Just as it sounds. Of all the dragons released for the Bones 3 kickstarter, which color dragon do they resemble most from D&D or Pathfinder? And we're going to set aside the great oogly moogly, that one is a special case. :P

You don't have to limit yourself to chromatic or metallic, any of the dragon types will do. If they resemble a particular kind, I want to hear your opinion.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I ask because I'm content with what I've ordered but I'm still considering going all out and purchasing every dragon in the kickstarter, and I need to know what color scheme to paint all of them before I truly commit. I know that Stormwing is obviously a blue dragon, but the others I'm not so clear about.

Have you looked into the metal versions? Generally each has a color scheme as it was the cover of the box art.

off the top of my head

Marth is a red

Viridus is a green

Diabolus is a red-orange shade

Lavarath is a red

S'Wing is a blue

T'Rak original is ared

Kyphrixis (Bones Original but I heard is suppose to be a Bronze)

Behir (306) are generally blue

Temple (Reaper & I think it's painted red)

& of course Mal'

who is based off Tiamat

• Like 3

The beauty of painting the dragons is that it doesn't matter what they are "supposed to or officially" look like. The real question should be "what color do YOU think it should be?". The answer of course being different for each person.

• Like 5

I'm totally painting the new T'rak as a gold.

Kyphryxis looks imminently metallic, but I'm not sure what flavor just yet.

And the rest will fall where they may, afaik at this point.

My mental images of D&D dragons are from the 3ed draconomicaon (such pretty artwork) 

blue dragons have rhino nose horns,

black have horns on the sides of their heads,  

whites have a  fin-like head spike,

greens have webbing between the spikes on their neck/back 

but for Maladrakkar what color is his body? 

I have always pictured it as green but red or black could also work well. 

none of his heads have horn patterns that I associate with specific colors.  It will be interesting in the 7 day challenge to see how many different patterns emerge. 

Kyphrixis is friendly looking, so if you do alignment colors, silver, brass, copper could all work.  traditionally golds are more majestic and bronzes more warlike. 

Temple Dragon, does not have a shape similar to any D&D dragon. But its size makes it suitable for a young dragon of any color. 

I didn't see any obvious D&D color markings on the others. 

(Other bones) 

Blightfang has a leafy scale pattern, it might be fun to paint as autum colors, but green is the standard (unless your siri who painted it blue) 

DDS2 I am painting Red, cause my largest dragon should be red. 

Narthaex I am painting black, because it looks very aggressive and I use alot of blacks in my games.

Silver Dragon (s) painted one white and the other will probably be brass - its not in an aggresive stance, so suitable for non combat role - 

- once painted any yellowy metallic color ill use it for brass/bronze/copper as needed. 

Ebonmaw - clearly has black dragon horns 

Edited by Evilhalfling

Well Tiamat had a red body to go with 5 colored heads. I've always believed since the red dragon is the strongest of the chromatic dragons, that is why she is that color. For Mal' more then likely I'll prob paint it the same as it's the most familiar to me. Thou a black or green does sound interesting.

Well Tiamat had a red body to go with 5 colored heads. I've always believed since the red dragon is the strongest of the chromatic dragons, that is why she is that color. For Mal' more then likely I'll prob paint it the same as it's the most familiar to me. Thou a black or green does sound interesting.

Depends on which Tiamat.

The 1e Monster Manual has this description: "These colors run the length of each neck and into the forepart of the body as stripes, gradually blending into three stripes of grey, blue-green, and purple over her back and hind quarters, and merging into a muddy dark brown tail. Her underbelly and legs are greenish white fading into her upper body colors."

• Like 1

Oh, I know I can paint it any color, but I'm trying to get similarities down pat because I want them to look as close to the generally accepted dragons as possible. I know that Cinder, Stormwing, Ebonwrath, Deathsleet and Blightfang are all similar to the D&D 3rd Edition dragons red, blue, black, white and green, respectively. As for the others, I'm trying to get a physical approximation of what dragons the figures look like. The Reaper Silver dragon looks a lot like a bronze dragon, come to think of it.