Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Reaper Bones 3: Post-Kickstarter Discussion

I think I'm gonna be debating the DVDs right up to the end...

That's only something like three weeks left now, don't debate too long!

• Like 2

/waves hand

The debate is over. You want the DVDs

• Like 4

/waves hand

The debate is over. You want the DVDs

Wanting the DVDs is not in question! I want all the DVDs. I can't afford all the DVDs. I'm also unclear as to their actual value, given the prolific number of videos and other tutorials online for free already that I don't take advantage of.

• Like 3

The sets are many hours of tutelage from one or two specific painters in each set, so the style is pretty consistent. They're filmed by professionals, with GOOD, well-lit close-ups of the mini WHILE they actually slap on the paint. 

And instead of spending 3 minutes on a topic, they devote 20 - 30 minutes, explaining why they do it that way and why it works for them.

Here's the official trailer to the Jen & Anne DVD set:

(I hope I don't break the rules too much linking to it?)

The question isn't whether to buy the DVDs or not, but whether you you want them cheaply but delivered in in september or later, or if you want to pay more and get them now... 

I own the Jen & Anne's and Marike's sets, already. I WILL add at least one of the other two sets soon. 

• Like 4

On the topic of the DVD sets...

Is there anywhere we can see finished pieces by the various DVD artists? Different painters have different styles, and I would like to be able to choose which DVD(s) to buy based on the style(s) presented.

• Like 1

Search terms (because I don't want to violate the commerce rules inadvertently):

• Marike Reimer
  • Jen Haley Miniatures
  • Anne Foerster
  • Brushmistress
  • Hot Lead Miniatures

Those should get you to the right people.

• Like 3

Found this on Marike Reimer' site.  The other DVD she mentions is the Jen and Ann set, since the trailer starts with prep and base-coating. 

This is an intermediate to advanced level DVD, so the time is devoted to explaining the cool stuff. (If you want to learn about the basics, such as priming and prep work, I recommend Darksword’s first DVD.)

Now I just need to decided concentrate on basics or advanced things such as feathers, free hand and fabrics.... 

on amazon they have 4.5 and 5 stars but only 4 reviews each so not much to work from.  

I still have budget for 1 DVD set... plus a dragon. cause I always seem to want  need  another dragon. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 2

For what its worth, I have most of these and I like the Hot Lead and Marike sets the best.  For me they offer the best set of tools for me to work from. 

• Like 1

If you had $10 to play with, what would you add?

Well, if you're asking ME... more mouslings ^_^

Artbook if not already chosen.

Frost Giants and Ogres are good choices too.

Got the art book, not really into the giants and ogres. I have multiples of the two giants from KS1, and while they are cool, I don't really have a use for them.  

Our current game group seems to prefer sci-fi, modern and superheroes, so I was really really hoping for chronoscope characters in this KS, but it was not to be.  Would have really loved to get the cultists or the characters from the mythos expansion. 

Right now we're looking at a 2nd set of graveyard walls, as DH has a diorama he's been working on since the beginning of time and I can swing the extra $2.  (no big tax refund for us this year).  

• Like 3

Well, upped my total pledge from a modest, restrained $249 to a less modest $348. ::D: Most of that was finally getting the Graveyard expansion one of the DVD sets. We'd debated the Graveyard set since it was revealed, and the DVDs will be useful at helping us get stuff painted. (I hope!)

I'm starting to get excited about my goodies arriving!!

• Like 7

Painted Ma'aldrakar! ::o:

I'm also liking the giant jailor, with the keys and lock just hanging from his neck.

• Like 3