was any way WE could have done anything at all to avoid this delay, and we can't figure out anything. We have no communication as to why there are delays, maybe they had another client whose job took precedence, maybe the stars weren't in alignment, maybe mars is in retrograde. We've analyzed our communication and actions to death and come up with bupkis

I can't possibly imagine what it's like to run a million dollar project.

All I can say is, thank you for your efforts, from the looks of it the containers are slowly coming...but they ARE coming.

Feng Shui must be good now...

• Like 7

So we all agree...China is the problem....

Yep. Want it cheaper? Expect delays.

Y'know. Like KS.  ^_^

You do understand why China is cheaper right. I mean we all know we just don't talk about it.

its not like businesses in other countries have an option either. Its not that its cheaper....its the only way to stay in business.

I'm glad to know what's going on and I thank ReaperBryan for his diligent work on letting us know what's going on. Good work man.
I do think I'm not quite cut out for Kickstarter though. This was the first of two projects I backed, and the roller coaster of "we're almost there, nevermind" since way back in September for bones 3 has made me feel quite exhausted.

I don't blame reaper, I think I'll just continue my support in retail format.

• Like 5

If I was reaper I would demand a partial refund for such a delay....

That's a fun thought process, and you might be able to get the manager at chili's to take 10% off for such things, but it doesn't work that way with multi-million dollar Purchase Orders and international contracts.

There's an awful lot of armchair quarterbacking in the comments section from people that I'm sure have decades of experience managing multimillion dollar international projects, all of which seem to think that the same approach they take when they yell at their server for adding tomatoes when they distinctly said "no tomatoes" fixes literally everything. That if we just raise our voices and insist, that they'll immediately fall into compliance and that's it, or at least give us a free scoop of vanilla ice cream for our trouble

I've already complained on here (I think) about a several million dollar contract I worked on with an American company that started out cooperative and then became impossible and uncooperative a few years later.

It got so bad we weren't even talking to one another at the working level anymore, everything was going from our executives to their executives. And yet, people within my own company seemed to think we could strong arm them into cooperating. I was at an internal meeting and a manager in another department was upset at me that I didn't have information from the uncooperative company and said something like, "well that sounds like it should be raised up to VP Bob" as if that would show them. I explained I wasn't even talking to them anymore because VP Bob was the lowest level talking to their executives and that it was all we could do to just keep working through this. When you've been working with someone on a long project like that you can't suddenly start penalizing them for this or that, because honestly you're so invested you're going to need to work with them several years later.

Communication and honesty was our biggest problem. There was no language barrier, and they basically gave up tens of millions of dollars of future income that would have been theirs if they weren't so impossible. So it does not surprise me at all that a factory that only has incentive to finish one contract at a time, doesn't speak the same language, and has a lot of cultural differences as you've stated could have so many more problems. We had enough problems with companies that wanted to be honest and wanted the programs to be successful. I wonder how many people who've supposedly worked these big contracts and think just talking to the factory could help have ever worked with a bad vendor.

• Like 9

You do understand why China is cheaper right. I mean we all know we just don't talk about it.

its not like businesses in other countries have an option either. Its not that its cheaper....its the only way to stay in business.

I feel like this post suggests that the reason for the savings is something unsavory, mostly because of how cagey you were in avoiding saying why.

Let me state with absolute confidence, because Ed has personally flown to their factory twice and observed, that they do not use child or slave labor, and they do pay their employees the standard wages of the area in which they are located. While it is true that those wages are low relative to similar jobs in US markets, they are not substandard or poverty-like "slave wages" that amount to token wages that only give you enough money to force you to be reliant upon them. It is, by their standards, a reasonable income.